It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-14-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Bilbo is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Vicious kitten

Our kitten is grabbing us hard round the leg & arms & hands un fact anywhere he can get a grip, digging his claws in & biting so hard it bleeds. We have told him no, pushed him away, put him out of the room even but he still does it. Please help im at my wits end as my OH says if it doesnt stop, kitten has to go to the pound
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-14-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have a lot of time at the moment and will reply with training tips in more detail later, but didn't want to leave you hanging.

Your kitten is not vicious. He is simply treating you like a litter mate and behaving like a normal kitten, but don't despair, training is possible.

How old is he and what is his history?

Is getting another kitten an option? Two is better than one with rambunctious kittens, preferably one slightly older than this one.

But I'll be back in later this afternoon to offer more tips.

Hang in there, there is hope!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-16-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

How old is he and what is his history?

He is 12 weeks old and we got him from the Cat and Dogs Home. He was there with his brothers and sisters

Is getting another kitten an option? Two is better than one with rambunctious kittens, preferably one slightly older than this one.

[COLOR="Green"No, definitely not. My OH would throw us all out if we got another cat, he wanted a dog but me and the kids wanted a kitten. Wish now we had listened to him as this kitten is like something from the wild.

He has us torn to pieces and our 6 year old is petrified to go anywhere near to the kitten. Bilbo [kitten] chased our 6 year old up the hall gripped him round his ankle and bit hard enough to draw blood this evening. I think he knows the child is scared of him. My OH will go balistic, he is working nights at the minute. I really cant see this kitten being here this time tomorrow[/COLOR]
Unread 07-17-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Please don't give the kitten up. Acerit it right--two kittens are better than one. I know that sounds hard to understand at the moment but it is true. Kittens keep each other company and teach each other social skills. It is also true that this is normal kitten behavior. They run after each other and play by biting each other. When they get too rough the other kitten will hiss and slap the other one in the face with the paw. This is how they learn. I got two 8-week-old kittens, brother and sister at the same time. They play the way you describe. If they bit me too hard I would look them in the eye and hiss at them which would make them run away. Eventually they learned and they now are the sweetest most affectionate cats. I am sorry she drew blood on your 5-year old, but your child may have been running from the kitten which would make the kitten run after and play with the child who the kitten probably thinks is another cat who wants to play. The kitten is NOT VICIOUS--please understand. When a person has a baby who cries all the time and acs out you wouldn't think of getting rid of the baby, you would find methods of decreasing the negative behavior. Well when someone gets a kitten, they call it their furrever cat because they took on the responsivle forever like one would do with their baby. And if your OH is going to dictate to you that you can't help matters by getting another kitten or he will throw everyone out, then maybe you are not meant for each other. Forgive me if I sound harsh, but how would you like it if you were a little baby kitten and someone took you home and then dropped you off at the pound to be killed--yes KILLED. That is what happens to most of the animals that go to pounds, also known as kill shelter!!!!!! If you bring your kitten to the pound you should know that you are responsible for its probable death.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 07-17-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

After a huge row [to end all rows] we now have a dog. I definitely didnt want the work of a kitten and a dog but have ended up with both.

We are getting some respite from the bites and scratches, the dog keeps the cat busy, he is too quick to get bitten or scratched but I hate the way the dog is jumping on the furniture to chase the cat.

I think me and the kids will leave home
Unread 07-20-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Thank you for not getting rid of the kitten. You are going to need a tall STURDY scratching post made of siisal fiber. Cats need to scratch and they don't like those pretty, soft scratching posts. I learned the hard way on that issue. It has to be sturdy because if it topples while the cat is using it, he will get scared and avoid it in the future. Also, kittens and cats need toys to keep them occupied. They especially like feathers that are attached to a string which is attached to something that looks like a fishing pole. They need someone to play with them for about l5 minutes every single evening. This tires them out and they will sleep all night. Otherwise they probably will be up all night playing bite-the-toes-under-the blankets with you when YOU'RE trying to sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 07-24-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

It has loads of toys and a scratching post, things are better since we moved the cat and dog outside. The dog has a dog house and run attached to it and the cat has a bed in the shed. We have a high fence so the cat cant get out.

They get time in the house at different times of the day but I couldnt tolerate the way they were taking over the house and wrecking everything. I dont know how others cope with animals inside all the time.
Unread 07-24-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Why do you even have these pets? Please find them homes where they will be taken care of and treated properly.

We live with our animals because we take the time to train them and teach them how to live with us. In return we get unconditional love, companionship, pleasure, joy, laughter and comfort. Now you are depriving these two innocent animals the opportunity to have any of that.

Cats and dogs both are social creatures and need companionship. It is cruel to leave them outside to fend for themselves like this, and they will never learn how to behave in the house, or become socialized.

Please, find decent homes for the kitten and the dog, as you clearly do not want them. Why should they be punished for that?
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
kat
Unread 02-24-2011   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Crappy
kimmer is on a distinguished road
Default Aunt Kitty

I have looked every where on the net to figure out how to calm my crazy kitten. His name is Willy. We adopted him from the animal shelter a few days before Christmas. Unfortunately when we got him he was very ill, he had kitty cough. I was on the phone every day for a week with the shelter begging them to see him, I thought for sure the little guy was going to die.

He finally started feeling better about 2 weeks after we brought him home. From that day forward he has terrorized us. He first just started attacking our feet. But now he is literally jumping from the floor up to my neck and grabbing on.

I have a pretty big recliner in the living room and this morning he jumped completely over the back onto my head, claws in the scalp! He loves to hide right by the side and just leap right onto me, usually at my neck.

When he first started doing this is was just our feet. Now though he is jumping and grabbing hold on my thighs, butt, and upper body. I have tried absolutely everything to calm him down and teach him that he can't do this. I have bought him MANY toys. Very interactive ones. We play with him quite a bit every day as well.

From reading your post and a few others around the net it appears that the only two things that might calm him down are age and getting another kitten/cat.

Where we currently live we are only allowed one pet. I had wanted to get two because I knew that was best. We are moving in a couple of months so hopefully we can survive until then.

I am glad it is still winter though, there is NO WAY I could put a pair of shorts on right now with the way my legs look.

Thanks for your great post. I can tell you are a huge cat lover. I am too. People completely freak out when I tell them we used to have 13 cats. Loved them all and miss them terribly.
Unread 03-18-2011   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Amused
Yvohcna is on a distinguished road

Just the fact that you are posting here and asking for advice shows how much you really want to help this kitten. I have had some past experience with a kitten that sounds a lot like yours. My feet and hands were bleeding all the time and I had to just wear shoes and long pants in the house to protect myself. Just to control the kitten, I had to catch him in a towel and wrap him quickly so he wouldn't hurt me or himself. He was not able to calm himself otherwise. You might want to make sure you get it thoroughly checked for medical issues in addition to using behavioural intervention strategies. The one I was taking care of was misbehaving aggressively due to serious health problems. They say that most cats who misbehave are really just expressing distress the only way they know: medical, psychological. Good luck with your kitty.

Tags
affectionate , another cat , attacking , baby , behavior , bite , bites , biting , brother and sister , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , claws , collar , color , crazy , dog , dogs , eye , eyes , fiber , furniture , hey , hiding , hiss , home , huge cat , hurt , kitten , kittens , laser , litter , mat , medical , moving , paw , person , play , playing , problems , scared , scratching , scream , shelter , shoes , social , stop , tips , training , wild

Sponsored Cat Links