It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-06-2011   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Another solution would be to put Havoc outside every day, but that also isn't an option
Melissa (and I) both have seen too many kitties flattened by a car or never return home.

Thanks again,
Alex

No, no I'm with you there, I am against cats going out on their own.

Is another young cat an option? I know it's not a decision you would make rashly, but something to think about........?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-06-2011   #12 (permalink)
Newborn

gossamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
No, no I'm with you there, I am against cats going out on their own.

Is another young cat an option? I know it's not a decision you would make rashly, but something to think about........?
I really don't think so. It's just too much for us to take care of right now. We'll have to figure out a way to make this work.

I've put together a basic scratching post with sasal twine from Home Depot. We'll see if she'll take to it or if we'll have to do something else.

I really hate to see Mystic get abused, but there's also no guarantee that it would stop with another cat, or if then both would attack Mystic

Thanks,
Alex
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-07-2011   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Why is Mystic declawed? That's probably why she is such a scaredy-cat--she feels defeneless. Declawing can cause, as Gail mentioned, aggressive behavior, biting, etc. Also having a declawed cat with a cat that is not declawed doesn't sound like such a great idea.
Mystic has always been this way, including the six months prior to her being declawed. Melissa rescued her and four siblings from the middle of the highway in the middle of December, with their mother nowhere to be found.

Quote:
I tried the double-faced tape to sto one of my cats from clawing my wicker hamper and wicker johnny-shelf above the toilet and it worked great. That may work for you too. Also, sometimes putting tin foil down in areas that the cat scratches may help.
This sounds like a good idea, but I can't cover my bed in double-sided tape.

After two days, Havoc doesn't seem to be taking to the sisal rope scratching post, but we'll give it some time.

Thanks again,
Alex
Unread 02-15-2011   #14 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi all,

After a few more weeks of working with Havoc and her problem with scratching everything, and I can say that it might even be getting worse.

She seems to scratch everything _but_ the sisal rope scratching post that I made her for her.

Thankfully she's not scratching the microfiber couch (perhaps she doesn't like the material), but still scratches under the bed, the rug, and chairs.

She knows she's not supposed to do it, because even just turning around or looking at her, and she immediately stops and runs away.

It's got to stop. What's next?

Thanks,
Alex
Unread 02-15-2011   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

<edit> Okay. Don't panic. It can take time to train kitty, and you need consistency.

Please tell me what, exactly, you have been doing, to train her, and I will try to figure out what is missing.

In the mean time, while I'm waiting for your reply here are my immediate thoughts:

As I said in my first post to you, cats vary in what kind of scratching surfaces they like. You need to offer her more choices.

Get cheap rugs and put them under the chair and any where else she scratches on the carpet, and let her scratch on the throw rugs instead. Obviously she likes flat surfaces for scratching. Try the rougher outdoor/indoor mats. 2x3 mats at Home Depot are $2.97 a piece. Try other kinds of cheap throw rugs too.

Give her choices.

You have to give her something she likes.

Block access to under the bed if she is scratching under there.

Get more scratchers, such as the scroll shaped one I showed you.

Get a flat one, too. See if she likes those flat cardboard ones. Get a wide one, not the skinny ones, and take it out of the box, some cats like to scratch the corners and edges of them,

She needs some kind of cat tree or condo to jump and climb on.

She needs more interactive play time with you. What you are describing is a bored cat. Play with her at the same times every day, cats thrive on routine, she needs structured play and vigorous activity.

Keep her nails trimmed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-15-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Unread 02-15-2011   #16 (permalink)
Newborn

Tots mama is on a distinguished road
Default SmartyKat Scratch Not

I was told about this spray by a friend that was pleased with it and I have been using it since. It is a spray that has lemon and eucalyptus oil in it and you spray it on the carpet or sofa where they are scratching. It doesn't stain the fabric and I notice no significant odor (I'm very sensitive to odors). My cats do not scratch anywhere I spray it. I reapply every week. I've been using it about a month. Hopefully they will continue to use their scratching post and I can stop using it.
Unread 02-17-2011   #17 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tots mama View Post
I was told about this spray by a friend that was pleased with it and I have been using it since. It is a spray that has lemon and eucalyptus oil in it and you spray it on the carpet or sofa where they are scratching. It doesn't stain the fabric and I notice no significant odor (I'm very sensitive to odors). My cats do not scratch anywhere I spray it. I reapply every week. I've been using it about a month. Hopefully they will continue to use their scratching post and I can stop using it.
Too bad there wasn't a spray that attracted them to the scratching post, instead of detracting them from the other spots

I'll investigate it though, thanks,

Alex
Unread 02-18-2011   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Too bad there wasn't a spray that attracted them to the scratching post, instead of detracting them from the other spots

Alex
Often there is no easy fix, but you need to offer her MORE choices than one scratching post. As I have said at least twice.

Have you followed any of my advice at all? More choices, extra play time, mats or rugs over the spots she scratches so she uses the throw away mats instead, redirection.

These things take time and consistency, but you aren't going to get results if you don't at least try. Time as in weeks or months before results are seen, but what else do you have but time? There are no quick and easy fixes.

And keep her claws trimmed. You can always try soft paws though I don't consider that a permanent solution, it may help you keep your sanity while you continue to train.

Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats

sorry I didn't think to mention that before. And there is double sided sticky tape too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=14938

the ssscat may keep her away from places you don't want her to scratch in, so she will use her own places, but she needs more choices than one post.

Amazon.com: MultiVet SSSCAT Cat Training Aid: Home & Garden

Cats scratch for several reasons, one of them is territorial, so she needs more than one place to mark her scent with her claws.

Don't give up and have her mutilated, PLEASE.

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-18-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Unread 02-18-2011   #19 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Often there is no easy fix, but you need to offer her MORE choices than one scratching post. As I have said at least twice.

Have you followed any of my advice at all? More choices, extra play time, mats or rugs over the spots she scratches so she uses the throw away mats instead, redirection.
Yes, I just didn't have time to respond to your post previously.

I've done quite a bit. Built another scratching post, making for a total of three now. Played with her incessantly to the point that my whole left arm is scratched to bits

Quote:
These things take time and consistency, but you aren't going to get results if you don't at least try. Time as in weeks or months before results are seen, but what else do you have but time? There are no quick and easy fixes.
I only meant that despite having three scratching posts now, she refuses to use any of them, and continues to scratch the carpet and bed.

I can't block the bed, because it's between the comforter and mattress, not over the mattress (although I covered the whole edges of the mattress with a huge sheet of plastic, taped around all three sides, to no avail), so it's really just not practical.

Just got back from Walmart and they don't have much of a selection of scratching posts or other aids. The ones they do have require refills, and while that may be a solution, I just can't see spending the money for that, then have to vacuum up little bits of cardboard.

Melissa got her something called an Anti-Stress Calming Collar. Know anything about these?

Quote:
And keep her claws trimmed. You can always try soft paws though I don't consider that a permanent solution, it may help you keep your sanity while you continue to train.
Interesting. I'll investigate that too.

Quote:
Don't give up and have her mutilated, PLEASE.
No, I don't think it will come to that. Next we're getting a dog to torture Havoc the same way she tortures Mystic

I'm pretty handy with electronics. Short of the dog, I was thinking about building one of those dog shock collars that I attach to a remote control, and every time she goes near Mystic, Bzzzzttt!

Yes, I'm joking.

Thanks,
Alex
Unread 02-20-2011   #20 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
dollydaft is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Alex
Hello

Dont know if this helps, but a friend of mine, had a very similar problem, she lives in a top flat in Glasgow, with her three children and their one cat, (the cat is called Mia.)

My friend also found a spray, to detract Mia from scratching furniture etc....but Mia still wasnt keen on scratch posts.
Till my friend bought a cat nip spray, all she did, was put a small amount on the post, to get Mia interested, and then gave Mia loads of praise when she saw her use the post.
Now they dont need the cat nip spray anymore, Mia uses her scratch posts.
And the children, aged between three and seven years, no longer complain about Mia destroying their things.

I have two indoor cats, I live in a house, but near a busy road. To keep Molly and Lillian entertained, they have climbers, plus a tall (basic scratch post,) and several other activity and cat toys in various parts of the house. (they have access to all rooms except the bathroom.)
Because they are together, they play together, and keep each other entertained. It took time, but was fairly easy to train them both at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to dollydaft For This Useful Post:

Tags
aggressive , another cat , art , attack , behavior , birth , bite , biting , box , boy , car , carpet , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cat toys , catnip , cats , claws , clean , collar , eyes , fur , furniture , game , guide , hey , home , house , hurt , indoor , internet , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , love , mat , picture , play , playing , scratch , scratching , senior cat , siblings , window

Sponsored Cat Links