It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
SusanHankerson is on a distinguished road
Default Cat food , picky eater

My cat is soo picky eater. The problem is ,my Snoop refuses to try "wet food". He only eats "dry food" , Royal Canin savour exigent and anti hairball . If I try to give him canned wet food he don't eat it . I have tried many different foods from different price ranges (Applaws, Royal Canin etc..) but no, nothing, he better starves bout he don't touch it.
Can somebody please tell me why "dry food" is bad?
Luckily he eats fresh fish and liver.. I mean that's something at least.

Is it bad that he eats only "Dry food" on a daily basis and fresh fish and liver occasionally?

Ps! Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-19-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Dry food is bad for a number of reasons. The number one reason is because it is dry. It is only 10% moisture.

The cat is a strict obligate carnivore. What this means is he is designed to get his moisture from his food. He is a hunter. he eats meat. Mice, birds, other small rodents, even insects. A mouse is about 70% moisture. Cats cannot drink enough water to make up the difference, and they have a very low thirst drive.

Dry food is directly responsible for a number of illnesses in cats including urinary tract disorders and kidney disease.

Chronic constipation is another potential issue.

Additionally dry food is very species inappropriate in other ways. It is high in carbohydrates. Cats don't need carbs, and cannot digest them. They poop it all right back out. So most of what your cat is eating is getting pooped back out. Look at the ingredients in that royal canin food. Horrible stuff!

The bulk of the protein in dry food may come from grains (corn especially) cats need meat. They cannot thrive on grains.

The high carb diet leads to other illnesses. Obesity, diabetes, dental disease, heart disease, to name a few more.

Many cats don't recognize a wet diet as food, being imprinted on dry from an early age, but they CAN be transitioned.

I can give you a step by step method on how to transition your boy to a better(wet) diet if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-19-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-20-2017   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Dry food is bad for a number of reasons. The number one reason is because it is dry. It is only 10% moisture.

The cat is a strict obligate carnivore. What this means is he is designed to get his moisture from his food. He is a hunter. he eats meat. Mice, birds, other small rodents, even insects. A mouse is about 70% moisture. Cats cannot drink enough water to make up the difference, and they have a very low thirst drive.

Dry food is directly responsible for a number of illnesses in cats including urinary tract disorders and kidney disease.

Chronic constipation is another potential issue.

Additionally dry food is very species inappropriate in other ways. It is high in carbohydrates. Cats don't need carbs, and cannot digest them. They poop it all right back out. So most of what your cat is eating is getting pooped back out. Look at the ingredients in that royal canin food. Horrible stuff!

The bulk of the protein in dry food may come from grains (corn especially) cats need meat. They cannot thrive on grains.

The high carb diet leads to other illnesses. Obesity, diabetes, dental disease, heart disease, to name a few more.

Many cats don't recognize a wet diet as food, being imprinted on dry from an early age, but they CAN be transitioned.

I can give you a step by step method on how to transition your boy to a better(wet) diet if you want.
Thank you so much for your answer...
I'm a little bit scared now. Luckily I give him raw pork liver and fresh fish occasionally.

It's funny, because when he was younger, he ate only wet food, and refused to eat "dry", but suddenly he had a mood change or whatever , now, as an adult he is so picky and eats only "dry. Last night I gave him Chicken fillet and naah, he didn't like it.

Btw, I Live in Europe and Royal is the most expensive cat food which you can find. All animal doctors suggest it and all pet shops sell it.

"I can give you a step by step method on how to transition your boy to a better(wet) diet if you want." -- Yes please, I'd really appreciate it..
Thanks again

Last edited by SusanHankerson; 01-20-2017 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 01-20-2017   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Regarding Royal Canin, have a look at the ingredients on that bag. How many times is corn listed? What other grains do you see. Cellulose? That's sawdust. I kid you not, cellulose is sawdust. In cat fod. The ingredients are very poor quality besides.

Dry food is sprayed/coated with fats and animal digest (and you don't want to know what that is!) to make cats eat it and become addicted to it.

Vets push this food because they were taught by pet food representatives to push it. Most vets know very little, if anything, about nutrition. In vet school they are bombarded with propaganda from the big pet food companies. They are not taught animal nutrition.

Whether vets are willfully ignorant (easier to push a bag of crap food than to actually educate a pet owner) or brainwashed the result is the same..sick cats.

Regarding fish and liver. You have to be very careful with liver. It is high in vitamin A. The food he is eating is already supplemented with vitamin A, and you risk giving your cat a vitamin A toxicity. Liver is good for cats, fed with a balanced raw or home cooked diet, but I wouldn't use it, feeding commercially processed pet food.

Fish is never good for cats.

I'll be back with my suggested method for transitioning. Gotta feed the cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 01-21-2017   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

If you are free feeding, stop. Feed on a schedule. Three meals a day. Put down the measured food, if it isn't gone in a half hour pick it up until the next meal. If you are already feeding on a schedule that's even better.

Use a pate canned food. (no chunks in gravy or shredded styles)

Put a tiny dollop of canned food in the dish next to the dry food. Don't do anything else. Just at each meal put that tiny bit of wet food in his dish. TINY. No more than a teaspoon.

He needs to learn to recognize wet food as food. Many dry fed cats just don't. Putting the tiny bit of wet next to his dry food will help him assoicate the wet with food.

If he doesn't sample it on it's own, after a few days (give it a week), use some kind of incentive.

You can crush a few kibbles to dust and roll the blob of wet in the crushed kibble dust, though I think using something other than kibble is better. Some people have had luck with parmesan cheese, I recommend using a freeze dried pure protein treat such as the type made by PureBites.

That may hurry things along. Do this at each meal until he starts eating that tiny bit of wet. He will, in time.

Once he starts eating it, make the wet portion bigger, and the dry portion smaller. Don't rush, or make it too big all at once. Go slow.

Gradually over the weeks there will be more wet than dry in that dish. Then will come the day when there is no dry, except some crushed to dust over the wet. At that point I would get rid of the kibble all together and start using other incentives, forti flora or (better) Pure Bites freeze dried meats.

please read this first
Unread 01-24-2017   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Hmm.. I wrote you an answer and it still "waiting for approval" strange. I wasn't spamming, just said thank you.
I wanted to ask about feeding schedule?

I already started to give him canned food, only tablespoon, and nooo he don't touch it.
I feel like a complete noob, i can't feed my cat properly..
Unread 01-24-2017   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

He didn't touch it because he doesn't recognize it as food. That's why you just put a tiny bit next to his dish when feeding him. So he can start to associate the wet as food.

Schedule feeding is not difficult. Simply figure out how much he needs to eat each day, break that amount down into 3 (or 4) meals. Put the amount for one meal down. Put the wet food next to it. Whatever hasn't been eaten in half an hour, pick it all up and throw it away. Start with fresh food at each meal.

There are ways to increase appetite and interest in food. Play Games before meals. Get him stalking, pouncing, chasing..hunting. A cat in his natural environment ("in the wild" as the saying goes) will hunt, eat, wash sleep. You can duplicate that in the home to help success.

Don't expect instant miracles you'll set yourself up for failure.. Expect the transition to take time. I used the above method to transition one of my cats from wet to raw. It took about 3 months.

please read this first
Unread 01-24-2017   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
He didn't touch it because he doesn't recognize it as food. That's why you just put a tiny bit next to his dish when feeding him. So he can start to associate the wet as food.

Schedule feeding is not difficult. Simply figure out how much he needs to eat each day, break that amount down into 3 (or 4) meals. Put the amount for one meal down. Put the wet food next to it. Whatever hasn't been eaten in half an hour, pick it all up and throw it away. Start with fresh food at each meal.

There are ways to increase appetite and interest in food. Play Games before meals. Get him stalking, pouncing, chasing..hunting. A cat in his natural environment ("in the wild" as the saying goes) will hunt, eat, wash sleep. You can duplicate that in the home to help success.

Don't expect instant miracles you'll set yourself up for failure.. Expect the transition to take time. I used the above method to transition one of my cats from wet to raw. It took about 3 months.

Thank you soo much for your effort and time! I'm definitely follow you "steps" I don't want my Snoop get sick..

I'm currently testing with Applaws wet food, in this morning He showed SOME interest, He smelled it and.. that's it, walked away.. But I won't give up.

Feeding schedule.. Sounds a bit difficult, I always keep hes bowl full because if he sees hes bow only half full, he mews and asks more, like "come on mom, I don't have anything to eat, give me some food". I hope you understand what I wanted to say :P
Unread 05-21-2017   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

butterflyH is on a distinguished road

Get several flavors of canned kitten food and some good dry food (the kind it used to eat) and offer it meals of canned food and a little dry food 3 times a day.

Tags
age , birds , boy , car , cat , cat food , cat health , cats , diabetes , dry , dry food , eating , fish , food , funny , hey , kitten , mouse , pet , poop , problem , question , royal , small , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links