It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-08-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Happy
Royster1984 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Getting Cats To Get Along

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice on my cat situation. I currently have two cats, one male(Chops) one female(Pixie). The male we had since he was young and the female we took in after finding her in bad condition outside our house and nobody coming forward at the vets for her.

Its been our 5 months since we got Pixie the 2nd cat and we dont seem to be making any progress getting them to bond. We try and mix them regularly but it just normally ends in hiss off and the male cat hides under the covers in our bed for the rest of the day.

I am basically looking for some pointers on what i can do to make them get more confortable with each other. I keep getting mixed advice some people saying keep trying to bond them with supervision some people say let them get on with it. I am rather scared to let them just get on with it as i couldnt forgive myself if one of them got injured because of it.

Thanks
Anthony
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-08-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum. Not all cats end up bonding, but five months isn't that long a time.

Don't force them to be together. Let them each do their own thing. Hissing is normal. My Jennie hisses and swears at all the other cats all the time and yet they are all very closely bonded with one another.

I have some questions, if you could answer them to better help me understand your situation.

Are they actually physically fighting? Is one cat bullying the other? Stalking, seeking the other cat out for the purpose of fighting, that sort of thing?

Are they indoor only?

Are they spayed and neutered?

How many litter boxes do you have?

Do you have a cat tree?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-08-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Are they actually physically fighting? Is one cat bullying the other? Stalking, seeking the other cat out for the purpose of fighting, that sort of thing? i dont think so they stare at each other and hiss and sometimes chase each other but changes from time to time who goes for who

Are they indoor only? yeah they are indoor only we live in 3 storie house near a busy road so we decided to keep them indoors as they have alot of room over the 3 floors to mess around.

Are they spayed and neutered? yeh we just got both done around a month ago.

How many litter boxes do you have? We have 2 boxes one in kitchen for chops one in top bedroom for pix but they use each others.

Do you have a cat tree? we dont have a cat tree or know what one is. Would you be so kind as to inform me.

Thanks for the reply its much appreciated
Anthony
Unread 11-09-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

HI again! Okay, this all sounds like pretty normal stuff to me. It takes some time for the hormones to leave their little bodies after the spay and neuter, so they aren't quite their own selves yet.

The hissing and chasing is not really anything to worry about if it is not escalating further, and if neither cat is actually stalking with intent to bully, I would not interfere at this point.

I do recommend you add another litter box. "rule of thumb" is one box per cat plus one.

A cat tree is...a tall thing with perches and cubby holes covered in carpet and sisal, made just for cats.

Like this

This is not mine, I just snipped it off a store site for an example. You can build your own, or buy one, they come in a very wide range of prices and styles.

My recommendation is that you install a couple of feliway plug in diffusers to help with territorial issues, and let them work it out themselves.

More questions:

Where do they sleep? Where do they hang out when you are home? Do you play with them every day?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-10-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

That cat tree looks awesome will invest in one of those and some feliway plug in diffusers.

Where do they sleep?
Chops sleeps in our bedroom in random spots some times on the bed sometimes on his fluffy rug and Pix sleeps upstairs in her hamock in the games room which is her room. We have to keep one cat in a isolation room as we dont dare leave them unsupervised atm so we rotate them every 4-5 hours to let them have a run around.

Where do they hang out when you are home?
They tend to hang out in the front room with me and girlfriend or sleep on sofa in front room.

Do you play with them every day?
Yeah i play with them most of the day even come home in my dinner hour to play with them sometimes.

Thanks for the responses
Unread 11-10-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

If you're not having any problems with them actually physically fighting my advice would be to be patient and allow them to adjust to each other in their own time.
They may never be cuddly with each other but they should be able to get along fine together. They will need to sort some of their own ground rules for themselves.
I have two cats and the first cat (Ripley) didn't like the new imposter in her territory at all at first. Ripley still hisses at Newt on a daily basis after 3 years (like Gail's Jennie she has a terrible potty mouth) but they are bonded.
A lot of times it looks worse than it actually is. My two chase each other, swat each other, often end up rolling round the floor wrestling and sometimes even growl at each other but they've never hurt each other. Just a lot of flying fur!
Please don't be too scared to allow them to start interacting with each other.
If I ever thought that things were getting out of hand with my two I used to throw something noisy on the floor (eg a bunch of keys), the sound would stop them in their tracks.

Tags
advice , art , bullying , carpet , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , female , fighting , fur , games , hey , hiss , hissing , home , house , hurt , indoor , litter , litter box , litter boxes , male , mess , play , problems , scared , sleep , spayed , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links