It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

FelixandOscar is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Moving to Much Smaller Place

Hi Everyone, I need advice for my two senior citizen Cats. Oscar is 18 yrs old and Felix is 16 yrs old. We live on 2.5 acres and they are free to come in and out as they please. They are allowed inside and out. They stay very close to the house and Felix spends the majority of his time in the garage. We have twin 4 year olds and a 6 year old that he wants nothing to do with. ''

The economy has finally took its toll on us and we are forced to move to a much smaller place and there is no possibility that they will be able to go outside. There is too many houses and a road to near. We live way off of the road off of a shared driveway right now. Anyway, I need suggestions to make this the least stressful for these two guys. I love them and they are family. There is no way I will give them away, but I want them to be happy.
Thanks for any advice that you might be able to share.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-08-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello & welcome to the forum.
I hope the move goes well for you and your family.
I have never been in the situation of having to adjust a cat from being allowed outside to being completely indoor but I do have two indoor cats and know that you will have to provide them with lots of stimulation to prevent boredom.
Are Felix and Oscar playful cats? Do they enjoy playing games with you?
Will your new home have room for Felix to get away from it all and have his own space?
I moved house a few years ago with one of my cats and found it helped to give her a quiet room with lots of familiar things as a 'safe retreat' as she settled in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-08-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome to the forum! There are some things you can do to make the move a little easier on Oscar and Felix.

Try keeping them to one room at first, as Helen suggested. Once they adjust to that gradually allow access to the rest of the house.

Install feliway plug in diffusers to help with stress. Feliway releases pheromones, which is what cats have in their glands, when they mark things as their own by rubbing their faces on things.

Oscar and Felix will need elevated space. Cats can live in smaller spaces, as long as they have enough elevated space. If you've no room for a cat tree, you can install "cat shelves" on a wall. Placed in a stair step pattern this will give them perches, and exercise.

Try to give them, especially Felix, at least one area when they can go to get away from it all. A closet maybe, with access to a shelf, and a cardboard box for a hide away.

They will need things to scratch on too. Tall sturdy posts, or flat, or curved, depending on what they prefer.

Put a bird feeder outside a sunny window so they have something to watch.

As senior cats, the move may cause some stress, and stress can make cats sick. Keep a close eye on them, and make an appointment for a check up for a month or so after the move.

On moving day, put them in their carriers and keep them there. Once you get to the new house, keep them in the carriers until all furniture is moved in, and there is no more coming and going.

You will have to really stay vigilant to prevent doors being left open, or the cats trying to dash out. Double check all windows for security.

Is an outdoor enclosure a possibility?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , eco , eye , family , found , free , fur , furniture , games , happy , hey , home , house , indoor , joy , love , moving , new home , outdoor , playing , scratch , senior , sick , suggestions , window

Sponsored Cat Links