It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

reddwarf321 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Can a cat survive with half a tongue?

Any one help please, Harry was hit by a car 8 days ago he sufferd a fractured jaw cut mouth and had to have over half his tongue removed. All this was done by the wonderful PDSA, he is having difficulty eating and the are now telling us to consider putting him to sleep obviousley this is breaking our hearts and we don't know what to do. We havn't seen him since we left him and he is a big spoilt cat we think perhaps if we got him home he may settle be happy and eat...We have another cat and she has just started to eat as she has been missing him...ANY HELP OR ADVICE PLEASE!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-16-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

I think so. Cats can still survive even if they have half a tongue. But it'll cause a lot of discomfort.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-16-2010   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddwarf321 View Post
Any one help please, Harry was hit by a car 8 days ago he sufferd a fractured jaw cut mouth and had to have over half his tongue removed. All this was done by the wonderful PDSA, he is having difficulty eating and the are now telling us to consider putting him to sleep obviousley this is breaking our hearts and we don't know what to do. We havn't seen him since we left him and he is a big spoilt cat we think perhaps if we got him home he may settle be happy and eat...We have another cat and she has just started to eat as she has been missing him...ANY HELP OR ADVICE PLEASE!
Oh poor Harry, I am so sorry.

Like you said, maybe he will settle when he is home with you.

He must be so stressed out, love him. Being apart from you and your other cat.
Give it try, or you'll never know.
Please don't have him put to sleep without giving it a go.

Please come back and update on your situation.
Hugs, Che. xxxxx
Unread 02-16-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

That is so sad, but I think that I would also take him home and see how he copes, it maybe that he can only cope with canned food, but it's worth a go. I hope it all works out for him. Blessings
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 02-17-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
carrie is on a distinguished road

Please do update us on Harry when you get a chance! I agree with the others, maybe he will do ok with canned food. And maybe he'll eat better at home. I would give that a go...

Best wishes,
~Carrie~

Unread 02-17-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Oh, poor little kitty. I agree with everyone else--please take him home. The poor baby must be so scared not knowing where you are. Dont put him to sleep and please consider making him an indoor cat. I know that cats love the outdooors, but this is why I don't let mine outside. They have a window perch to look otside. Maybe you can add water to canned food to make it easier to eat. If this doesn't work, ask the vet if there is some kind of eyedropper you can use to feed him and also to give him water. Please let us know how he is doing.
Unread 02-20-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road

Sure it can survive with half a tongue. It could survive with no tongue. With half a tongue he might sound like Sylvester the Cat and say "Thufferin Thuckotash!" though. And if he got colored pink with betadine from his medical treatment, he might say "Heaven's To Murgatroid, even!" "Exit stage right, even!" (Snagglepuss)
Unread 02-20-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

squirrelpawlover101 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

If it seems like hes really really suffering you might want to consider putting him to sleep. You dont want him to live a life of pain, do you?
Unread 02-26-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Oh my goodness. Please bring him home to his own environment and to the people he knows and trusts and loves. He should be able to adapt to having half a tongue. I'm sure you'll be surprised at his recovery once home.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 02-27-2010   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road

I don't think missing half a tongue is a big deal. I have seen dogs with only 2 legs (one in front and one in back) that could run just as fast as a normal dog. There are humans that have half of their brain removed to avoid seizures, and they live fairly normal lives. My adopted 19 year old sister didn't know how to operate a hand operated can opener until just tonight.. soo.. I'm thinking that having half a tongue is not a fatal handicap.

Tags
adopted , advice , age , another cat , baby , black , canned food , car , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , collar , cut , diet , dogs , dry food , eating , environment , fast , food , found , happy , hey , home , indoor , kitten , kitty , lost , love , loving , medical , missing , playing , sad , scared , sleep , small , story , stray , surgery , vet , water , wet food , window

Sponsored Cat Links