It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-04-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

derpmcturd is on a distinguished road
Default What's Your Experience with Acana Brand and Fromm Brand? I Want To Switch

Hey everyone! I love this forum.
Anyways, I'd like to switch my beautiful little purebred Brit cat off of her current brand to one of these "premium" brands.
My cat has always had Blue Buffalo Dry Food and Wet Food her entire 1.5 year life.
However, I don't like the fact that the Dry Food has Carrageenan in it and the wet food has Guar Gum.
So, while I was looking at Fromm Brand and Acana Brand, I noticed something a bit odd: Acana Dry Food starts around $44 for a 12LB bag, while Fromm Dry Food starts around $41 for a 15 LB Bag. I don't understand why one brand gives more food for a lesser price.
I can't figure it out, anyone have any ideas? Aren't both brand top-notch?
I don't really want to move all the way up to Orijen Brand because these two seem perfectly fine to me.
So, do you have any thoughts on which one I should go for? My cat is 100% healthy and has NO dietary restrictions at all.
Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-05-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

No dry food is "top notch" It's all junk and all bad for your cat, regardless of brand.

Feed your cat an all wet diet, either canned, raw or home cooked, or a combination of the three.

Things to avoid in canned foods are caraggeenan, agar-agar, any grains, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, peas, too many fruits and vegetables (really none, cats don't need them and their bodies don't get any benefit from them).

Avoid also cellulose, sodium nitrites, sodium nitrates, dyes and artificial anything.

Canned food should have identified meat, water, and the vitamins and minerals to balance the highly processed meat.

If you really want to feed your cat the best diet, feed her a balanced raw diet.

But, most definitely get rid of the dry food. Nothing good about it. Any of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-05-2017   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

derpmcturd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
No dry food is "top notch" It's all junk and all bad for your cat, regardless of brand.

Feed your cat an all wet diet, either canned, raw or home cooked, or a combination of the three.

Things to avoid in canned foods are caraggeenan, agar-agar, any grains, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, peas, too many fruits and vegetables (really none, cats don't need them and their bodies don't get any benefit from them).

Avoid also cellulose, sodium nitrites, sodium nitrates, dyes and artificial anything.

Canned food should have identified meat, water, and the vitamins and minerals to balance the highly processed meat.

If you really want to feed your cat the best diet, feed her a balanced raw diet.

But, most definitely get rid of the dry food. Nothing good about it. Any of it.
alright, i'll definitely talk to my vet about that. What brand of wet food would you recommend? I can't give my cat a raw diet because I just don't have the time and money for it. I've seen the ingredients in the "Ziwi" brand and "Addiction" brand foods, and they seem to have no added trash in their wet foods. I've heard of "FROMM" brand too but I see in their wet food that they use XanthanGum. What do you think?
Unread 05-06-2017   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Long post ahead!

I wouldn't bother with the vet about what to feed your cat. Vets, generally speaking, know nothing about feline nutrition and will tell you Meow Mix or Purina Cat Chow is "fine" to feed your cat, or push those alphabet diets at you, which are no better than Meow Mix.

Maybe your vet is one of the enlightened ones. I feed raw so can't speak on brands.

It sounds like you are in the UK? I see UK people recommending visiting ZooPlus and Happy Kitty Company (on line stores) for good brands. They also recommend the German brands most often.

I would avoid xanthanan myself.

Ziwi looks okay on the surface.

Addiction has a ton of fillers. All that fruit, and potatoes. Sweet potatoes as the second or third ingredient? Cats don't need that stuff. They poop it right back out, so you are paying premium prices for lots of poop.

Both seem to be high in carbs, 20% on a dry matter basis. (16% as fed)

Fed in rotation with other foods not so carb heavy (raw for instance) it wouldn't be so bad.

The best way to avoid too much of a bad thing is to feed a variety of brands, so that no one "bad" thing is 100% a part of your cat's diet.

Feed the Ziwi and the Addiction if you want, but add in some other not so awful brands too.

There are several reasons for this.

1) if there's a recall on a brand, your cat will not have been eating it exclusively. So whatever turns out to be wrong with the food, it may have less impact on your cat's health.

2) If your cat eats only one food, or one brand, she may become addicted to it. If there is a recall, or (as happens all too often) the company stops making that food, or changes the recipe, you will be scrambling to find something else for her to eat, and she may refuse everything else.

3) Pets foods are not very regulated and they often are lacking in something or have too much of something else. Feeding a variety of brands will counteract this problem, hopefully giving your cat are more evenly balanced diet.

Regarding raw feeding, you might want to give it more thought before dismissing it entirely. I felt the same as you many years afo until a sick cat forced me to turn to raw feeding. That was 5 years ago.:

Usually what happens, how people become raw feeders I mean, is when their cats, after years of eating highly processed diets (especially dry diets) get so sick nothing else helps but putting them on raw.

Then there are people like you who want to feed the best you can, but discover that no brand is perfect, every single food has something wrong with it.

There isn't anything wrong with feeding partial raw. Adding raw to the rotation of canned foods. Any raw is better than none. You don't have to jump right in. Start with just a small bit. That's what I did. I never dreamed 5 years ago, my cats would eventually be eating 100% raw.

There are commercial raw diets (already balanced) or premixes you add to plain meat to balance the meat. Doing it yourself of course is the cheapest way, and much cheaper than those canned foods. Anyway you might give it some thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
beautiful , cat , cats , diet , dry , dry food , food , fromm acana orijen , health , healthy , hey , home , kitty , love , meow , money , orijen , raw , sick , thoughts , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links