It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Katydyd4063 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: help cat is sucking on my clothes

I rescued an eight month old kitty that was starved to death. She's doing great now but she jumps in my lap and will start sucking on my shirt. I know she's not hungry because she does it sometimes right after she eats. I try ignoring her and it works sometimes, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Katydyd4063 For This Useful Post:

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-25-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

bunnie is on a distinguished road

it's a comfort gesture common to kittens separated from their mothers too soon and has nothing to do with hunger or food. one of mine does it, and outside of it being a bit itchy it's harmless. chalk it up to being a charming personality quirk and learn to live with it because it isn't likely to change too much. my cat is 12 and she still does it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-25-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
carrie is on a distinguished road

My Alice did that as a kitten, even though we got her at 12 weeks old. It's like "kneading", it reminds the cat of nursing, and you are her new Mama. When it got really out of hand (soaking our shirt) we would give her a little tap on the nose and she would move on the kneading and snuggling. She grew out of it.

No worries!
~Carrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 02-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

godmachine is on a distinguished road

when I was younger I was adopted by a cat that did that. It was wonderful to know she loved me enough to think of me as her mother. I did not smack my cat to teach it a lesson, I just got her, her own blanket I kept near and would drag it onto us when she started doing it. Also it was a great laugh when she started doing it to guests and they would laugh loads at her. I miss her loads.
Unread 02-26-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Liam never didi it but his brother Darby did a lot when younger and sometimes still tries. I just push him away say no and he usually stops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 05-08-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheeky
imperialfelines is an unknown quantity at this point

as many others have said, lots of cats do this.

it is a normal sign of affection.
Unread 05-08-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sleepy
remixedcat is on a distinguished road

its normal and its really really cute. I love it when my cat angel does this!
Unread 09-15-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

kittymom24 is on a distinguished road

the first time i held my "new little one" at the shelter she did that to me....that's what won me over and i HAD to have her it's def. a sign of affection
The Following User Says Thank You to kittymom24 For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-27-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Bored
Pheobe Treats is on a distinguished road

She is only soothing herself because she is so young it is probably comforting for her and is no different than a human baby sucking on a pacifier she will grow out of it.

Good luck and enjoy your new little kitty.
Bless you for rescuing her.
Unread 10-03-2010   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

catspaw1955 is on a distinguished road

that is a sign they are nursing, cats often do that or they knead on you or your clothing. it is perfectly normal

Tags
adopted , art , baby , bite , bites , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , children , cute , fight , food , fun , great , hey , hurt , joy , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , nose , personality , pet , play , playing , shelter , small

Sponsored Cat Links