It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

CharlieSophie91 is on a distinguished road
Default Kitten with fever

Late last week, I noticed my 5-month old kitten, Sophie, wasn't quite herself. She didn't want to play and all she wanted to do was sleep. She wouldn't eat very much and she wouldn't drink at all. As a long-time cat owner, I know those are tell-tale signs that my kitty was sick. We found out she had a fever and it was quite high.

It's been nearly a week and I believe she is doing better. She's much more energetic, she is eating and drinking very well on her own. She goes to the bathroom regularly, but she still feels as though she has a a fever (though it hasn't gotten as high as it was initially). I could just be a paranoid, over cautious cat-mom, but are these good signs? Does this mean she's getting over what is causing the fever? Her vet suggested we get her tested for FIV and FELV if she doesn't get better. I'm just worried because she seems to be feeling better, but her fever hasn't quite gone away yet. I apologize if this is an odd circumstance. I recently lost a cat due to a sudden viral infection, so I'm trying to be as vigilant as possible.

We took her to the vet twice. One was on Friday when we took her temperature and it was 106. We took her to an emergency animal hospital where the vet said she has some sort of viral infection, though without further testing she could not fully diagnose her. She gave Sophie some fluids and some precautionary antibiotics and said to bring her back if she gets worse. By Monday, her fever had gotten down to 102.2, but went back up to 104, so we took her to our regular vet. She too said she has a viral infection but seemed in good spirits as her fever had gone down. She was encouraged by the fact that Sophie was exhibiting more energy and was eating and drinking well. She suggested that we monitor her. I'm wondering if you guys have any advice or just some calming words. Because of that aforementioned kitty (his name was Louie), I am particularly m overly cautious. Is she exhibiting good signs? How long does it normally take for a kitten to kick a run of the mill infection? Both vets suggested a snap test if Sophie doesn't get better. The emergency vet suggested the possibility of FIP, though she said it's not common. I apologize for the long post. I'm just kinda freaking out lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
advice , animal , antibiotics , cat , eating , fever , fip , fiv , found , fur , infection , kitten , kitty , lost , play , sick , sleep , tale , vet

Sponsored Cat Links