It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2007   #1 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Smile Kitties In The Old West

I read a long time ago that back in the days of the Old West as settlers were beginning to farm the plains for wheat and such, cats were useful for controlling mice and rats. Since the domestic cat was not native to the Hew World, they had to be brought in. So, there were some enterprising souls who loaded up wagons of cats and went around selling them to farmers. The picture I get of wagons full of cats lumbering across the plains is amusing, all that meowing. True history. Imagine some Indians raiding a wagon train for whiskey and firearms only to be confronted with a bunch of kitties.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-20-2007   #2 (permalink)
ChristineP

I picture little kitties with little cowboy hats on chasing buffalo and cows. LOL

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-20-2007   #3 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Not to forget the barroom scene after a hard day on the range. The shots of red-eye milk, the juice from catnip chaw being spit into brass spitoons, the rinky piano in the corner playing "I'm A Yankee Doodle Kitty," the poker game for kibbles and the occaisional spat with chairs and bottles flying. Oh yeah. Love it.

Unread 03-24-2007   #4 (permalink)
ExCal

Lol I got a chuckle out of the post from the 2nd poster. But that is pretty interesting I have never heard about anything like that before.

Unread 04-06-2007   #5 (permalink)
kittylover88kat

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineP View Post
I picture little kitties with little cowboy hats on chasing buffalo and cows. LOL
That would be so cute!LOL

Unread 05-08-2007   #6 (permalink)
Lila42

It would make sense. I once watched an episode of "Flip this House, " where people by houses in need of repair at reduced costs, fix them up, and sell them for a profit. One guy had mice in the yard, and picked up two cats from the pound. They were sacared to death in their little carriers. He dumped them out, and one wouldn't even come out. He had to shake the cat out. He said something like, I guess this one isnt' going to help any. I wrote the show and needless to say I don't watch anymore. Poor cats in a shelter, hoping for a better life, dumped in a back yard. But yes, I can see where cats could have served a purpose in the wild west.

Unread 03-22-2008   #7 (permalink)
catlover13

o my gosh if i could se those people with those kitties in the wagons i would think they were nuts! how did they keep all the kitties in there for that long!!! lol! they had to put up with lots of meowing, scratching, fights, and howling! it would be a scene!

Unread 05-15-2008   #8 (permalink)
ChanceofRanye

Kittys+cowboys+wagons=a hard days work,lol!!!

Unread 06-21-2008   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineP View Post
plus the boots and the whip!!! hahaha! that would be silly.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 05-26-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Your paintings are lovely, you have a great talent Suresh

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Tags
cat , catnip , cats , cute , eye , fights , fixed , game , great , hey , house , indoor , interesting , kitties , kitty , love , meowing , morning , mouse , picture , playing , present , scratching , shelter , silly , tale , wild

Sponsored Cat Links