It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-20-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mycatskreech is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Unanswered: My cat is sick

Skreech, my 4 year old DSH hasn't been his normal hyper self today. He has been doing some throwing up, and I believe, do to his actions, he is constipated. What would be the best cure for this besides the pricey Vet visit?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-20-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome to the forum, though I am sorry it is Skreech's illness that has brought you here

When was Skreech's last bowel movement? Has he been able to keep any food down at all? Is he lethargic?

<edit>Since you didn't answer my questions, I will tell you what I think

Why do you think he is constipated? Is he straining in the litter box? He may have a urinary blockage, which is an emergency.

Is he peeing? If you have not seen him pee, then he is probably blocked, and this is an emergency, get him to the vet RIGHT NOW, a male cat once he blocks will die within 24 hours, and it is a terrible painful death...the bladder will burst.

If he is peeing okay read below:

If there is no improvement by tomorrow, meaning no bowel movement and unable to eat and/or keep food down, your Skreech needs to see the vet.

Cats cannot go more than a couple of days without food, their organs begin to shut down.

And if he has a blockage of some sort in his intestine he is probably in pain.

If he is lethargic, this is an emergency.

"Pricey" or not, vet bills are part of pet ownership. The longer you delay when a cat is sick, generally the more costly it will be, because it will take longer for him to get better.

For instance if he has an intestinal blockage, and you get him in right away, the vet may be able to shift him without surgery. If you wait.....and he starts screaming in pain over the weekend.... you have an ER vet fee, and probably emergency surgery.

I don't believe in "wait and see", as you can tell.

Hope Skreech poops tonight and feels better by tomorrow, please let us know how he's doing.

But I repeat, if he is straining in the litter box and he is not peeing, he needs immediate right now veterinary attention. right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-20-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-21-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry that your cat is sick.

But I agree with Gail's post. And if it was my cat, I would go to the vet right away. I also don't like to wait and see. I prefer to rush to the vet if I sense something is wrong with my cat.

I hope your cat is better or that you've taken him to the vet by now. Please give us some news.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Unread 01-22-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 2

Hi. Sorry Screetch isn't feeling well. I know you camteto this forum looking for an alternative to a "pricey vet" and I can understand completely. However, I agree with Gail and Lu. If the kitty is throwing up for more than one day, it is in the best interest of the cat to get checked out. I know you wouldn't want Screetch to die. Please get back to us and let us know what happened. We're all cat lovers and we care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
bills , bladder , bowel , box , care , cat , cat answers , cat lovers , cat questions , color , food , hyper , kitty , litter , litter box , lovers , male , ownership , peeing , pet , sick , surgery , vet , vet bills

Sponsored Cat Links