It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

bleueiz is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Should I let my cat's former owner "kitty sit" in their multicat household?

Hello fellow cat lovers - I have a question. I recently adopted a cat from a couple who had 5 cats (my taking 1) leaving them with 4. The previous owners are concerned that I am leaving the cat alone for a day or two even though I have someone check on him. They would like me to bring him back to their house and they will "kitty sit" and then I can get him when I come back from out of town. I have tried to do research and have found snippets - but I feel uncomfortable bringing him back into his former multicat household esp b/c he was a low man on the totem pole - I think it's too stressful. Please let me know your thoughts - I do not feel he is being neglected in any way possible, yes he may get lonely while I am gone, but it's only a day or two. Any advice is appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-15-2010   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

wow i think its really arrogant for the former owners to be telling you how to look after your cat. I personally would not leave the cat there when you go away, i think it would be much more stressful for your cat to be taken out its environment and be amongst all those other cats where it will probably get bullied all weekend. As long as someone is coming in and feeding/checking on your cat i dont think it will do any harm, and i would also cease contact with the previous owners!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to chooch For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-15-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I agree with Chooch completely. I think it would be AWFUL for that poor kitty to find himself back in a house he's left, and then back to you, way way too much confusion for him.

Not to mention, you run the risk of them refusing to return him to you.

Please do follow through with your plans the way you've already set it up. Your kitty will be much happier at home.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stick around and tell us more about your boy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-17-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

I live in a "cat house!" Our condo on Maui loves cats. They are all inside cats and no one hears them from outside the unit. We get fined if they are seen outside. It works!! And it's wonderful for vacationing cat owners. We trade off kitty sitting, so to speak. Recently I took two trips to the mainland. My good friend and neighbor two doors down came in twice a day to check on Maui's food/water and spent quality time playing with him (with Maui's interactive toys .. "Da Bird" is the favorite). He also came over an extra time or two during the day to play with Maui.

Taking your kitty back into a household that he's been gone from and was low man on the totem pole when he lived there, would not be a good thing for your kitty. He'd have to go through the whole "being accepted" thing again and he might not get a nice reception.

If you have a friend who is a cat lover who can come in at least once a day (if you're gone more than a day) and check food/water and spend some time with your kitty .. playing, cuddling .. that would be great.

You might look for a cat owner friend that you can trade cat sitting when you both go on vacation. That way, kitties from both households can stay in their own home environment.

Cats spend a great deal of their day/night sleeping, so I think he/she would get along fine at home with a friendly visitor on a daily basis!

Aloha .. Nancy On Maui
Unread 11-22-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

bleueiz is on a distinguished road
Default thank you

thank you for all the advice! I do think they are arrogant - I wanted their cat not the cat's former owners. Afterall they did choose to give him away! I will stick to my guns and have my friend come to check in on him. Now - if I can only get them to stop calling me weekly or biweekly and wanting to come and visit him - the email updates & pictures should suffice.
Unread 11-24-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

The former owners are really pushy! For sure, you didn't opt to have them constantly in your life. They did give the kitty away to you. If they wanted so much contact with the kitty, they should have kept it. They're lucky to get e-mail reports and photos. Stick to your guns!

Aloha from Maui Boy's Mom

Tags
adopted , advice , boy , cat , cat answers , cat lovers , cat questions , cat's , cats , environment , food , found , friendly , hey , home , home alone , house , kitty , kitty sitting , lovers , mat , nice , night , photos , pictures , playing , question , sleeping , stop , thoughts , toys , uncomfortable

Sponsored Cat Links