It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2010   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuranda View Post
I don't think missing half a tongue is a big deal. I have seen dogs with only 2 legs (one in front and one in back) that could run just as fast as a normal dog. There are humans that have half of their brain removed to avoid seizures, and they live fairly normal lives. My adopted 19 year old sister didn't know how to operate a hand operated can opener until just tonight.. soo.. I'm thinking that having half a tongue is not a fatal handicap.
Now that really puts things into perspective, lol. I agree - half a tongue is not fatal. At least kitty still has a tongue, unlike one I know who bit into an electrical cord as a kitten and fried her entire tongue off. She lived 19 years with no tongue and got along just fine. Now I'm sure there's more that has to be done to accommodate, but it can work

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-04-2010   #12 (permalink)
Newborn

lizaroy is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am sure it can. well i think.because if a human can live with out one maybe just maybe a cat can too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-18-2010   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

peachjubilee is on a distinguished road

I don't see why not, I know someone that rescued a cat with half it's lower jaw broken off( stray cat hit by a car). The vets repaired what they could and found him a loving home, they think he survived like that for 1yr.

My cat has all but the small front top teeth and the the very back tooth on either side and he does just fine, he drools a little more but it hasn't affected his eating habits or anything.

you might just have to adjust to him with the special case that he has but I'm sure he will do just fine, with your TLC he will probably live a very long life.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-01-2010   #14 (permalink)
Newborn

laurabows is on a distinguished road

hi there i was just wondering if you still had your cat and hows he getting on? i adopted a cat from the rspca 2 years ago and he only has half a tongue, they dont know what happened to him as he was missing half of his tongue when they found him as a stray. he copes pretty well, he still eats and drinks fine although i do have to wipe his mouth when hes finished his food. hes not the best at grooming himself, but after speaking to my local vet they have said its fine for me to take him there every few months or so and they will sedate him and wash him for me. i have attempted to wash him myself, but its impossible!! would love to hear how you and your kitty are getting along.
Unread 11-03-2010   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

Cat Connection is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddwarf321 View Post
Any one help please, Harry was hit by a car 8 days ago he sufferd a fractured jaw cut mouth and had to have over half his tongue removed. All this was done by the wonderful PDSA, he is having difficulty eating and the are now telling us to consider putting him to sleep obviousley this is breaking our hearts and we don't know what to do. We havn't seen him since we left him and he is a big spoilt cat we think perhaps if we got him home he may settle be happy and eat...We have another cat and she has just started to eat as she has been missing him...ANY HELP OR ADVICE PLEASE!
Sure can. I had a cat that lost his tongue to calici virus at 3 and lived to a ripe old age
Unread 11-15-2010   #16 (permalink)
Newborn

tewe is on a distinguished road
Default My cat has 1/3 of a tongue

I really hope you got him home OK - by now you will have worked out that the problem is in the cleaning - I am washing my cat once a week or 2 weekly and am currently wet wiping her coat to help her out - she tends to spit on herself to try to keep clean which collects dirt and causes her to pull out all her fur - it's hard work but worth it - hope you solved it yourself - good luck!
Unread 12-08-2010   #17 (permalink)
Newborn

damunk is on a distinguished road
Default My cat's saga with half a tongue

Hello, I hope that whatever happened with your cat that you are okay...so sorry to hear.

My cat had a little more than half of his tongue amputated 3 weeks ago. He got a thin piece of string form the mattress box he scratches, and it became wrapped around the back of his tongue multiple times very tightly. This cut off circulation.

We weren't aware this happened as he was acting normal until the next day. He was extra lethargic and had his mouth open...It smelled really bad. We took him to the vet and saw that his tonuge was black, cold and infected.

Of course before commiting to the surgery ($3000 canadian dollars for it) the vet told us nothing was guaranteed. He may not be able to eat or drink water on his own again. His survival would depend on his personal adaptability.

I of course gave the go ahead for the surgery, as painful to my wallet as it may be and as uncertain the outcome would be.

He has a feeding tube in his throat where his food and water are administered 3 times daily. This costs about 80 dollars a month. The first week he was back he just sat and rested...did not look happy. He kept scratching at his neck where the feeding tube is (there is a bib like collar there though protecting it). We would let him smell out human food like bbq chicken which he loves dearly. He would smell it but thats it. We always had a saucer with a little bit of wet food..and water for him incase he was feeling adventurous. He didn't touch any of this until a week ago.

He found a bag of his treats and ripped it open....i don't think he was able to pick up any but at least he still had the will to eat. He tried to eat the wet food but he didnt have his tongue to scoop it up, so it just ended up being mashed up kind of from the forces of his face/mouth pressing into it.

What does work is when we hand feed him treats...we tilt his head up and drop it in. The vet said in the rare case he may choke, we are to pull or tqap the back of his neck.

Alas, i found dry food he can eat on his own. It is a brand we get from the vet. It is the size and shape of coco puff cereal. It being largers than his other food, it is easier fro him to pick up and eat. Hes been eating a few pieces on his own now for a few days.

Water is the next challenge. We will try to get a water tube like the kind hamsters use. Or we are trying to contruct a feeding station that will hold the food and water at a higher angle easier for him to put his head back and feast. We'll try to teach him (perhaps by mimicking what he should do and feeling silly?)...but we're hoping he'll figure it out because we all know how hard (impossible even) it is to train an independent cat.

He loves grooming himself. He still does this even though his tongue doesn't extend past his mouth. He ends up all wet and a tad smelly...we wipe him with baby wipes after. He can't lick his nose so we always have to check if theres any cat litter obstructing his nostrils.

Day by day he gets better. Then we are suprised by breakthroughs, like when he ripped open the treat bag...or when he ate solid food on his own.

It will take time and patience. He even started playing a few days ago.

It is worth the shot. He just needs extra care and I'm sure we'll have a loving relationship with him for many years to come
Unread 12-25-2014   #18 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Inspired
cj71schmidt is on a distinguished road
Default my cat Junior has only 1/2 his tongue

on December 19,2014 my baby Junior was hit by a car. I found him right after hit happened the person never stopped to see if he was alive. I rushed him to the vet where they had to remove half his tongue and a canine tooth. I had to transfer him to a animal hospital for him to have 24 hr care. I was told by the vet who admitted him that I should consider putting him down. Something inside me told me not to. I got visit with him and I talked to him and asked to fight to live he started to needle. He came home the next day and everyday he amazes me. Today he ate soft food on his own, he walks around the house when I leave him out of his crate. He is my miracle kitty. So to the person who posted about their cat having a half tongue I hope you decided to take your baby home to heal.
Unread 12-26-2014   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

garrettmarvelwilson is on a distinguished road

That's an amazing story! And I’m thankful for all who helped to save his life. And he’s so lucky to have you, it will be difficult for him to live on it’s his own.

That's an amazing story! And I’m thankful for all who helped to save his life. And he’s so lucky to have you, it will be difficult for him to live on it’s his own.
Unread 02-17-2015   #20 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Oh so sad..But at starting time it is very difficult to harry and after some time she will be be accept it. cats can survive with half toungue but take care her diet plan. Try to give her wet meals.

Tags
adopted , advice , age , another cat , baby , black , canned food , car , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , collar , cut , diet , dogs , dry food , eating , environment , fast , food , found , happy , hey , home , indoor , kitten , kitty , lost , love , loving , medical , missing , playing , sad , scared , sleep , small , story , stray , surgery , vet , water , wet food , window

Sponsored Cat Links