It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Trigi is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Kitty and the potty

I adopted an 8 week old kitten not to long ago, and everything was going good. Then one day she starts peeing in the bathtub. She still poops in her cat box, and I clean it out daily so its not that its dirty. She doesn't have accidents anywhere, she just likes to pee inside the bathtub. Is there something that I should be worried about, or is she just trying to be more... human I guess? Since humans use the toilet. She has seen me peeing in the toilet several times (no matter how I tried to word it it sounded really awkward so yea lol). You know, I would be going to the bathroom and she would just barge in.

I'm just curious as to what you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome to our forum! Yes she could be immitating you. Often cats prefer one box for peeing and one for pooping.

I recommend you give her another litter box. If it continues, you might try using some Cat Attract litter for a while until she gets in the habit of peeing in the boxes.

Congratulations on your new baby! What's her name?

PS...cats are notorious for following their humans into the bathroom. I always get quite a crowd with my four.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Trigi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply!

I named her Bastet, or Bast after the Egyption feline goddess.
Unread 11-08-2012   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

sever is on a distinguished road

Yes, cats love to follow and imitate their owners...For a while I would deny your cat access to the bathroom...at least until the use of the litter box has become habitual...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 01-27-2013   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

I've had a number of cats whose potty problems were solved by giving them a litter pan and a pan of newspaper. They defecate in the litter and urinate in the paper.

Cats I've had who urinated in the bathtub all urinated directly over the drain, making for very easy cleanup. If you don't want your cat urinating in the bathtub simply shut him out of the bathroom & try giving him a pan of newspaper alongside his litter pan.

I had problems with one cat who urinated down the heat vents. I kept him caged for a couple of months. He was clean & regularly used the litter pan while he was caged. When I let him back out of the cage, he has continued using the litter pan.
Unread 01-31-2013   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

janesi87 is on a distinguished road

I think that you should'nt allow your cat to go to the bathroom. Then, you put your cat to the potty. If it pees on other place, punish it. It it pees on the potty, you can give it a rewward. I think that it works
Unread 01-31-2013   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Punishing cats never works. They don't understand punishment, it will only teach them to fear you. If a cat is eliminating in a place s/he should not, it is up to the human to figure out WHY.

First step is a trip to the vet to diagnose and treat or rule out illness.

Other things to consider:

Number of litter boxes: most cats prefer at least two litter boxes. One box per cat plus one more box. Number of boxes should correspond to number of cats. 2 cats=3 boxes. 3 cats=4 boxes, and so on.

Cleanliness of litter boxes. Cats are fastidious animals and do not like to use dirty litter boxes. All pee and poop should be removed daily.

Location of litter box: litter boxes should be in quiet private low traffic areas.

Choice of litter. Most cats dislike litter that has heavy perfumes. Their sense of smell is much stronger than ours. Use an unscented litter. If you are trying something new, do it very slowly, just adding a little of the new kind to the old kind each week so the cat has time to get used to it.

Litter box bullying. In a multi cat home sometimes one cat will prevent another from getting to the litter box. the solution to this is to add another box or two in a different location. The bully can't gaurd two different areas at once.

I repeat: NEVER punish your cat for not using the litter box. If your cat is avoiding the box, there is a reason. Find out what the reason is, and fix it.

please read this first
Unread 02-06-2013   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
J.J. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to J.J.
Hello; I'm Sara I couldn't catch up on ur name?? I think ur cat is used to this particular bathroom. does he go anywhere else?? I think the best way is to stop him from going there keep the doors shut all the time and if I may add u might wanna clean ur bathtub with a different cleaner that has rather a strong smell than usuall.. I did this with my cats Tasha & Daisy, they used to constently pee in the fireplace everyonce and while I cleaned the fire place with Clorox and some how the smell disturbed them and they stoped doing it.. I have to admit it was hard trying to push'em away from the room but it worked. Hope it works with ur cat 2
Unread 02-24-2014   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

aekdb5 is on a distinguished road

years ago, I had 3 inside cats and they all would come to the bathroom as I showered. They would all wait just outside the shower. I called it my morning staff meeting...lol

Tags
adopted , baby , bath , box , bullying , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , clean , defecate , heat , hey , home , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , love , mat , morning , pee , peeing , poop , problems , smell , stop , vet

Sponsored Cat Links