It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-09-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

bekki1 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Really need help

I have just been given an 8 month old cat. She used to live in the city, and was let out a little bit. I am living in the countryside with a quarry near me, and there is a barn next to me were some wild cats live. I am very worried about letting her out, and don't know if keeping her in is the best option. I've thought of many ways round it such as walking her on a leash so that she gets a bit of fresh air, just letting her out but keeping an eye on her. I have had her 2 days now, and don't know how long she needs in the house before letting her out if that is the best option. I have looked on the internet at so many indoor/ outdoor comments, and really needs help from someone that knows or has been in a similar situation. Please someone help as i am pulling my hair out on what to do. Would rerally appreciate answers :
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome! And congratulations on your new kitty!

My advice with strange cats around of unknown health status is to never ever let her out.

That being said, there are alternatives to letting her roam free, but I would not recommend acting on any just yet. It can take about six weeks for a cat to feel acclimated in a spatial sense, to a new place.

Many cats live long happy healthy safe lives inside. The key is to provide plenty of mental and physical stimulation, give her a cat tree or a high book case for perching and climbing, put a bird feeder outside a window for Cat TV.

However thinking about those stray cats, maybe a bird feeder isn;t such a good idea. They would turn your bird feeder into a cafeteria.

Once she is well settled into your home, and well bonded with you (several months at least) you could start thinking about ways to offer her some outside time.

If you live where the winters are cold, you'll have thwe whole winter to train and plan!

Some options are: build an outdoor cat safe enclosure. This is good for a couple of reasons. She can go out, but be safe. And those stray cats cannot get into the place where she goes out.

Harness train her and take her out for walks, or, if you have a fenced yard, take her out in yard and let her explore while you watch her. Never EVER tether a cat.

My cats are harness trained and I take them out into a fenced yard. I never leave them out there alone, but they are free to wander the fenced area (not huge, about 10 x 20 feet) while I putter in the gardens or read, sitting in a chair.

They don't beg to go out other times, and they come in when I say it's time to come in.

What's her name? I look forward to hearing more about her.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-10-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

bekki1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply. It really helped. I have just been out to buy her a harness, so if you have any harness training tips, they would be very much appreciated. She really does not like it yet! Bless her. Her name is Kaydee, the lady before named her after her 2 children, Kaine and danielle.
Unread 09-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

soljet is on a distinguished road

Get yourself a catdoor, so she can make a quick retreet. And trust her.
Unread 09-25-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekki1 View Post
Thank you for your reply. It really helped. I have just been out to buy her a harness, so if you have any harness training tips, they would be very much appreciated. She really does not like it yet! Bless her. Her name is Kaydee, the lady before named her after her 2 children, Kaine and danielle.
I'm sorry I never got back to you on this. How is Kaydee doing?

To train a cat to the harness, I started by leaving the harnesses lying around the house until they became familiar objects. for a week or two.

Then I begin draping the harness over the cat, so cat identifies harness as his/her own, and gets used to feeling it on him or her..

After a few more days I put the harness on kitty then take it off again, each time leaving it on a little longer. If kitty freaks out the first time, take it right off again. Kitty may just lie down and refuse to move the first few times. Treats can be used for pleasant associations.

Oh, first I practiced putting the harness on and off a stuffed animal cat, until I could do it quickly. My hands don't work too well at the best of times and practice made it a little easier to manage on a live cat.

Once I am sure the cat is comfortable in the harness I attach the "string" to it, and let kitty get used to feeling the drag.

When I am sure kitty is comfortable with it all, I introduce the outside.

One caution, never tether a cat on a leash. She could hurt himself very badly if something was to come by and scare him , or worse, if he couldn't get away at all.

Always be there with her and hold onto her leash, or if you have a fenced yard let her drag it behind her.

Another option is an outdoor cat enclosure. There are kits you can buy, or build your own.
Unread 09-28-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

That's definitely true what Acerlt said about tethering a cat (leaving the cat tied up unsupervised) I always stay out with my cats when they are tied up. On the weekends we have a routine of going out front. I sit on the front stoop and the cats are tied up and they can watch things and explore. Then I take them for a walk. Anyway, when I first tied them up to a 10-foot "string", I went in the houst for only a few seconds, and one of my cats had jumped over the fenct--only the "string" wasn't long enough for him to reach the ground and he was hanging gasping for air. Thank God it was only a few seconds or he would have been dead and it would have been all my fault. I made sure NEVER< even for a few seconds, leave a cat tied up unsupervised. I have a clothesline where one end is attached to the back of my house and the other end is all the way at the rear of my yard. I put a "string on the clothesline "about 10feet ) and the cats can run back and forth the length of the backyard exploring--but only when I am out with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
advice , animal , book , cafe , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , children , cold , eye , free , happy , health , healthy , hey , home , house , hurt , indoor , inside or outside , internet , kai , kitty , needs help , outdoor , stray , tips , training , wild , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links