It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Oromero910 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat limping, not wanting to eat! HELP!!

Yesterday my 14 year old cat was fine in the morning , in afternoon I found my cat behind the couch, not wanting any food, he was also limping from his front leg. Took him to the emergency clinic.

The vet found a puncture near his right front leg, he said it could be that he got into a fight with another cat and the other cats caused the puncture. He gave him antibiotics and pain medicine. This morning it seems like my cat can't put any pressure on his leg now, and doesn't want to eat or drink. Do i have to give it time to heal ?? I'm giving him water with a syringe to keep him hydrated and I'm gonna start doing the same with food, should I take him back to the vet????

Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-12-2016   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Devilish
TheCatWhisperer is on a distinguished road

ABSOLUTELY take him back to the vet!!

If the injury was from a fight or an attack, it could have gotten infected. The vet needs to check for infection. A blood test might be in order to determine why he isn't eating.

As a person with a previous pet of advanced age, I can say that elderly cats are more susceptible to getting sick and getting infections. I'm not saying this is the case, but it is something to keep in mind when things like this happen.

If the injury is healing, it might be sore and thats why he doesn't want to walk on it.

If you cat will drink water with a syringe, you might try chicken broth or "cat cream" for older cats. Cat Cream has vitamins and other goodies in it for cats of advanced years. Sort of like Ensure for cats. You should be able to find it in a pet store.

Sometimes when cats get hurt, and they feel bad, sore, or have a temperature, they just won't eat. Force feeding liquids usually keeps them from getting worse, and keeps them from getting to the point they are too weak to move at all.

If the kitty doesn't seem to be responding or feeling better every two or three days, I would keep taking him back to the vet until he does feel better and start moving around again.

You might look into not letting him wander around outside anymore without you being there. Older cats are like kittens, they need more attention and looking after than "teenagers" or "young adults" do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
age , another cat , antibiotics , art , attack , cat , cats , fight , food , found , hey , hurt , kittens , kitty , morning , moving , person , pet , sick , test , vet , water , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links