It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

bigblackcat is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Grumpy Cat

I have had my cat charlie since he was a kitten, he is now about 4 1/2 years old.

As a kitten he was quite lively and like most kittens i have had there was play bitting and scratching. However, now he is older when i stroke him it wont take long before he starts biting and scratching. He will also do this to other people as well, its not in a viscious way.

He wasnt neutered till he was about 3, and someone said that would probably help....but it hasnt!! He is quite a big cat and will eat a lot which i do try to stop. But, now when he is hungry he will jump and attack my legs until i give him some food!!

I have two children, but he tends to be quite tollerant of them, and it is very rare that he will scratch them.

Unlike most cats I have had he will never come and sit on my lap and only shows affection when he wants food.

Has anyone got any ideas?? Also, I was thinking of getting another cat, but I am unsure how he will react. I used to have another cat which was older when he was a kitten, but now he would be the top cat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-16-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I know it's hard when all you want is your cat to be loving and affectionate but unfortunately they are their own person! He might never change his personality but getting a new kitten may give him another outlet for his playfulness. You might have an even grumpier cat on your hands for a while but he will adjust after a while - so I would say it's worth a shot!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

kathie is on a distinguished road

I think your cat needs to socialize more. Socializing with other cats will help a lot in solving behavioral problems like that. Do you take him outside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unread 04-18-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

nikkidee3 is on a distinguished road

Is he bored maybe? My cat got a bit grumpy when he was bored. He had plenty of play toys - too many! although i gave him lots of cuddles and attention, he wanted someone to play with him as well. Now i rotate his toys, so he only has about 2 or 3 out at a time. And i engage in play with him. His favourite thing is to hide in an empty beer carton while i dangle things over the edge, He then has to get the object. It was like i wasnt helping fulfill his natural hunt instinct and was getting bored and grumpy. I dont know if it will help your baby though.

I do like the idea of getting another kitty too, if you have room for it and can afford it. Cats are social animals so having another kitty around may help him out of his funk.

Good luck and let us know how he goes

whiskas.com.au/CatProfile.aspx?id=24964
Unread 04-19-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

bigblackcat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies! He does go out whenever he wants to, which is normally quite a bit during the day! I have a big garden and live in a quiet area, he also does hunt. I do not have any toys for him because I have got him toys before, but he has not been interested them.

I'm glad you all agree that another cat would be a good idea. I do prefer to have rescue cats, because there are plenty that need a home (most are not kittens though). Do you think a kitten or a slightly older would be better?
Unread 04-21-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

nikkidee3 is on a distinguished road

You could argue for getting a cat or a kitten:

Kitten - they would be young enough to adjust to living with another older cat. Having a kitten may give your cat a second wind so to speak and make him a bit more energetic etc.

Cat - you're giving a home to someone that really needs it - its no secret that when most people are adopting they will go for the cute little fluff ball thats full of energy. Older cats arent so easily adopted and really need a home!

If it was me, i would go for the older cat, maybe one about 2 or 3 .... I would ask the shelter about their history so you could try and get a cat that is used to having other animals around so it doesn't freak out as much. And of course there is heaps of advice on here about introducing new cats to the fold so i would definitely have a look at that too!

whiskas.com.au/CatProfile.aspx?id=24964
Unread 04-22-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

I would NOT get another cat. Introducing another cat into the household would be VERY stressful for him. Cats do not meet strangers easily. It can take months for tempers to stop flaring up and for the older cat to stop snapping at the new cat.

My advice is to stop letting him go outside. Not only is it pretty dangerous to let cats go outside on their own (their average lifespan is half that of cats who are indoor-only), but it also allows him to spend more "alone" time and less time with his family.

Buy him more toys and play with him. Pet him and brush him if he will allow it. I have a 7 1/2 year old kitty who is like a child to me (lol) but she will still bite me if she has decided I've been brushing her too long. This is the same cat who will crawl under the covers at night and lick my hand lovingly (*rolls eyes*).

Basically, you want him to get to like and love you more, so the answer is to spend more time with him.

FYI: I got a second cat for my Bastet, and she hated Nefrit on sight. Then passed 4-5 months of constant spitting and clawing and hiding. They finally tolerate and even like one another, but Bastet has never been the same.
and now
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Unread 04-25-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheerful
tigger481971 is on a distinguished road

The first thing I would do would be to stop cuddeling him immediately once he uses his claws. I can imagine that it's hard, but don't feed him when he wants it. Wait till he stops beggin and then feed him. He can see that his way works on you that's why he's doing it. Play more with him, but show him that you are the boss in your house. If he's scratching...stop playing.
You could try to get him a friend. It might work, but there is a 50/50 chance that it doesn't. When I got Kasimir and Lulu in August last year I went through hell here for 6 months. It felt like ages till Mimi finally accepted them here in our home. Anyway...first I would start changing my attitude towards the cat. If that doesn't work, maybe a second cat would help. If you go for a second one, take one the same age. Then they can play the same games. Taking a kitten doen't help I think because the age difference is too big.

Tags
affectionate , another cat , art , attack , baby , bite , biting , car , cat , cat answers , cat needs , cat questions , cats , children , cute , eyes , food , hey , hiding , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , loving , natural , new cats , new kitten , person , personality , play , playing , problems , rare , rescue , scratching , shelter , social , socialize , stop , toys

Sponsored Cat Links