It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Dead
Saffron is on a distinguished road
Question Eating too fast?

My little DMH Goku seems to eat way to fast. I'll give him a handful of food, about a quarter of a cup, and by the time I turn around and put his food bag away, it's half gone. He is ten months today and small for his age (maybe the runt), I feed him three times a day, the same amount of food and even that seems like it isn't enough for him. He constantly tries to steal food and get to his food bag, but if he eats anymore than his daily allotted amount of food, he gets fat and constipated.

He has been neutered and he is active, like any other crazy psycho kitten would be, but I would really like to try and break him of these food habits and not really sure how.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-25-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Most likely your kitten is acting this way because the food is not providing him with adequate nutrition. Dry food is very bad for cats, and they cannot digest most of the ingredients in it. In addition it is very high in carbohydrates, which just makes him hungrier.

Carbohydrates turn to sugar, and then that causes a drop in blood sugar making a cat feel hungry again. Very unhealthy for him, in addition to the lack of moisture in the food.

Since you already feed on a schedule it shouldn't be any trouble for you at all to change him over to a wet diet instead. That will eliminate any worry about constipation, for one thing. And it will keep him adequately hydrated, and if you feed a good quality food with few fillers, he will be more satisfied.

Pates are generally the best choice, they are usually lower in carbohydrates, more dense with nutrition. Avoid foods that have grains or glutens, or fruits and vegetables.

Better yet, get your boy on a balanced raw diet. You can feed commercial raw products (already balanced for you) or prey model raw (you buy the meat, organs and bones and figure out the correct balance) OR, the easiest way ever is to use regular muscle meat from the grocery store and use a balanced pre-mix to balance it out.

I recommend the Food Fur Life product EZ complete. Extremely superior quality ingredients, highly palatable (my cats love it) and very very easy.

Food Fur Life - Home

But no matter what, getting him off the dry food is the most important thing. It's very bad for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
addition , age , boy , cats , commercial , constipation , crazy , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fast , food , fur , healthy , hey , home , kitten , love , mat , money , nutrition , pounce , raw , runt , small , stealing , worry

Sponsored Cat Links