It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-31-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mwangler is on a distinguished road
Default Do Indoor Cats Live Longer Than Outdoor Cats?

Hi,

I recently produced a short documentary film on indoor vs outdoor cats and addressed topics such as nutrition, health, injuries, diseases and neutering.

A vet's advice (who treats 2,000 cats p.a.) is included! Eventually, he will answer the question whether indoor cats live a better and longer life than outdoor cats.

Watch DIRTY PAWS here: youtu.be/uK0KEssN3Ss

Best wishes,
Martin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-05-2015   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

butterflyH is on a distinguished road

Yes they are way healthier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-19-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyDesires is on a distinguished road
Default Yes they do

Hey, yes generally speaking they do live a lot longer than outdoor cats. I read somewhere that indoor cats can live up to 4 times longer than outdoor cats. Besides indoor cats being healthier they also stay out of many dangers that the outdoors bring eg.cars, disease etc.
Unread 12-24-2015   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

fosterkitten is on a distinguished road

Yes and no. I think that to gather the information they take the means of ages. Remember that indoor only cats are more susceptible to boredom and obesity. My cat has been indoor/outdoor and he's 10 years old. My other cat passed away at 8 years due to a heart condition but he was also indoor/outdoor. His heart condition was unrelated. I also cat-sit for people who have indoor/outdoor cats who are 12+ years and are healthy. For me, it depends on location. I would not have an indoor/outdoor cat if I lived in an apartment, if my neighbors disliked cats, there were known loose dogs, coyotes, or other predators, etc. luckily for me we live in a cat friendly area. There are a couple neighborhood cats that everyone knows but they have homes to go to at the end of the day. Of course there is always the fist of cat fights but I personay think the decision should be made on a case by case basis instead of just assuming that if you let your cat be indoor/outdoor they will only live to be 4 years old. To me, that's ridiculous. Keep them updated on vaccines and know their routine. I foster for a shelter that only adopts out to indoor only homes so I'm well versed in the reasons why to keep a cat indoors. My answer is based on personal experience. Many people I know have indoor/outdoor cats who are happy and healthy. Too often I see people with indoor only cats that allow them to get incredibly fat and they display destructive behaviors likely brought on by boredom. They believe they are good cat owners because they don't let their cats outside but what I see is sad. If you choose to have an indoor only cat it is important to keep their lives fun. They need enrichment. - just something to consider
Unread 01-28-2016   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

According to me, Yes. Generally speaking, they do live a lot longer than outdoor cats. I read somewhere that indoor cats can live up to 4 times longer than outdoor cats. Besides indoor cats being healthier they also stay out of the many dangers that the outdoors, bring eg. Cars, disease, etc.

Tags
advice , apartment , cats , dogs , fights , foster , friendly , fun , happy , health , healthy , hey , homes , indoor , indoor/outdoor , neutering , nutrition , obesity , outdoor , question , sad , shelter , vet

Sponsored Cat Links