It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-18-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Dead
Saffron is on a distinguished road
Question Cleaning teeth.

I looked everywhere to try and find something I can use to clean my cats teeth with. Cat toothpaste is a little out of my price range and feeding him a little more important right now. He's used to me touching his face already, but I haven't tried putting my fingers in his mouth yet (he likes to bite). My aunt says to use baking soda and water, but I've brushed my teeth like that and it was a little abrasive (like sand almost), it might wear his enamel off. She also has some dog toothpaste, but it says for dogs on the front... Does anyone know what makes them different and can I use it for my cat? Thanks for the help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-18-2016   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
Blackkittycat49 is on a distinguished road

I use special cat treats that'll clean my kitty's teeth. You can find them at most pet stores.I find they aren't too expensive. Hopefully this helps

Martin Buber.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-19-2016   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please don't use baking soda on your cat's teeth. The best way to keep a cat's teeth healthy and tartar free is to feed a raw diet, with chunks of muscle meat and meaty bones.

Of course that takes learning about how to do it correctly first.

If you are feeding your cat a canned diet there are some products on the market that may be of some help, but I won't use any of them because they all contain things that are harmful to cats.

Adding a probiotic to his wet food twice a day will help too.

You might try just getting a little kitty tooth brush (make sure it is soft). Start by just getting him used to it rubbing along the side of his face. He may simply open his mouth and start chewing on it himself.

Most important is to feed your cat a species appropriate diet. This means NO DRY FOOD. In case you've been told otherwise, kibble does not clean teeth. That would be like saying you should eat pretzels or dry cereal to clean your teeth.

Feed canned foods that are low in carbohydrates. Carbs turn into sugar in the mouth which is very bad for teeth. That is one of the many reasons dry food is so bad for cats, the crumbs stick to the teeth causing bacteria to grow, leading to plaque and tartar and gingivitis.

or, like I said, feed some raw meals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-07-2016   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Relaxed
LoveMyKittys is on a distinguished road

I have tried 3 different kinds of canned food and she will not touch a can of food , she loves her dry food , she is eating Purina One and she loves her dry food , I adopted her from the Humaine Society and on her chart it saiud she needs her teeth cleaned , I made an appointment for her in December to get them cleaned
Unread 11-07-2016   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKittys View Post
I have tried 3 different kinds of canned food and she will not touch a can of food , she loves her dry food , she is eating Purina One and she loves her dry food , I adopted her from the Humaine Society and on her chart it saiud she needs her teeth cleaned , I made an appointment for her in December to get them cleaned
Of course she "loves" it, it's is sprayed with fats and animal digest to make her love it. Otherwise no cat would eat anything so foreign to their nature.

I replied to your other post about how to transition a cat from dry to wet.

See this thread:
How often do you groom your cat?

Also, here is a good website to get you started on learning how bad dry food is for cats and why:

KittyShark, educate about nutritional deficiencies from kibble

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-17-2016   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Happy
Clare Cole is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, really helpful. I've been having trouble with mine for ages.
Unread 05-21-2017   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

butterflyH is on a distinguished road

My cats had some redness around his gumline so, after talking with my vet, I bought some kitty toothpaste and a toothbrush. He doesn't enjoy it too much but he has learned to tolerate it, and his teeth are already looking much better.

Unread 05-26-2017   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

LucyJones is on a distinguished road

This is such a struggle! I try to brush my cats teeth, but it is always a challenge!

Tags
adopted , affordable , baking soda , bite , cat , cat's , cats , chewing , clean , cleaning , dog , dog toothpaste , dogs , dry , dry food , food , free , healthy , hey , kitty , raw , toothpaste , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links