It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mollyg is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: new kitten under the bed

our kitten(Molly G.) was abandoned outside in ohio winter in a box...shelter guesses she is about 12 weeks old...have had her for 5 days...she has her own room but will not come out from under the bed without much coaxing with string...will climb on your lap and be petted (at times) but if you carry her from the room she will immediately bolt back and under the bed...eats and uses the litter box at night...she has never left the room on her own...besides patience, any ideas?...how best to proceed?..how long might we expect this behavior to continue do you think? ...we are sad for her...not much fun under the bed all by herself.....thanks in advance!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-08-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome to the forum! Thank you for rescuing Molly G!

It sounds like she is settling in quite well. Molly G. just needs time to get used to her new surroundings and people. Five days is a very short time.

Let her live in one room for now. Leave the door open so she can venture out if she wants, but don't force it. Let her stay under the bed if she wants.

Enticing her out with a string is fine, but don't reach under and drag her out.

Play with her and give her all the affection she will accept, but don't force yourself on her.

Give her a Box Fort, perhaps she will choose that to hide in instead of under the bed. Get a largish box and turn it on it's side so the flap hangs down, making a Fort.

Give her another box right side up. Cats love cardboard boxes.

Congratulations on your new family member and please keep us posted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-08-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

thank you and will keep you up to date...thanks!!
Unread 01-08-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

Gail the cardboard fort is a great idea...my cats love them better than their cat furniture. Hi and welcome to the forum. Molly is a lucky kitty and its great that u brought her in and saved her. Hopefully with her coming out on her terms she will eventually realize that things are good.
Unread 01-09-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks Terri. Yep I can look around my house and see.....seven cardboard boxes at the moment. Some are permanent Spots, some are transitory boxes, such as if a box comes in the mail, they get to play in it for a while (until I get tired of tripping over it usually). I rotate the Box Forts, though there is always one out.

To the OP, I do hope you'll stick around and share Molly G's growing up with us. It's great fun to watch a kitten grow up in a forum. We have some other babies right now too. My Queen Eva, Jan's Mikey, Lu's Lestat to name a few.

Of course it's just as interesting to hear about and get to know all the other cats too. But with kittens..Every Day is Discovery Day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Unread 01-09-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I will and Molly G. is doing much better today...came out of her room by herself for a while!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mollyg For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-09-2011   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

Thats great news, she is feeling better and more trusting....great job.....
Unread 01-10-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yay! What a BRAVE little girl!

please read this first
Unread 01-10-2011   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Hi and welcome to the cats forum. MollyG is doing just fine it seems!!!!! All cats hide under beds when they first go to a new place. It feels safe for them under the bed. I just adopted two senior cats and put them in my bedroom to keep them separated from my other cats at first, and they both bolted and ran under the bed. They didn't eat or use the litter box when anyone was in the room, they waited until I was sleeiping. When I woke up I would see their food eaten and the litter box was used. Slowly, they came out but when I finally opened my bedroom door, they wouldn't walk past the doorway even though the door ws open. I tried coaxing them out y putting their food a couple feet away, but they would not leave the bedroom. Now, they are all over the house and sleeping on my bed with me. So give MollyG time and she will also adjust.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-12-2011   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cool
Johnny's Amusements is on a distinguished road

Sounds as if kitten is frightened. He should be OK after a couple of weeks.

Tags
behavior , box , cat answers , cat questions , cats , food , fun , fur , furniture , girl , great , hey , house , interesting , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , love , lucky , new kitten , night , pet , play , sad , senior , shelter , sleeping

Sponsored Cat Links