It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-10-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

eileenw41 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Help

My 8 year old cat has started urinating in different rooms. any advice?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-11-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

faybio is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

An illness is possible, and an exam is a good idea.

Have you recently moved?

Any new pets in the house?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to faybio For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-11-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Litter box avoidance is almost always health related. S/he probably has a urinary tract infection.

UTIs are very painful. S/he blames the box for her/his pain, so pees elsewhere trying to get away from it. If it goes on too long you will find that s/he will seek you out and pee right in front of you, staring at you, this is the only way s/he has to tell you that s/he is sick.

Please do get her to the vet right away. The vet will do a urinalysis to check for bacteria and crystals. If the vet thinks it is necessary (like if crystals are observed) a urine sample will be sent out to a lab for a culture, which takes a bit longer and is more expensive.

The culture is important, because if she is forming crystals in her urine, you need to know what kind. Crystals are not treated with antibiotics, they require special diet.

A bacterial infection will be treated with antibiotics.

You don't say if this is a female or male cat. If your cat is male, this is a very serious life or death issue. Male cats have a narrow urethra and can block very quickly and suddenly. Once blocked a male cat will die within 24 hours if he does not receive emergency veterinary treatment, and it is a terrible painful way to die.

A female cat is less likely to block, however you still don't want to put it off as she must be very uncomfortable, and left untreated the infection will eventually affect the kidneys.

Once your kitty is getting treatment you will need to clean all spots with a special enzymatic cleaner to remove all trace of odor. Regular cleaners do not work for this. Even if you can't smell it s/he will be able to.

UTIs/crystals in cats can be caused by many things. Stress, dirty litter boxes, being overweight, washing too much "down there", poor diet (such as an all dry food diet) are just a few of the causes.

Some cats are just prone to it. My Mazy cat has FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) She has to eat a special diet all her life because she forms crystals in her urine.

By the way..I recommend you have a senior blood panel done on your senior kitty too. You want to know what's going on with her organs (especially kidneys and thyroid) sometimes a UTI can be from early stage renal failure.

Welcome to the forum, please keep us updated on your kitty.

Last edited by acerlt; 10-11-2010 at 06:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-11-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Feline Supplement is on a distinguished road

Has there been a change in food or over all diet? Sounds like a UTI has set in. If you want a good read you can check out my site based are feline aliments and supplements felinesupplement.com I would take your furry little friend to the Vet and make sure its not some thing a bit more serouis to be on the safe side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Feline Supplement For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-15-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

eileenw41 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice. I have been to the vet and there is no sign of infection. He thinks it may be anxiety and I am trying behavioural techniques but worry about upseting him more.
Unread 10-15-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Did your vet take a urine sample for urinalysis and culture? Was blood work done to check kidney and thyroid function?

What kind of "behavioral techniques"? I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

If it is stress related the next thing to do of course is to figure out what is causing stress. Have there been any changes in your household? You have to dig deep because something you may not even notice could cause anxiety to a cat.

New pet, a pet gone? new person in your life, one less person? New furniture, or rearranging of furniture? Have you changed your perfume or laundry detergent? Is there a strange animal outside upsetting him?

In addition, installing some feliway plug in diffusers, adding more litter boxes, using Cat Attract brand litter, and putting rescue remedy in his water (or even just rubbing it on his little face) may help.

But I do urge you to be sure all testing, of urine and blood, have been done first.

Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-15-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

If you aare 100% sure there isnothing medically wrongwith your kitty, then try Cat Attract Litter. It wworked like a charm for my kitties when they were pppeeing outside the box and kicking all their litter out of the box and onto the floor. And like Acerlt says, clean all the pee spots with an enzymatic cleaner that you buy in a pet store. Like she says, if you use a regular cleaner you may not smell the urine, but surely your cat will and they will ALWAYS ppee on top of a urine odor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice , animal , antibiotics , anxiety , box , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , changed , clean , diet , dry , dry food , female , food , health , hey , house , infection , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , overweight , pet , senior , sick , smell , stress , uncomfortable , urine , uti , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links