It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Happy
ninjakitty is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Unanswered: 2 kittens better than 1?...

Hi there! I am a new to the forum and I am hoping to get some advice from the veteran cat lovers out there.

This past weekend I adopted an adorable black kitten that is just short of 3 months old.. She did have a littermate that was bunked with her, but while I was fawning over her..someone decided to adopt her sister. I have to say... she is a very good little kitten. She uses the litter box, eats well, and is very alert. She just started to hunt and pounce on things lol. (including my feet)

My question is... should I have adopted another kitten to be her playmate? Or is she ok by herself? She is the only animal of the house. So far she seems ok... but I just want to make sure she is happy. I have always grown up with dogs and this is actually my first cat. I want to do right by her. Please if you have any tips and/or suggestions for me...don't be shy!! I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1
Smile Two kitty's are better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakitty View Post
Hi there! I am a new to the forum and I am hoping to get some advice from the veteran cat lovers out there.

This past weekend I adopted an adorable black kitten that is just short of 3 months old.. She did have a littermate that was bunked with her, but while I was fawning over her..someone decided to adopt her sister. I have to say... she is a very good little kitten. She uses the litter box, eats well, and is very alert. She just started to hunt and pounce on things lol. (including my feet)

My question is... should I have adopted another kitten to be her playmate? Or is she ok by herself? She is the only animal of the house. So far she seems ok... but I just want to make sure she is happy. I have always grown up with dogs and this is actually my first cat. I want to do right by her. Please if you have any tips and/or suggestions for me...don't be shy!! I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hello ninjakitty and welcome aboard thank you for adopting your kitty. An for your kitten having a playmate yes it is a good idea for little kittens to have after of it's age to play with kitten do get board and depressed when left along so having a playmate of the same age will keep an make your kitten happy when you are away at work and two purrs are aways better than one.

Happy Hippie =^..^=

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” by Mahatma Gandhi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Two are usually better than one, more to keep themselves busy and active with and not so alone when you're not there. I don't know that I'd agree with them getting depressed, but I guess it is a possibility.. At any rate, if you do decide to adopt another kitty, make sure you keep an eye on them to make sure they're compatible with each other (as in, not attacking, hissing, avoiding, etc) for about a week, or maybe keep them separated for a bit through a door or wire divider (or something).

Welcome to the forum
Unread 06-19-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Hi I just sent that "test letter" to see if it would print because I just answered your post and it did not print. I guess I'll have to send out test letters every time now because this keeps happening to me lately. It saays I'm not registered when I know I am logged in because it says thank you for logging in AuntKitty. Argggggh!!!!!
Anyway, someone told me that cats need the company of another cat if they are going to be left home all day. I adopted a really cute black kitten in October. Then I stopped at the pet store to buy cat food, kitty litter, litter box, etc, and I happened to see a book called "Kittens for Dummies" I took it home and read it, and, sure enough, it said that kittens should be adopted in pairs, especially if they are going to be home by themselves alot. I then adopted the kitten's sister a couple of days later and it was a really good decision. They play together, sleep snuggled up against each other and keep each other company. So, yes I think it would be a really good idea to get a second one. But, like Happyhippie said, keep them separated at first and don't let them be alone together until you are confident they are used to each oher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
adopted , adorable , advice , age , animal , another cat , attacking , black , black kitten , box , cat , cat answers , cat lovers , cat questions , cats , color , depressed , dogs , eye , happy , hey , hissing , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter box , lovers , play , pounce , question , suggestions , tips

Sponsored Cat Links