It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

inchanelwetrust is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please, please help me

I'm new - so hello!

My cat Bandit got spayed 2 week and 2 days ago, and she managed to take her E-collar off a few days sooner than the recommended 2 weeks by the vet. I figured it would be fine, seeing as how a lot of people were saying they don't even bother with an E-collar, etc. She took it off 4 days early. A couple days later I noticed the top layer of stitches was gone, but the inside stitches were still there.

Literally 10 minutes ago I noticed that there is a brown-ish fluid that had leaked from her wound and stained around it in an oval shape. I have pictures of it that I am happy to email or message to you, this damn forum won't let me post pictures since I have not yet made 25 posts? Ridiculous.

I am totally freaked out and terrified something is wrong, I called the emergency vet to ask if this is normal but all she said was to bring her in if I was concerned, and then let me know it is a $100 fee just to look at her. I can't afford this at the moment, does anyone here have experience with this? Is this normal leakage or is this infection?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated - thank you so much in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-31-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Is Bandit eating and behaving normally?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-31-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Yes she is doing nothing at all out of the ordinary, acting just like her normal adorable self, though she is trying to lick the area a few times a day
Unread 07-31-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Is there any pus? Blobs of green gunk, or whitish?

No bleeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 07-31-2016   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Yesterday the opening had ike a white chunky substance near the surface of the opening which I thought were the inner stitches, but today it is gone and I can see the actual blue stitching, but no pus or green colored substanes. IT straight up looks like a deluded brownish color stained around the wound in an oval shape, like maybe deluded blood? like the color of dried up blood but not a large amount, just enough to make a translucent brownish oval shape.

PS thank you so much for replying
Unread 07-31-2016   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome.

As long as she is eating and toileting normally, and there is not heavy bleeding or sign of serious infection (green blobs of puss) I think she will be fine until you can call your own vet who did the spay tomorrow.

While it's true that cats hide pain until they are in agony, I think your little girl will be okay until tomorrow and is probably not in too much discomfort or danger.

Try to keep her quiet tonight and make sure she gets lots of fluids.

Do you feed her canned food? How old is she?

I am not a vet, but I really do not think there is any need for the ER vet tonight.

Now for some unsolicited advice ~smile~. In order to spare yourself the awful helpless feeling of not being able to provide medical care in an emergency, (and to spare your cat any suffering) you want to start right now, putting aside a little money each week for emergency vet bills. You need to have the self discipline to not touch this money. That's the hard part I know! Start a savings account, put five or ten dollars a week in it and never ever touch it. EXCEPT if your precious little girl needs it for medical issues.

In addition, since you might not have access to this money in the middle of the night or weekend, you might want to get a credit card, for only this, too. That way you can pay any bill right away, and on the next business day, take the money out of her account and pay the credit card off.

There are actually credit cards specifically for veterinary bills, from a company called Care Credit. Make sure your vet (and the ER center) accepts these cards of course. Most vets do.

Anyway I think you are doing fine. Try to stay calm for her sake, cats pick up on our worry. Play quiet games or better yet get her to just cuddle while you read or watch some peaceful TV.

Tomorrow morning you can get her seen and if she needs an antibiotic she'll get one. Let me know how it turns out.

xx

please read this first
Unread 07-31-2016   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you so SO much. I actually get paid tomorrow so I'll be able to being her to her original vet, and setting aside a little every check to put into a saving ER account for her is a brilliant idea. She is basically my daughter and if something happened to her....it would be the same if not worse to how Miley Cyrus reacted to her dog Floyd passing away lol. I would be a mess. I also just actually got lent The Shining by Stephen King so reading that with her cuddling with me is a perfect recommendation!
I saw the leakage stain and immediatly started crying lol, I deeply deeply appreciate a stranger's help with my baby. You're awesome and very appreciated. Keep fighting the good fight,friend!

Also - I feed her dry Meow Mix, as well as wet food by Luvsome as a special treat from time to time. Funny enough the little rascal seems to prefer dry food LOL. And she is 3 1/2 years old. She was born March 2013. She is eating/drinking totally normally for the time being. I also put the E collar back on her.

Last edited by inchanelwetrust; 07-31-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Unread 07-31-2016   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I understand, I feel the same way about my cats. They are everything. It's really really awful when they aren't feeling well.

Is she your first pet?

I'm sure you two will have a lovely long happy life together, I can tell you pay attention and put her first.

Remember that fluids are important. That's why I asked about her diet. She needs lots of fluids right now of course, but a cat does best on a diet high in moisture, and that means canned food. Feeding the right diet will help keep the vet bills down, too.

If she is on a kibble only diet you will have to start slow with adding canned food to prevent digestive upset, but a little bit tonight, with some water added, would be very good for her.

The Shining is definitely a book best read with a cat curled up on top of you!

please read this first
Unread 07-31-2016   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

I had a cat that passed away to blood clots in his legs..the vet had said we basically had to put him down then or let him live out the rest of the short time that he had. Needless to say I let myself have the extra month with him, although at the time I don't think I realized how much discomfort he was in due to them being able to hide it so well. He was my first pet. His name was Casper, and Bandit is the same exact breed/coloring so I feel an extra need to protect her haha. I will definitely pick up some wet food for her here in just a bit when I leave the house to get her some extra fluid in her besides her water. I'll let you know as soon as I talk with the vet tomorrow how she's doing and what they have to say!
The Following User Says Thank You to inchanelwetrust For This Useful Post:
Unread 07-31-2016   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I just saw your edit about her diet. When you've both got through this, I hope you will take some time to learn about feline nutrition and why meow mix is not a good diet for her.

Have a look at the label on the bag, and see what is in it. Cats are strict obligate carnivores descended from desert animals. They need a diet from meat and meat derivatives, not corn and dyes. They were designed to get their moisture from their diet and have a very low thirst drive.

Cats become "kibble addicts" because the foods are sprayed with fats and "flavorings" (MSG) to make them become addicted to it.

The Meow Mix is full of fillers and species inappropriate ingredients, not t mention it is dry, only 10% moisture. Cats just don't drink enough to make up the lack.

The lack of moisture can lead to urinary tract disorders and kidney problems, vomiting and poor motility and IBD.

The high carbs and sugars eventually lead to obesity, diabetes, and dental disease.

Here is a good place to start to read more about what I am talking about:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

KittyShark, educate about nutritional deficiencies from kibble

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

please read this first

Tags
addition , adorable , advice , art , bills , brown , business , calm , cat , cats , collar , dog , eating , food , games , happy , hey , ibd , infection , mess , money , morning , pictures , spay , spayed , stitches , vet , vomiting , worry

Sponsored Cat Links