It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

xytor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xytor
Default Unanswered: best litterbox material

Hi, I'm going to get a cat soon, but my friend can't stand the smell of cat urine. What is the absolute best material to fill the litterbox and completely remove the urine odors? I don't care if it's expensive as long as it really works well. Being good for the cat/environment is a plus, but no odor is the most important.

Also, advice on the shape/type of litterbox is much appreciated!

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Cat poop and cat pee has odor. The secret to not having a house that smells like a litter box is to keep the litter boxes clean.

Have one more litter box than you have cats (one cat=two litter boxes) and scoop the pee and poop out several times a day.

Cats do not like highly perfumed litter, so whatever you use, use the "fragrance free" version.

Some people like clumping litter, I do not. Other choices are feline pine, or Worlds Best (a corn litter) or swheat (a litter made out of wheat)

I use plain clay litter, and scoop four or five times a day.

However if your friend lives with you, please rethink getting a cat unless this roommate agrees 100 %. It's not fair to bring a cat into a home where at least one person does not want the cat.

Cats know when they are not liked and undesirable behaviors can result. And even if they are good as gold, cats brought into homes where they are not wanted are often dumped on the street, or abused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-05-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-05-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for your reply, acerlt!
My friend likes cats, just not the smell of their urine.
Would the clumping litter help in cleaning the litterbox to prevent it from smelling like urine?
Unread 01-05-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

My friend uses the "Worlds Best" stuff, and it works really well to keep odors down, now that I think about it. But like she said, just keep the box clean and you shouldn't have problems.

I knew Gail would have you answered in better detail
Unread 01-05-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

I dont think anyone likes the smell of cat urine so its not just your friend, he he.. but i have to agree with gail and brandon, i have used many different litters over the years but as long as you change it regularly and scoop out everyday you shouldnt smell any odour.

I put in a full bag of litter, scoop out the poo and pee daily, and completely change the litter every three to four days. everyone has their own way of doing things and you will find out whats best for you when you get your cat!
The Following User Says Thank You to chooch For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-05-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cool
get outa there sook is on a distinguished road

I live in a REALLY small apartment we use Fresh Step {scoopable} and unless you go in the bathroom and actually see the litter box you have no idea its even there. I also cant stannd the smell of cat urine it makes me sick to my stomach, but fresh step hides it all and sook HATES any other brands she actually kicks other brands out of her box.
Unread 01-05-2011   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

I actually don't mind the smell of cat pee myself, but I'm weird
Anyway, thanks for your advice, everyone!
I'll clean the litterbox more than once daily.
As to the litter material, World's Best has two votes so I'll try that one first.
Thanks!
Unread 01-05-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Forgot to answer about box size and shape

I use these:

Large plastic tote boxes, that one is rubbermaid brand, but sterilite makes them too.

I don't advise covered boxes they hold in odors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-06-2011   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

I use some plastic totes too.. I like fresh step scoopable. a friend of mine uses the swheat scoop and I dont care for it, yes its flushable but I dont think it masks the odor well....

Tags
advice , apartment , box , care , cat , cat answers , cat poop , cat questions , cats , clean , cleaning , environment , hey , home , homes , house , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , pee , person , poo , poop , problems , sick , small , smell , type , urine , weird

Sponsored Cat Links