It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Emery Cat - claw board update

After having those Emery Cat boards for a few months, I would say that they are NOT effective for keeping the cat's claws "trimmed". You will probably still have to do that. The boards DO help protect your furniture because the cats scratch the emery board instead of your furniture. However, the boards are not that durable since they are made out of a cross-section of corrugated cardboard. The cats shred up that cardboard pretty fast - which will require buying more boards. In the advertisements for the emery board, it looks like a metallic mesh or something durable - but it isn't. It is basically a curved cross-section of heavy-duty cardboard with some abrasive glued to it.

I am going to try a cat bag next.. supposedly they are used by professional groomers to trim cat's claws. They are sold on ebay. The only thing I worry about is which size bag to get.. there are 3 sizes. They don't mention how to determine which size to get for your cat. If anybody knows.. tell me please! There is only one manufacturer for them. They cost roughly $14.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-07-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuranda View Post
After having those Emery Cat boards for a few months, I would say that they are NOT effective for keeping the cat's claws "trimmed". You will probably still have to do that. The boards DO help protect your furniture because the cats scratch the emery board instead of your furniture. However, the boards are not that durable since they are made out of a cross-section of corrugated cardboard. The cats shred up that cardboard pretty fast - which will require buying more boards. In the advertisements for the emery board, it looks like a metallic mesh or something durable - but it isn't. It is basically a curved cross-section of heavy-duty cardboard with some abrasive glued to it.

I am going to try a cat bag next.. supposedly they are used by professional groomers to trim cat's claws. They are sold on ebay. The only thing I worry about is which size bag to get.. there are 3 sizes. They don't mention how to determine which size to get for your cat. If anybody knows.. tell me please! There is only one manufacturer for them. They cost roughly $14.
Hi--I bought the Emery Cat board but my two cats absolutely refuse to use it, even when I put the catnip on it--they lick the catnip off and go underneath it, tipping it over. Then when it is tipped over (so that the corrugated cardboard is facing up), they use THAT PART as a scratching post,and ripped it to shreds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-07-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Hopefully the cat bag is going to work. I need to find a way to deal with the claws without them shredding my arm. I still have a visible 2 inch long scar on my forearm from a 2 month old claw tear. The big puncture I got 2 weeks ago on my other arm got infected but I got amoxycillin for it.
Unread 02-07-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Jane Phillips is on a distinguished road

I know the feeling! I, too, have a long 2-inch scar on my forearm. UGH. I want to have both of my cats de-clawed in the front but right now, I'm unemployed. I've been told over $300 for just one cat. I think de-clawing is the only answer. I've tried cat-proofing my home but Capone and Dillinger still get into everything. Some of it wood antiqiue furniture (that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother) that they have decided to use as scratching posts. Maybe I can work a deal with the vet to pay off the bill when I get a job! Of course, in these days, that may be awhile!

Aunt Kitty, Thanks for letting me know that the emery boards do not work. I was considering buying one. Now I know the only route is to have "my boys" declawed in the front. They are both indoor cats only. All of my cats over the years have had their front claws taken away. I like them to keep their back claws, JUST IN CASE they happen to get outside. That's kind of difficult, since I live on the second floor of a three story building. Now, it's just a matter of figuring out HOW to pay for it!
Unread 02-07-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

There is a declawing alternative posted on this site Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats
It involves gluing soft plastic tips onto your cats claws. I can't believe that this would work though. My cats would chew them off in no time. I think it would be very difficult to get them on also. I will be ordering a "cat bag" this week that is supposed to be what professional cat groomers use. None of them will advise me which size bag to get for my cats, so I think I will get the smallest bag. If there is room to move around in, they will wind up inside the bag and I won't have the one leg poking out.
Unread 02-07-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

You're right-the caps don't work. I've talked about the caps with both cat owners who have used them and my vet. They all came back with the same answer. The cats pull them off, although it's not dangerous for the cats to swallow them. That's just a waste of time and money, to me. Especially if they're just going to pull them off. I simply haven't got the money to keep putting into those. At least, not without a job. I've also checked into the bags and you're right there, too. You have to have the right size or it won't work. So, I always go back to de-clawing. Since my boys are only 5 months old right now, it'd be better to do it now. Once I do find a job (I hope soon) and will be gone all day, I can't be around to keep pulling my boys off the furniture. I've always had 2 cats together and even without the front claws, they've always had a ball playing with each other. I'd never de-claw the back claws, just in case they do get out--they need some defense.
Unread 02-07-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Wink not popular...

You aren't going to win any popularity contests here by having your cats declawed..heh

I think the smallest bag is the one to get. The idea is to temporarily limit their mobility.

I forget what age that the vets are willing to neuter a cat. They are probably able to do the deed even as kittens.. the females can get preggers at 3 months old. I have heard vets say that they won't neuter a male until their plumbing has grown to sufficient size for various reasons, but that seems questionable to me since most cats are obtained as kittens, and often the owners will not bring in the cats once they get them home from their adoption. It would have been a good idea if my adopted sister was spayed before she was adopted, but that is another story also. Hmm.. declawing her wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Unread 02-07-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

No, I probably won't win any popularity contests, but that's happened before! HA! Many cats have owned me over the years, but the last time I had kittens was over 20 years ago! YIKES! I'd forgotten what it's like to have kittens. ZOOM-ZOOM! My cousin volunteers at a no-kill shelter and she called me when Dillinger and Capone showed up there. In fact, they had been abandoned! Can you believe it? Whoever abandoned them should be shot. That's a terrible thing to do. Anyway, I had just put the last of my 2 twenty year old cats to sleep, after they had both become quite ill. So, I didnt' think I was ready for more. I went to the shelter, just to please my cousin. Boy, was I wrong. These two adopted me right away. They were 4 months old at the time. Both had been neutered at the shelter, so that isn't a concern. I did have to update their rabies and distemper, since the shelter is in another county from where I live. They've had their wellness exams, too. So, all that's left are the claws. My only other problem? They are IDENTICAL twins!! Not even the vet could tell them apart. Luckily for me, they had been chipped at the shelter! Now that I know who is who, I have different color collars on them. I went on this website to check my photos and --WHOOPS--wrong names on wrong cats. In fact, the SAME photo for both cats!! SO, today I've contacted this web site asking them to delete all of my photos and I'll upload them again. It would be easier. I think. You can check for them, if you'd like. Search under my user name Jane Phillips. Much easier. The one marked Dillinger is really Capone. The photo of Dillinger, that I could have sworn I uploaded, I can't find at all. So, I hope they take my advice and just delete all of my photos and I'll start again. Is it any wonder I can't find a job? I'm too busy straightening out the photos that I sent to the web site in the first place! My fault! As they say in my family "Phillips Luck!"
Unread 02-07-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Angry
Sasha Canadian is on a distinguished road
Default itty Emery Board product reviews

HELLO =^..^= LOVERS,

Sasha Canadian here; just joined when I read about declawing and vocal cord cutting, I registered. Also read the Kitty Emery Board product reviews.

Regarding declawing, vocal cord cutting, tail docking and whatever else humans do to other species: Mother Nature creates species with very specific features, one being self defense tools (species includes Us: human species). We are not Mother Nature so we have no right to alter other species. Personally I find it hard to believe an animal lover can do that; not someone I'd trust with my children or pets... Do believe in England it is illegal to declaw.

My three cats use "Omega Paw Scratch Box", a product I bought many years ago. It is a blue oblong plastic frame with a bat toy on top and the insert is a honey-comb patterned corrigagted box. Evey so often I put on catnip and "the boys", Norman the King, and the Princes Felix and Baby Racal (all rescued kitties) love it. They scratch to their hearts' content, shredding the replaceable insert box. It is a good flex exercise for their nails and tendons in the kitty fingers but it does not FILE DOWN nails.

Not one who would ever in this life time declaw or cut of a kitty's finger and toe joint which contains the nail, my solution is a friend who is a veterinary nurse/assistant comes to the cats Palace once every six weeks. She clips nails, cleans ears, examines my kitties eyes, fur quality, etc. Prince Felix has a heart murmur so I have a stethascope and our home nurse listens to his heart rate.

At home growing up my Mother would wrap our cats up in a towel this way:

Best with two humans:
to Trim front paws: firmly twirl towel around cat beginning just behind shoulders right along to the end of kitty which means back paws are inside towel. One human holds towel & kitty firmly across chest, with arms firmly locking kitty into place on chest. Second person clips nails.

to Trim back paws: frimly twirl towel around kitty from neck (front paws inside towel) ending twirl in front of back paws. Kitty in a chest lock on first person, second person clips nails on back paws.

Firmly means firmly...wrapping for front paw trim also works very well should one have to wash a kitty bottom because of loose bowel movements. Best with two humans for this procedure, but can be done alone.

Ditto for pussycat a pill: wrap firmly enclosing front & back paws. One person holds kitty firmly, other opens mouth and inserts pill. Gently hold kitty's mouth closed and massage neck until you feel the cat swallow medication. I wait for third swallow before untoweling my kitty.

Felix is a ultra furry Maine Coon kitty; we use a furminator (got it at PetSmart in Plattsburgh, NY) about four times a year on his fur. Groom my kitties fur every day with a nice stainless steel short and long combed teeth. Ours is an import from England which I bought 25 years ago; most U.S. and Canadian pet supply stores carry similar ones. You might like one if your kitty is an explosion of fur click:

Hope these tips help some of you and your kitties...so happy to "meet" you! Just key in Omega Paw Scratch Box and Furminator into your browser and click to find products.

Sasha Canadian AKA Sasha the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuranda View Post
Hopefully the cat bag is going to work. I need to find a way to deal with the claws without them shredding my arm. I still have a visible 2 inch long scar on my forearm from a 2 month old claw tear. The big puncture I got 2 weeks ago on my other arm got infected but I got amoxycillin for it.

Hi,

Re the cat bag size question, I can't post URL 'cause haven't posted enough yet. Try this:

in your browser Google: adult cats 7 pounds and smaller

URL with the word messybeast before the .com is the site which gives cat sizes. It may help you decide which size bag to get for your kitty.

Sasha Canadian AKA Sasha the Cat
mother of 3 resuced, indoor kitties:
Norman the King; Felix the Prince and Baby Rascal the Prince
and food provider for three cats some poor excuse of humans abandoned:
Ebony, Rusty and FluffStuff

Last edited by Sasha Canadian; 02-07-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: took out URLs
Unread 02-07-2010   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

I don't know about cats in general, but with my cats, they use their claws in OFFENSIVE ways and not DEFENSIVE. However, claws would be useful for climbing if trying to escape something. I don't quite understand my cats teeth. I don't think their fangs are used for eating only for poking holes in my hands and arms. I wonder why when my cats fight, they don't wind up with significant bloody bites. The aggressive cat typically winds up with a mouth full of tufts of fur from the other cat, without breaking the skin. I don't think he's using his fangs to bite the other cat. He must be gently clamping down and holding on and the tufts of fur result from the other cat pulling away. I can't think of a reason why a house cat needs fangs, but I have no plans on removing them! hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Phillips View Post
I had just put the last of my 2 twenty year old cats to sleep, after they had both become quite ill.
My adopted sister is 19 and was ill with a cough for over a month and has herpes. I wonder if she could be put to sleep?

Seriously though, it is interesting to compare 4 legged pets to 2 legged ones. I suspect that most cats and dogs wind up being euthanized instead of lingering on blind, deaf, incontinent, mentally incapacitated, unable to eat properly, and crippled up. Humans, however, often suffer and linger for years before ultimately dying. That is becoming more of an issue since it is now possible to extend human's lives an average of 20 years with intensive medication therapies.

Tags
adopted , adoption , age , aggressive , animal , baby , behaviour , bites , bowel , box , boy , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cat's , catnip , cats , clawing , claws , color , cut , defensive , dogs , eating , eyes , fast , friends , fur , furniture , great , groom , heart murmur , hey , home , indoor , interesting , kittens , kitty , mat , money , neuter , new home , no-kill , pill , playing , scratch , scratching , search , shelter , smart , spayed , story , tips , vet , vocal , worry

Sponsored Cat Links