It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2009   #11 (permalink)
BadCat

corn can also cause diabetes in cats because of its high "sugar" content. SD is on my black list of pet foods. The vet says use it because he gets a kick back from the company for selling it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-18-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

So what would you all say is the best food for growing kittens? Mine are 6 and 8 months, I want to make sure they get the proper nutrition they need. The SPCA gave us a 5lb bag of Purina Kitten Chow. I didn't read the ingredients yet, but I am going to!
I've actually never even heard of Innova
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamiDante For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-18-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I feed my kitten Royal Canin, as for my adult cat, I give her (now) Hill's hairball control... sometimes I transition... (I tried Purina Indoor, Whiskas Indoor, Choice...)
Here is a link to pet food ingredients :
Pet Food Ingredients Revealed! page 0 - Introduction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irene Jims For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-18-2009   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I picked up a sample of Avoderm Chicken & Herring Meal for kittens at my local feed store.
The first few ingredients are: Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Chicken Fat, Herring Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Milk Protein, Dried Brewers Yeast, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Chicory Root, Avocado Oil, Avocado Meal

I'm not sure about the corn gluten, but it sounds so much better then the Kitten Chow I was given, so I am going to try this out on my kittens and see if they like it. If so, I will be buying a larger bag. Any opinions on this one?
The Following User Says Thank You to CamiDante For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-19-2009   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I picked up a sample of Avoderm Chicken & Herring Meal for kittens at my local feed store.
The first few ingredients are: Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Chicken Fat, Herring Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Milk Protein, Dried Brewers Yeast, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Chicory Root, Avocado Oil, Avocado Meal

I'm not sure about the corn gluten, but it sounds so much better then the Kitten Chow I was given, so I am going to try this out on my kittens and see if they like it. If so, I will be buying a larger bag. Any opinions on this one?
I'm not that nervous with corn, as long as it's natural (nothing artificial i'll give my kitties, i tried to..) and as long as they combine things together in the right proportion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irene Jims For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-26-2009   #16 (permalink)
catmadkate

Lightbulb

It is possible that vets recommend Hill's due to commission as that is where most of it is sold but I did some work experience at a vet's and they recommended that but also James Wellbeloved which they didn't sell so I suspect there is some truth in it.
The anti-furball one certainly seems to help Sootie

Unread 04-26-2009   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Great !! My kitties also accept Anti furball food perfectly. But as I said, sometimes I transititon and give them additional nutrition. Salmon is a good choice, chicken breast is good too. At least they love it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Irene Jims For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-22-2009   #18 (permalink)
Big_Kahuna

Default Didn't know this was a big issue

we feed our little boy SD and he seems healthy & happy. We also give him a little wet food morning & evening (he loves this even more!). We got our little guy from Small Miracles Cat Rescue (Ellicott City, MD) and it's what they give all their cats. We couldn't be happier with the health & behavior of Joey, so I have to think they know what's best.

Unread 05-22-2009   #19 (permalink)
vampyra1

Oh, I love this question!

Baby Sabotage eats two meals a day. If I am running late for work or too tired I'll feed him Nature's Balance or Organix or Newmans own wet food and 1/4 cup of Wellness dry for variety. (We are Organic eating folks!) If I have time, I whip him up raw in my personal blender. Either beef or chicken or turkey mixed with sardines or salmon or mackerel, sometimes brown rice if I have it already cooked and a small scoop of kitty raw food supplement.

As for my opinion on the Hill's Science Diet... some of our cat loving pals live in places in the world where cat food brands are limited. Although not the best choice in the world, HSD does beat out most grocery store brands, ingredient-wise (not the regular HSD!). If thats all you got, thats all you got.

Unread 05-22-2009   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post

I stand corrected on this, being as neither cat would touch it! They eat the kitten chow (purina) and have a little wet food mixed in, for breakfast. The vet told me today that I need to switch them out, no more kitten food. Now my dilemma lies in finding a good nutritious food for them!
The Following User Says Thank You to CamiDante For This Useful Post:

Tags
age , animal , babies , baby , behavior , bills , black , boy , brown , canned food , car , care for your cats , cat , cats , commercial , diabetes , diarrhea , diet , dogs , dry food , eating , egg , fish , food , found , great , growth , happy , healthy , hey , information about cats , interesting , kitten , kitten food , kitty , lost , loving , mistake , morning , mouse , nutrition , opinion , pet , pet food , problems , question , raw , rescue , royal , sale , save , shelter , shopping , sick , small , transition , turkey , type , vet , vet bills , weaned , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links