It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Zipfelmuetze is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Stinky Cat Poo

When Moses uses the bathroom I can smell it from anywhere in my apartment. I have a two bedroom. His litter tray is in the living room.
Is it normal for his feces to smell so strongly? I know cat feces smells pretty bad, but the fact that I can smell it from so far away impresses me.

I use Tidy Cats, so as soon as he covers it up the feces don't smell anymore.
Once I scoop the feces out of the litter tray I throw them in my trashcan and they will stink up the whole trashcan. Every time I open it it smells horrid.
I've considered flushing the feces down the toilet instead.

What do you guys do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

You can't flush cat litter down the toilet, its not good for the septic or the sewer or the pipes.

Yes, poop does stink, and some cats' stinks worse than others.

What are you feeding Moses? Has he been de-wormed?

Don't throw loose poop in the trash. I use cheap plastic baggies (the kind that seal) and doubled up plastic grocery bags.

The poop I scoop into the baggies, seal it closed and put it in the doubled plastic grocery bag, which is what I scoop the pee into. I keep the inner bag tied closed and the bag is kept in a covered stainless steel pot I don't use to cook in any more.

When the bag is about half full and getting heavy I take it out to my outside covered trash barrel.

When I dump and scrub litter boxes every week, I also scrub the stainless steel container to remove lingering odors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-05-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Moses gets Taste of the Wild dry food and Blue Buffalo wet food (mostly chicken and turkey but sometimes tuna).

I wipe out his litter box when I change the litter. I haven't been keeping track on how often I actually change the litter since I just look at it to see if it seems too dirty. I'm thinking it might be every two weeks. Is that too long of a wait to change the litter?

Also, what do you think of the Wellness brand?
Unread 09-05-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I scoop cat poo into small plastic bags, tie them then put it into a grocery bag then tie that and put it in the bin outside. The litter trays are near the back door and the outside bin is just outside the door so it's easy, I understand that it wouldn't be so easy if I had further to walk!
I have a friend who swears by scented 'nappy bags' she gets from the pound store!

I think it depends on circumstances how often to change it, I change the litter fully twice a week but my cats are both indoors cats so the litter trays are used all the time.

Last edited by hallan; 09-05-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 09-05-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I have four cats and four litter boxes. Normally I have one per cat plus one, but this is working out okay, Queen Eva has been here three weeks, exactly.

I scoop multiple times a day and dump and scrub every week. I have two sets of litter boxes, so while I'm washing one set, I put down the other. This gives the boxes time to air out between uses.

Sunday is the day I do these things, actually, the same day I clean my own bathroom and change the sheets on the bed.
Unread 09-12-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sad
toria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipfelmuetze View Post
Moses gets Taste of the Wild dry food and Blue Buffalo wet food (mostly chicken and turkey but sometimes tuna).

I wipe out his litter box when I change the litter. I haven't been keeping track on how often I actually change the litter since I just look at it to see if it seems too dirty. I'm thinking it might be every two weeks. Is that too long of a wait to change the litter?

Also, what do you think of the Wellness brand?

Every 2 weeks?
I change the tray every 2-3 days...maybe thats why the smell is lingering in the flat...i would definatly be changing it much more often than once a fortnight.
The type of food you feed can also make the difference in the smell...i used to feed mine whiskas & the smell when he pooped nearly knocked me out,ive now changed to wellbeloved & i can honestly say i never smell his poop ever now.
Unread 09-14-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

kittymom24 is on a distinguished road

Personally I like the new Arm & Hammer Dual Action (but also keeping a few regular (not the ones with lighter fluid on them) charcoal briquettes in a bowl near the litter box helps absorb odor as well.

Has Moses been dewormed and/or had a fecal test? This can also be a cause of terrible "poop odor."
Unread 09-14-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

He's been dewormed. I purchased some Johnny Cat to give that a try.

Tags
apartment , box , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , changed , clean , dry , dry food , food , fur , hey , litter , litter box , litter boxes , night , pee , poo , poop , queen , small , smell , test , turkey , type , wet food , wild

Sponsored Cat Links