It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-03-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
courtney&griffin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin
Talking Unanswered: Getting a friend for my kitty

Alright,

So I've been browsing the shelters, & I think I'm going to get my Griffy a buddy. He and my ex-room mates dog got along great. From the time he was born, he's always had someone with him throughout the day. Now, being that I'll be living alone, he'll be home for 8 hours a day all alone. It's not fair to him, but it's inevitable. So, I'm thinking that I'm going to adopt him a buddy. I would like to get an older cat, around 5-7 years old. Usually, kittens are adopted quick, but older cats tend to sit in shelters for months on end. There's nothing wrong with older cats at all, & I believe they deserve a chance at happiness I'm going by the shelter tonight. Apparently they're over stocked with cats at the moment and are running dangerously low on food. Also, the adoption fee has been waived and all that's needed to take a cat is a donation of any kind. There's a Fire point Siamese mix, 7 years of age there. He's GORGEOUS. I'm going to make a trip there this evening to look at all the options. I will also be taking a large bag of cat food to help them out, poor little things.

Anything I should know about introducing my only cat to another?

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
something he can learn in no other way."
- Mark Twain
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Ooh I love fire points. They're soooo beautiful. And good on you for wanting a shelter kitty, and an older kitty at that! Such a great thing!

Now for your question... I know Acerlt will have some to say on this matter but I'll give it a shot.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but how old is Griffy? Minimums to begin with is to keep them separated (new kitty in his own isolated room if possible) for a couple days so they can get used to each others scents without actually meeting face to face. Then after a while, switch this arrangement, giving the new cat run of the place for a day or so while Griffy is isolated. After that, closely supervised introductions can begin.. This is one method I have seen posted around here: Rub both cats down with a single towel. . This gives both cats both scents, so they associate the other cat's scent with their own after a bit. Also, Feliway plug-in diffusers are probably a good idea.
Unread 08-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin

Thank you!

Griffin is almost 7 months old. He usually takes about 2-3 days to warm up to any animal. He's been raised with a rabbit, and oddly he gets along great with him also.

A friend suggested I take Griffin to the shelter, but I'd rather not. Shelter animals sometimes are sick and I don't want him catching anything.

I think he'll be alright with an older cat to pal around with. He's neutered so he's not as crazy as he used to be.

And yes, Fire points are so pretty. He's a mix though, so he's got the coloration everywhere but his face and he's HUGE! His head looks like it could be the same size as mine.

Here's his story:

"My name is Sweetie Pie and unfortunately I am back here once again at the Adams County SPCA. I first came here as a stray a few months ago and the staff was very excited to find out that I was microchipped - something that happens only rarely in the cats. Their excitement didn't last long though when they called my former "owners" who said that they didn't want me back. They told the staff that they had gotten me from a rescue even and now I was just being cast aside without another thought. They also claimed that I didn't get along with other cats, which turned out to be sooo untrue! I am a flame point Siamese mix about 7 years old, already neutered and of course, microchipped. I am a super friendly and laid back guy and I get along quite well with other cats. I did get adopted from here and now after only a few weeks - I am once again sitting in a cage. I just don't get it. I know that I am a good boy, if only someone else could see that too!"

- Mark Twain
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Aww... I see stories like the above all too often.. I'm a shelter volunteer, by the way, so your looking for a shelter cat makes me that much happier. As far as bringing Griff to the shelter, I agree with you in that it's not a good idea lol... Plus many shelters won't even let you do it.

But yeah, 7 months? I think he'll be just fine with a new kitty coming in. It'll be mostly on the 7 year old to get used to having Griff, lol.
Unread 08-03-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah. His story made me so sad How someone could just let a cat out and not even care is beyond me. I could NEVER do that. There's another cat there that was abandoned. His family moved out of their apartment and just left him there in it. No food, no water, nothing.

If you could do that to an animal, you could do that to a person and I personally thing the former residents should be penalized.

I've recently filled out a volunteer application for that shelter. I'll be moving closer to it in a couple weeks. I volunteered at the MDSPCA for a bit, but being that I'm moving, I won't be able to make the commute.

- Mark Twain
Unread 08-04-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

How exciting!!

Brandon has given you good advice. Did the shelter say why he was returned after the adoption?

Make an appointment with your own vet, and get him checked out before any interaction with Griffin.

Definitely do the towel trick, in fact you can start that right now. Rub the towel all over Griffin, then go visit the new boy and rub the towel all over him, bring the towel back for Griffin to smell, etc. When new kitty comes home, use two towels for the smell exchanges, then put one towel under each cat's dish so they associate the other cat's smell with good things.

The shelter kitty won't really smell like himself for a few days, he will smell more of shelter than anything. So continue the towel smell exchanges daily while they are separated.

Install a feliway plug in diffuser (or two, depending on how big or small your apartment is)

You should have at least three litter boxes for two cats.

Make sure there is plenty of elevated space for the cats to get to, so they can observe one another from up high.

Once integration begins, supervised only until you know how they are getting along.

You may be lucky, but keep in mind that cats can take several months to adjust to a new cat in the house, so if it doesn't go great at first, don't despair.

Can't wait to hear more!

PS Has he told you his name yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-04-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

His name is sweetie pie. Apparently he doesn't know it at all. My cat's known his name for about a month now. Took him a bit I guess because cats usually don't come when called & what not.

I'll probably change it. I'm not sure to what yet though. Any suggestions?

There he is, as sweet as can be

I did ask why he'd been returned. Apparently, his owners expected him to be more active because that's how he was for a couple days after they brought him home. They decided to bring him back to the shelter since he was no longer the "perfect pet" they'd been looking for. They assume that he was checking things out & once he got comfortable, he became less "active".

What exactly is a felliway diffuser?

- Mark Twain
Unread 08-04-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You want active get a kitten in this case I'd say nothing at all if you're that willing to just give him back up

That wasn't to you c&g, lol.

Basically, a Feliway diffuser is a plug-in much like plug-in air fresheners, except it emits the same pheromones a cat does when he rubs his face or paws on something. This in effect calms the cat in your environment because having the diffuser makes it seem to him like he's already marked your house as "safe".

I know there's a little more to it than that but I think those are the basics.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK49BWL For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-04-2010   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Exactly. But then again, I don't think they always realize what they're getting into when they get a kitten. They think they'll be hyper and all that jazz for the duration of their life and that's not true. Which is a big part of why I think alot of them are dumped outside or at shelters. Cat's slow down after a bit. They become more laid back. Just the way it is. I've been around cats my whole life, I know that.

All I'm asking for is a companion for Griffin, a life long friend for myself, & another buddy to keep me warm at night. He doesn't have to jump on my lap everytime I sit down, but it doesn't mean I won't play with him and love on him, yah know?

It really breaks my heart to know that majority of the cats over a year or two old will be looked right over & euthanised because people are so dumb. That's part of the reason that I'm looking for an older cat. I know kittens have more of a chance at being adopted, and even a 3 year old cat has more of a chance than an 8 year old cat. What people don't realize, is that cats live a long time. They can live for like 20 years. At 8 or even 10 years old they still have so much ahead of them.

Done talking about that, makes me sad.

On a lighter note, any name suggestions?

- Mark Twain
Unread 08-04-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hmmm... The first name that popped into my head when I saw him was Roger... Not sure why; Roger was a 5 month old cat I fell head over heels for back in April last year and haven't seen since July. I'm having a hard time thinking any other names, I just woke up not too long ago to my brother telling me my truck's windows were down and it's raining out, lol..... Mind's not working too well yet

Tags
adopted , adoption , age , animal , another cat , apartment , beautiful , blue eyes , boy , care , cat , cat answers , cat food , cat questions , catching , cats , crazy , cut , dog , environment , eye , eyes , fire , food , friendly , great , hey , home , integrating , jazz , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , male , mat , moving , new cat , new home , opinion , play , problems , question , shelter , shelters , siamese , small , stories , story , stray , worry

Sponsored Cat Links