It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-11-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Hawki is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Answered: Sick Kitty

Mistletoe is feeling poorly right now...upper respirtory infection (we think, with the help of an on line vet) She'll be visiting a Vet on Monday....any ideas on how to successfully dose an unwilling cat with a syringe of childrens benedryl? I can only imagine the joys of giving her antibiotics since she's not feeling well enough to eat much of anything. She did drink some 'tuna water' earlier.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Best Answer - Posted by acerlt
I'm not really sure benedryl will do any good, as it is for allergies. If she is not eating I recommend finding an on call vet or an ER vet center. Cats, especially kittens, go downhill very fast if they don't eat.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

But here is my method for medicating cats: It works for pills, liquid, ear drops, eye ointments etc. (I prefer pills over liquid any day for cats)

For pilling, I advise this: use a dot of something soft and wet s/he likes. You can try mayonnaise, yogurt, even a little soft butter or cream cheese. Just a drop will do. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little mayonnaise (or whatever)

Use the holding position. Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

With cat in holding position (as described above), put a dot of the mayo (or whatever) on kitty's mouth to keep her busy and to get the saliva flowing (so the pill doesn't stick).

While kitty is licking her mouth, hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can.

You can let go of her mouth at this point, but keep a hand on her to keep her still while you get another bit of yogurt (or mayo or...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose and mouth. She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. It does take practice. And you have to approach it with confidence, kitty will sense if you are hesitant. But once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. Gel caps go down easier too. Check with vet or pharmacist before using capsules, as a capsule may affect the dissolving time and this may be an issue for some meds.

You can order empty gel caps on line.

ps, the wet treat on nose trick works with ear drops, eye care, anything really,even nail trims! the idea is, 1)she associates the nastiness with something good, and 2) she's so busy licking her nose she forgets about the other stuff.

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-11-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I'm not really sure benedryl will do any good, as it is for allergies. If she is not eating I recommend finding an on call vet or an ER vet center. Cats, especially kittens, go downhill very fast if they don't eat.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

But here is my method for medicating cats: It works for pills, liquid, ear drops, eye ointments etc. (I prefer pills over liquid any day for cats)

For pilling, I advise this: use a dot of something soft and wet s/he likes. You can try mayonnaise, yogurt, even a little soft butter or cream cheese. Just a drop will do. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little mayonnaise (or whatever)

Use the holding position. Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

With cat in holding position (as described above), put a dot of the mayo (or whatever) on kitty's mouth to keep her busy and to get the saliva flowing (so the pill doesn't stick).

While kitty is licking her mouth, hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can.

You can let go of her mouth at this point, but keep a hand on her to keep her still while you get another bit of yogurt (or mayo or...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose and mouth. She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. It does take practice. And you have to approach it with confidence, kitty will sense if you are hesitant. But once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. Gel caps go down easier too. Check with vet or pharmacist before using capsules, as a capsule may affect the dissolving time and this may be an issue for some meds.

You can order empty gel caps on line.

ps, the wet treat on nose trick works with ear drops, eye care, anything really,even nail trims! the idea is, 1)she associates the nastiness with something good, and 2) she's so busy licking her nose she forgets about the other stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-11-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

I wish I had this useful information when I had to give my cat a pill. I tried EVERYTHING (or so I thought--I guess not everything since I did not know about the mayo trick. I tried pill pockets--she ate around the pill--ate the pill pocket and left the pill. I put it into her wet food and she ate the food--but no pill. I tried utting it in her mouth and holding her mouth closed until (I Thought) she either swallowed it or it disolved --then as soon as I let go of her mouth she spit out the pill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 12-11-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I developed this method many years ago. My Baby (rb 1/98 ) had asthma and had to take prednisone. He would fight to the death over getting his pills, until I devised this method.

It takes practice, like anything does, but once you master it, and approach the cat with confidence (NOT apologetic) it's easy!

I forgot to add, always tell the cat what you are doing and why.

please read this first

Tags
allergies , antibiotics , asthma , baby , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , eating , eye , fast , fight , food , hey , infection , kittens , kitty , licking , nose , not eating , pill , pills , sick , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links