It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jordannn is on a distinguished road
Default Is my kitten overweight?

Daisy May is about 8 months old right now. I have two 2-year old boys as well. I know kittens tend to eat more food, and she runs around a lot and expends a lot of energy, but she is looking a bit overweight to my husband and I. She eats about the same amount as the other two, we feed them 1/4 cup each of dry food (Purina One Smartblend) in the morning, and a 3oz can of Fancy Feast at night (she gets the kitten version of both since she's still under a year). But the two boys are pretty slim and are normal, healthy weights. When Ludo was a kitten he did have a little bit of a belly, but it was all underneath him--like a little kitten pooch, when you looked at him from above he looked normal. But Daisy looks obese when you look at her from above. I'm wondering if we should be feeding her less? It seemed like Ludo ate a lot more when he was a kitten, but never looked like Daisy. She does eat very quickly, she is usually finished with her food when the boys have barely made a dent in theirs, and she used to try to eat their food too, but we discouraged her from doing so and now feed the boys up on the kitchen island so they can eat their food (she still tries to jump up, but we monitor her and make sure she doesn't jump up and eat their food). Curious as to what others thought of the amount of food we feed her and if it's just kitten weight and she'll grow into it, or if we should be feeding her less, or if there could be something else going on. (photos attached)IMG_20160430_203431514.jpg

IMG_20160430_203459631.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-30-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It's difficult to tell with pictures, especially pictures of furry cats.

The first thing I recommend is that you improve their diet. Dry food of any kind is very bad for cats. Extremely high in carbs, no moisture, and that Purina dry food you are feeding is loaded with corn, soy, msg and other undesirable things.

Cats need moisture from their food and they need meat and animal fat. "chicken as the first ingredient" in dry food is pure marketing They only have to list the ingredients by weight BEFORE processing. Since meat is at least 70% moisture, once the food is made, the amount actually in there drops way down on the list, down below all that corn and soy and msg ("animal liver flavor")

The canned fancy feast is okay as long as you are feeding only the classics, (pate) because they are low in carbs.

Feed your cats a high quality canned (or raw) diet, and you will find they will be leaner, more energetic, their coats will be nicer, even their behavior will improve.

You will reduce or eliminate the risk of urinary tract problems (especially for the males, urinary tract blockages are very common in dry fed male cats), diabetes and obesity to name just three things that dry food leads to.

Here are some links with information on why cats, strict obligate carnivores, should not be fed dry food, and what you would do better to feed them for optimal health and quality of life..

KittyShark, educate about nutritional deficiencies from kibble

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-30-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-30-2016   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS I love all the toys and scratchers at the edge of the photo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-01-2016   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Jordannn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! I think I'll start doing strictly wet food. I liked the convenience of dry food because when we go out of town we could just set the automatic feeder in the morning and have someone come in the evening to feed them the wet. We sick to the classics of the fancy feast because you can get the big packs at Costco (and they're easier to get out of the can). Should she get two whole 3oz cans a day? I'll weigh her today to see what she weighs
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordannn For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-01-2016   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You can use auto feeders for wet, too. Of course, it is still important to have that person come in each day, but the morning meal can be put in an auto feeder. If you are concerned about spoilage the feeder can be set on an ice pack.

6 ounces of canned a day is usually just about right for an average (say...10 pound) indoor adult cat.

At 8 months she probably needs a bit more than that.

It's good you pay attention to these kinds of things. I bought a baby scale and weigh my cats weekly or twice a month to monitor their weight and make sure they are not getting too much or too little.

This is the one I use:

Amazon.com: Salter Electronic Baby and Toddler Scale: Health & Personal Care

I bought it five years ago and still on the original battery!

please read this first

Tags
art , behavior , belly , cat , cats , diabetes , dry , dry food , food , health , healthy , hey , kitten , kittens , litter box , love , morning , night , obesity , overweight , photos , pictures , thoughts , toys , weight

Sponsored Cat Links