It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2010   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

BoogaKittys is on a distinguished road

If you give them plenty of things to climb and claw on they will not claw the furniture. I also use what I call "bad kitty" and that is a spray bottle filled with water. If they are about to claw something spray them and they will learn.

I have 7 cats that all have claws and they do not scratch the couch at all now. After I bought them lots of stuff to scratch on its not a problem anymore.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-12-2010   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Just a question but the last time my boys were in for their shots there was a pamphlet left out on the waiting room table and it was about declawing but using laser. I'd never heard of this before and wondered how the heck that works. I know that they can be neutered with a laser but claws? It just doesn't seem right to me somehow. I would imagine that would be painful as well. Just wondered if anyone else has heard of this procedure before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-13-2010   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road

Actually, declawing by laser would probably be almost painless. If it's a laser similar to that used in LASIK, then the laser ablates just one microscopic line of cells - without affecting the cells on either side of the line at all. The laser is so precise that it can sculpt fancy carvings into a single hair. It probably costs a fortune though. Hmm.. I imagine that sometime in the future, if there is still a death penalty, they will be using lasers to do it. That would be something like Anakin Skywalker dispatching Count Dookoo aka Darth Tyranus (Christopher Lee).
Unread 02-13-2010   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

The only effect I can think of that would be better (as if any of it is good), is with laser, there is no blood loss because the laser burns the veins shut. And talk about 4th degree burns.....

Just don't do it.

By the way, Shuranda, it's "Dooku"
Unread 02-15-2010   #15 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Excellent points. I wish I could post your letter in front of every single vets office so people decide not to declaw. I made a 4 1/2-foot carpeted scratching post with a wooden "perch" on top. My cats love to scratch on it and climb up and just hang out. I also bought alot of different toys, and I take the time to play with them and give them lots of attention, and they never scratch the couch. I bought a bunch of little plastic balls with bells inside, and I attached a string to them and the cats love to chase it.
Unread 02-15-2010   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
carrie is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Thought I'd add my two cents. Using a laser still removes the toe at the same place, the joint. It still severs the nerves, tendons, and ligaments. The cat is still left without the means to "hook" his claws into a post and stretch his muscles, as is vital for his over-all muscle-tone. And he is still left having to walk on his pads instead of his toes as he's meant to. (He's digitigrage, meaning walks on toes) This can lead to artritis and joint trouble later on.

It's more than his means of defense, it's a vital part of his whole body, necessary for his health and well-being. It's what makes him a cat! Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I did write about it just yesterday, and seeing how it's the topic of conversation today, feel free to check it out: Maine Coon Cat Declawing

~Carrie~

Unread 02-22-2010   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Angry Just say not to declawing it is cat abuse

Just say no to declawing last year a law was passed which states that you can't declaw a cat in the state of California it was a long fight but the law was passed no more abused cats. i use duct tape with the sticky side out an put it where i don't want my kitty kids to scratch an it works i build-ed scratching post for them an they don't scratch the walls bed chairs and so on. I would not like to have my finger nails removed so why do it to a poor kitty cat.

Happy Hippie =^..^=
Unread 02-22-2010   #18 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default California

California is a very strange place legally. For instance, it is virtually impossible to win a malpractice suit against a doctor in California. They are overrun with illegal aliens and illegal workers... You can't smoke a cigar in a municipal building unless your name is Arnold, and you can't use a cell phone while driving unless your last name is Shriver. Essentially, California is a land of strange laws that aren't enforced. Murder also seems to be legal in California as is beating people for traffic citations, and dragging people from their trucks and beating them an inch from death. I don't think its a good idea to declaw either, but it beats a trip to the animal shelter - same thing goes for neutering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippie View Post
Just say no to declawing last year a law was passed which states that you can't declaw a cat in the state of California it was a long fight but the law was passed no more abused cats. i use duct tape with the sticky side out an put it where i don't want my kitty kids to scratch an it works i build-ed scratching post for them an they don't scratch the walls bed chairs and so on. I would not like to have my finger nails removed so why do it to a poor kitty cat.
Unread 02-23-2010   #19 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

I would take the animal shelter over declawing any day of the week.

Good for Cali, bout time they did something right
Unread 02-26-2010   #20 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuranda View Post
California is a very strange place legally. For instance, it is virtually impossible to win a malpractice suit against a doctor in California. They are overrun with illegal aliens and illegal workers... You can't smoke a cigar in a municipal building unless your name is Arnold, and you can't use a cell phone while driving unless your last name is Shriver. Essentially, California is a land of strange laws that aren't enforced. Murder also seems to be legal in California as is beating people for traffic citations, and dragging people from their trucks and beating them an inch from death. I don't think its a good idea to declaw either, but it beats a trip to the animal shelter - same thing goes for neutering.

Ya you are right California has some strange laws and for Arnold smoking doctor and malpractice Shriver driving wile cell phoning. all you need is MONEY AND A NAME OR BE A COP an the law will not apply to you. in my old hood when i was a kid an teen seeing a dead body was a everyday thing if you called a ambulance they would ask you if you could meet them six blocks away form where you called the police would not show up unless you tell them that a cop was shot. this was in Milwaukee Wisconsin in the 70s a lot worse now. if you want legal murder go Milwaukee. An for the off the wall an dumb law here in sunny California now an then a good one get passed like this one no declawing of cats.

Happy Hippie =^..^=

I am all for spay an neutering i also support TNR (Trap Neuter Return) programs for feral abandon stray an homeless cats.

Tags
aggressive , animal , breed , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , claws , cool , cut , dog , dogs , family , fever , friends , furniture , health , hey , hurt , infection , interesting , kitten , kitty , laser , love , lovers , museum , natural , neutering , nose , person , pet , play , problems , scratch , scratching , shelter , small , soft paws , spay , stop , toys , vocal , why? , window

Sponsored Cat Links