It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-30-2008   #1 (permalink)
Catmom

Default Cats in ancient Egypt.

Cats were worshipped in ancient Egypt. Some examples, owners would shave off their eyebrows whenever their cat died. The whole family would go into mourning. Anyone who killed a cat would be stoned to death.

In fact, in 1890, there were 300,000 cat mummies found at one ancient tomb complex in Egypt.

Cats were well protected in that culture.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-21-2008   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

The cat in ancient Egypt, or miw (to see), was a sacred and respected beast. These small companions fascinated the Egyptians, and were venerated by all. It was in Egypt that the cat was first domesticated 4,000 years ago and where they were held in the most admiration and respect. There is evidence of wild felines around the banks of Egypt, but it was not until around 2000 BCE that the fully domesticated cat was brought into the houses of Egyptians.

The first domesticated Egyptian cats in Egypt were more than likely used for warding off the common asp and other snakes, and the typical chasers of rodents. Slowly though, the cat became more to the Egyptians than just a normal animal, the cat became a god.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-08-2008   #3 (permalink)
Faye

Default Cats in Ancient Egypt

Yes, cats were worshipped in ancient Egypt, and I think one of my cats, Emma thinks this should still be the case!!! She is such a kitty diva....but I love her of course.

Will post photos of my five furbabies soon.

Faye and the Furrtastic Five

Unread 10-09-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yes I knew also, I love History!
Like Faye's Emma, my Lady Brenda thinks this still should be the case...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 10-09-2008   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi Faye and welcome,so sorry about you house and cats.I'm Cheryl,owned by 7 fluffy kids.What are your other cats names?xxxxx
Unread 10-22-2008   #6 (permalink)
Kyle2008

Cats (Felis silvestris catus), known in ancient Egypt as the miw, played a large role in ancient Egyptian society. Beginning as a wild, untamed species, cats were useful for keeping down vermin populations in the Egyptians' crops and harvests; through exposure to humans, the cat population became domesticated over time and learned to coexist with the human population.
=======================
Kyle
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

Unread 10-23-2008   #7 (permalink)
Lalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmom View Post
cats were worshipped in ancient egypt. Some examples, owners would shave off their eyebrows whenever their cat died. The whole family would go into mourning. Anyone who killed a cat would be stoned to death.

In fact, in 1890, there were 300,000 cat mummies found at one ancient tomb complex in egypt.

Cats were well protected in that culture.
that is so interesting. Cat is adorable

Unread 10-23-2008   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

300,000 cat mummies!!! WOW that's a lot!!!
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|
Unread 10-24-2008   #9 (permalink)
sandy2008

Cats, known in ancient Egypt as the miw, played a large role in ancient Egyptian society. Beginning as a wild, untamed species, cats were useful for keeping down vermin populations in the Egyptians' crops and harvests; through exposure to humans, the cat population became domesticated over time and learned to coexist with the human population.
================================================== ========
Sandy
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

Unread 01-20-2010   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Angelic
cheryl is on a distinguished road

yes, you are right. And to kill a cat also meant execution. The King Tut exhibit was recently at a local museum. There were many cat mummies and beautiful solid gold caskets for their cats on display. The egyptians mummified their cats after death to ensure their arrival in the afterlife with their owners! I like the way they thought!!!!!!

Tags
adorable , amazing , animal , beautiful , cat , cats , cool , family , found , hey , house , interesting , kitties , kitty , love , museum , photos , small , wild

Sponsored Cat Links