It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

fluffymitch is on a distinguished road
Default Constipation and food change

I have a 10 year old calico who has constipation problems. Her background is that she used to nibble dry dog food in addition to eating her cat food. We didn't know at that time that dog food was so dangerous for her. After having her surgically "cleaned out" 3 times, the vet gave us Royal Canin Response to Fiber when did a great job of fixing her constipation problem. She was close to developing mega colon so we have fed her this faithfully. However, she's become quite obese even though we feed her a scant half cup a day. I fear for her joints and health. I'm sure this high carb food is causing the weight problem, but have no idea what to do to treat the bowel problem without it. Pumpkin works only for a week or so and mineral oil causes diarrhea. There is a nice selection of recipes on this site, but my girl needs some kind of fiber to help with her problem. Do you have any success or ideas about fiber to add to homemade food?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-25-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Actually you may find your cat does much better without all that fiber if you get her on a species appropriate diet. Cats don't need and should not have high fiber diets, especially cats on a dry diet..

It's extremely counterproductive and that horrible food is going to lead to worse problems over time, as you've already begun to discover, obesity, and next will be diabetes.

Get your cat off that horrible RC junk. Look at the ingredients! Vets should be ashamed of themselves for "prescribing" this garbage! A cat is designed to eat a wet high meat diet with very little fiber.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health.

I'll be back later if you want more help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 07-25-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Fortunately, my fat cat loves canned food. I'll try to figure out how much she needs daily.
My normal weight cat refuses canned food. She's a tough nut to crack. I'll let her get hungry tomorrow and see what happens. Interestingly, I have a lot of cans of one of the better brands sold at the pet supply store and neither gal likes it. I'm hoping the constipation doesn't start up again with the canned food. It is quite frightening!
Unread 07-25-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Please don't try to starve a cat into eating. That is not the way to do it.

Transitioning a kibble addict is hard work sometimes but it can be done. Any cat can be taught to eat a better diet.

Dry food CAUSES constipation. And a high fiber diet for a dry fed cat is so..against everything that makes a cat's body work it just boggles the mind that vets push this crap on people.

Yes, all that fiber is very likely to create a megacolon. The long term affects of those "foods" are terrible.

Fiber is bulk forming. Not only that, but it works by drawing water to the colon. This means it is taking what little moisture is in the dry feed cat,, already dehydrated, into the colon so cat is even more dehydrated.

Dry food destroys motility. This, along with the dehydration and the poor ingredients, is the root of the constipation.

I recommend:

Feed both cats at scheduled times. (keeping working on the kibble addict, I can offer advice with that too)

Add a probiotic right away.

Get kitty on an all wet diet.

Add egg yolk to the diet. Egg yolk can be cooked or raw. Start with half a yolk twice a week. She may eat it straight. If not, simply mix it into her food. You may need to increase the amount of yolk she gets, but go very slow, working up to two yolks a week, or half a yolk every other day.

As long as that is the only food you are feeding that is not balanced, you don't need to worry about balancing the yolk with calcium.

Feed three wet meals a day. The time between meals doesn't need to be even, and in fact a 9 hour "fast" every night is good for cats. They need their stomachs to be empty of food before they can get rid of the fur.

If you are really uncomfortable eliminating all added fiber, use slippery elm bark instead of those crappy corn based foods.

Think about it. Why would anyone want to feed a cat corn? (the answer of course is because it is cheap, that's why pet food manufacturers use it)

Along with Dr Pierson's website I linked earlier, visit and explore

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

Food Fur Life - EZ Balanced & Complete Raw or Cooked Pet Food!

KittyShark, educate about nutritional deficiencies from kibble

Feline Constipation Home Page

Egg yolk is good for both of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 07-26-2016   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I'll start the yolk tomorrow morning, first thing, and will purchase the probiotic today or tomorrow. I noticed that the veterinarian whose link you gave me yesterday recommended Miralax for constipation. Is the slippery elm more helpful?
I belong to a couple of low carb or keto diet discussion groups and have noticed that many are using a low carb diet for their cats as they are developing type 2 diabetes as well. Making our own cat food is not an option for now, so I'm investigating the carbohydrate content of the wet foods. A concern is that low carb foods may be using too much fat. Fat is alright, but the cats need protein.
The kibble addict is a tough nut to crack. Dr. Pierson suggested letting the cat get hungry. Mixing the two foods, and putting them side by side has had no effect. She went nearly a day without eating, so I relented and went back to the dry as I had already read that they shouldn't go 24 hours without eating. Are there other "tricks" to try?
Unread 07-26-2016   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Just a quick note now, I'm on my lunch hour. Kibble addict kitty's problem is she doesn't recognize the wet food as food.

So the first thing you have to do, if you aren't already is stop free feeding and get her on scheduled meal times. Figure out how much she needs per day, measure that out, then divide it by 3, offering 1/3 portion at each meal. Once she is eating scheduled meals, when you place the dry food down, place another dish alongside it with a tiny amount (teaspoon or less) of canned food. use a small glass dish.

Don't do anything else, just leave that little blob of food there for her to get used to it. In time she will associate the smell of that little bit of food with eating. She may even sample it on her own, but if she doesn't, after a week or so, you'll move on to the next step.

Regarding fat vs carbs..cats do need fat-animal fat. For instance a mouse is about 60% protein and 24% fat.

Out of time, I'll be back.

please read this first
Unread 07-26-2016   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Bless your heart! You have been so dedicated with your answers. Fat cat took her canned food beautifully. We'll see if she leaves me any gifts in her box. If so, I won't have to try the Slippery Elm.

Kibble addict will be given a few days to make at least a small transition. I've been trying over a year , but perhaps, I've given up too quickly.
Unread 07-30-2016   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Fat, nearly diabetic cat is doing well on her food. I feed her 3 small meals a day and supplement with probiotics and glucosamine. It will be such a joy to see her be able to move around again.
But! Kibble addict isn't eating any wet food at all, much less getting the supplements. I am not leaving kibble in her bowl so that she will be ready to eat. Putting a small amount of wet next to the dry doesn't entice her to give it a lick. This morning, in I tried stirring small amounts of both together, but no success. I took up this morning's meal, uneaten and waited until 3 pm to feed her again. By then, she was howling to eat. When she saw the dry food placed on top of wet, she ran off. Is it likely that if I keep placing the kibble next to a half tsp of wet that she will eventually try the canned product?
Unread 07-30-2016   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Is it likely that if I keep placing the kibble next to a half tsp of wet that she will eventually try the canned product?
I would keep doing it. That is how I transitioned my one girl over to raw. It took several months. Well worth the wait.

You can use incentives like Forti Flora or PureBites crusted to dust and sprinkled over the little blob of wet to make it more interesting.

please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
addition , art , bowel , cat , cat food , cats , constipation , diabetes , diarrhea , dog , dry , eating , fiber , food , girl , great , health , litter , litter box , nice , pet , problems , royal , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links