It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Kristy_Cash is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Angry Cat At My Wits End

I love my kitty, he's like a son to me. We've had a problem with him since he was about...4 months old. He's currently 1.5 years old. Some of his daily behaivor is quite strange, and full of mood swings. Sometimes he's VERY sweet, lovey, cuddles, purrs, kneeds (drools!) on my shirt, other times he hisses at us, climbs the drywall (which we've reputtied over and over again". Sometimes I'll just walk by him and he'll attack me, and then two seconds later he is a sweet angel again. We've tried many things to try and stop this behaivor from ignoring it, walking away, spraying him with water, yelling, smacking, nothing works. I'm now convinced after his "episode" tonight that he has a hormonal imbalance or something. Have any of you tried a supplement for moodiness in cats? If so what was it called, we will try anything. I'm trying desperately in a loosing battle with my spouse to let baby Cash keep his nails, but soon we're going to have to have them removed because of his terrible behaivor. I do not know what else to do, I can't keep living like this, it is honestly so terrible.Getting rid of Cash is not an option but he;s terroizing us 60% of the time. And if we ever have friends come over and they dont even have to give him attention he FREAKS out and starts hissing and spitting at them. What can I do?!?!?!?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-24-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Try either 'Feliway' or 'Bachs Rescue Remedy' they may help, I believe that both can be bought off the internet. I wouldn't recommend having him declawed, it is a very nasty and painful operation, it is the equivalent of having your finger removed to the first knuckle! If the 'Feliway' or Rescue remedy don't work you could take him to the vet's if you can afford it and be recommened for cat therapy, I understand that it works, I have never tried this. Good luck and come back and let us know how you get on!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-24-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
carrie is on a distinguished road

Hi Kristy,

Here's a link you might find useful: Feline Behavior Problems: Aggression

A very interesting thing I noticed is that there is commonly a medical reason for aggression. A physical discomfort such as dental problems can cause a cat to act out, since they don't know what to do.

It also mentions "fear aggression", which sounds a lot like what your cat is doing. I would check with the vet first to make sure he's not in any discomfort, and then ask the vet for any homeopathic remedies for agitation. They probably will give you a recommendation.

Don't give him anything without checking it over with the vet first! It's good to hear you are leaving declawing as a very last resort, and that you are keeping him no matter what. Good for you.

Best wishes for Cash, and your family!
~Carrie~

Oh, p.s.- It's not hard to clip his nails, using guillotine-style clippers from the pet store. They work great, and keeping his nails trimmed will help minimize injuries till you have this sorted out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 02-24-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

He is a good boy when I clip his nails, and he was recently at the vet and everything with him is fine, I acutally work in a dental office so I make sure his teeth are nice, and the vet said that his teeth are perfect. I called the vet and they suggest to their patients that feliway spray but I'm also going to try the Bachs Rescue Remedy (its on order). I've tried the pherimone collar before and it made him TOO dosile, he was like a zombie and it was really sad....So thats why I'm going to try the rescue remedy first..I'll keep you guys posted! And Thanks so much for your help and support
Unread 03-14-2010   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

i just wanted to say that my cat is eleven months old, and has similar behaviour problems, sometimes she is all over you wanting to be petted and other times if you stroke her she will try and bite me, although she never scratches just bites, well anyway i dont know if there is a connection but yesterday she had two fits, this has never happened before and i took her to the emergency vet and he said she has epilepsy, i just thought that might be the explanation for her mood swings, hope you get your problems resolved with your cat without having to get her nails removed... jan
Unread 03-14-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road

I don't know how a vet could come up with a diagnosis of epilepsy. That would require a LOT of behavior observations and brain scans - which I'm not sure is even possible with a cat. Is your cat spayed or neutered? Frankly, any mammal that isn't spayed or neutered is not suitable as a pet. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea for human kids either!
Specifically, un-neutered male cats are too aggressive, too unpredictable, smellier, and pee where you don't want them to. Un-spayed females drive the males nuts when in heat, get pregnant, and act as if they are possessed by the devil under various circumstances. (hmm.. again like humans)
Unread 03-14-2010   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

hi, im sure your cat doesnt have epilepsy because it usually appears around one year old, sorry if i alarmed you, didnt mean to, i just always thought my cat had quite a strange personality, and after what happened yesterday i wondered if it was due to a neurological problem, my cat jonesy is female and eleven months old, she is on the waiting list to be neutered and she doesnt get out, i have always neutered all my cats at a very young age, she was due to get done in three weeks but after she had the sezuires the vet said they would have to make sure she is healthy enough to go through the operation, thanks, good luck, jan
Unread 03-16-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Hey guys, sorry its taken me so long to reply...where to start...did I mention that he's been neutered since he was 7 months old? The vet told me I had to wait til at least 6 months? Hopefully this problem isnt because we waited too long....yikes. We finally got some behaivor drops (all natural) and our first one we are trying is Bachs Pet Remeded, first observations are after he drinks his water or eats his wet food (which contains it) he is quite mellow and takes a nap right away, but whether or not its the drops or just a good day we cannot say quite yet, must do more observations...Thanks again guys ill keep you posted!

Tags
age , aggression , aggressive , angry , art , attack , baby , bat , behavior , behaviour , bite , bites , boy , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , clip , collar , family , friends , great , heat , hey , hissing , homeopathic , in heat , interesting , internet , kitty , love , mat , medical , nails , pee , pet , pregnant , problem , problems , rescue , sad , stop , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links