It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-21-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Ioana is on a distinguished road
Default Please HELP!!! Bald spot on my cat?

Hi, I need help in knowing what this bald spot can be on my cats back.
I notice that his furr color starting changing colors in just that spot a couple of months ago but there was no bald spot, I know this because I do brush him every 2 days. Today I noticed the bald spot and I am freakin out.
Abit about Mitu, the cat:
He is 2 years old. He is on Lysine as the doctor said because he has the herpes virus. He eats 1 can of wet food a day ( half morning, half night) plus some kibbles in between. He pees two times a day and poops once normaly. I didn't notice any changes in his behavior. He has days with great energy and some days where he is calmer
He also had abit of dandruff on his lower back and I gave him some fish oil for it but now he seems to not have it anymore.
Anyone can tell me what this change in color and bald spot can be?
I will go to the doctor if necessary but he is so scared of other people and of the outside that I want to spear him that stress as much as possible.
Please, can someone help?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-21-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Skin problems in cats can be very difficult to diagnose and treat and your vet is going to have to be the first step.

But I do have some questions. Is he licking the area to make it bald, or has the fur just fallen out? Is there any kind of wound or sore in the bald spot?

Do you use a flea treatment on him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-21-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Skin problems in cats can be very difficult to diagnose and treat and your vet is going to have to be the first step.

But I do have some questions. Is he licking the area to make it bald, or has the fur just fallen out? Is there any kind of wound or sore in the bald spot?

Do you use a flea treatment on him?
Hi, no, he is not licking it, no scraching and he is not bother by it, eeven if I touch the area he is fine. What started happening was that spot started turning into a light color and the hair there was softer and then after I brushed him I saw the bald spot. I don't know if the brushing could have made it worse. Also, no, no flea treatment. I will post some pictures in abit.

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0523-3.JPG

IMG_0523-3.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0528-2.JPG

IMG_0523-3.JPG

IMG_0526-2.JPG

here are the pictures of it
Unread 09-21-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I see what you mean. That is very puzzling.

What kind of l-lysine are you using? I always recommend the pure powder (what I use myself) because the "treats" and pastes contain so many undesirable ingredients.

It seems the change in the fur's color must have some relation to the bald spot, but I can't imagine what could have caused the whole issue.

One of my cats, a brown tabby with not a speck of white on her had an abscess once. The vet had to shave the fur around the abscess, so Mazy cat had a bald spot for a long time. After a few months I became resigned to the fact that maybe the fur was never going to grow back, when suddenly it did...pure white! So she has a pure white patch on her shoulder, it's so strange.

I realize this has nothing to do with your Mitu's situation. Or..maybe it does. He is an indoor cat?

I wonder if he had some scrape there that went unnoticed, and the fur fell out with the scab. But..no that wouldn't explain the change in fur color and texture.

Unless the scab and fur fell off and new fur grew in, and it was the new fur that was changed. But then why would it fall out again?

I seem to be talking in circles..just trying to think out loud. I'll keep thinking about this. I understand your reluctance to stress him by going to the vet, but if the bald spot continues to grow I don't see any way to avoid it.

You wouldn't happen to have a black light around would you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 09-22-2014   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi, I wrote you a big response but its says that it will be posted after a moderator sees it. I don't really know what that means but if its not posting I will write it again and let you more into Mitus life.

Tags
behavior , brown , carpet , cat , cats , changed , clean , color , eating , fish , fiv , food , fur , great , house , indoor , licking , loss , missing , morning , night , not eating , pictures , problems , scab , scared , stress , tabby , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links