It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-20-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Dead
Saffron is on a distinguished road
Post Switching to a raw diet?

I'm a first time cat owner and recently I've been reading about the horrors of dry food. I know I want to start giving him raw food, but I have a few a questions to ask so I won't make a mistake.

1) Can I feed him any raw meat? Chicken to fish and seafood like shrimp (shell and all).
2) What's the proper ratio to meat, bone and innards? What's the best innards?
3) How much should I feed my cat and how often? My cat is ten months and weighs ten pounds and he's active, but neutered.
4) Will he know how to eat bones? I'm sure I won't have much problem getting him to eat raw meat since he becomes a hoover vacuum when anything is put in his bowl... He's even eaten lint that's drifted into his bowl.
5) And what about sterilization? Can I use vinegar water or just rinse the food?

I'm sure after switching his food, he won't be as constipated and maybe if this works I can convince my mom to change her dog over, but she thinks animals turn rabid when given blood.

Last edited by Saffron; 03-20-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Misspelled a word.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-21-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hurray! Congratulations on your new family member AND wanting to feed him right!

Your mother sounds a bit...uninformed shall we say. Rabies is caused by being bit by a rabid animal.

My cats are raw fed, and I think it's great you want to feed your kitty the best.

You can feed any meat you can find from the grocery store, I do recommend freezing it for a few days first.

Meat/organ/bone is, in general 80/10 (with 5% being liver)/10 but often 10% is too much bone for cats and 7-8% is better.

Or you can use a pre-mix like EZcomplete to start.

I feed a rotation of commercial raw, home made prey model raw and raw muscle meat with EZcomplete.

Here's a great site to get you started. They have a closed facebook group also, where you can get your specific questions answered.

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
animal , art , cat , cats , commercial , diet , dog , dry , dry food , facebook , family , fish , food , great , hey , home , horrors , kitty , mistake , problem , rabies , raw , water

Sponsored Cat Links