It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-21-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

June is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: HELP!!! I adopted a cat who has been hiding in my closet

from the moment he arrived 4 days ago. He has not eaten, had water, used a litter box.... He hisses at me and threatens to attack. He's wedged into a tight space behind boxes. The "door" to the closet is a curtain. A dish of dry food and water is just inside - untouched. I talk to him, have tried to entice him with chicken livers, I leave him alone because I just seem to freak him out.Can someone please advise????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-21-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

It is perfectly normal for a cat to hide when coming to a new home. They may not eat or drink right away, but the length of time here is of major concern. Liver damage can happen quickly. Get some canned/wet food asap and place it as close as you can. Don't worry about growling or hissing, just get the food in there. Then leave him completely alone for some time to give him a chance to eat.
How old is he and where did you get him from? Find out what he is use to eating and what kind of litter they used. The more things you can make the same the better. As far as the cat knows his whole world has turned upside down and he is scared out of his mind. Cats are very sensitive creatures and stress out easily.
You are a very good person by being so concerned! The cat is acting totally normal, except for taking so long to eat. You could get a few different kinds of wet food, the smellier the better, for a better chance of something tempting him!
Thank you for caring so much about this cat and having the courage to ask for help!! Please keep us updated on how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-21-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

June is on a distinguished road

kskat, I hope this gets to you.. I've been leaving food and water as near to him as I can.
But a couple of hours ago, I realized he'd been peeing in there - very strong urine smell, so I set all his stuff up in my bedroom and attemted to relocate him - Disastrous!!!
He gave me two bad bites through thick leather gloves, was so feral seeming. I feel like I've made a terrible mistake by taking him. I gave up trying to move him and put water and litter box close by. My apartment reeks.
Unread 03-21-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Where did he come from and what is his history? Knowing this will allow us to help you better, it is important to know what kind of baggage a cat is carrying.

As kskat said he is badly frightened. Leave him where he has chosen to be. Keep his litter box in there and I agree with offering him wet smelling canned food. Give him a card board box turned sideways with the flaps hanging down for a place for him to hole up.

Welcome to the forum. Try to stay calm, we will help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-22-2011   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Trying to move him is not what you want to do! He didn't choose the best place, but it's what you are stuck with.
Yes, background is super important. Tell us everything you know. How much experience do you have with cats? He is certainly not the best starter cat, but there is a great chance of being able to create a bond like you might not get with an easy cat!
Please do not give up. He sounds like a cat who might be hard to place and end up being euthanized. He is one tough cookie, but you can do this!

Unread 04-15-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

Id get the adoption people to see if they can drop by and help you move him to an area easier to clean. failing that ask a vet to help if you really cant handle him to pick him up. Theres loads of different types of foodie treats you can try , raw mince, white fish , oily tinned smelly fish, bacon , cheese ... and i swear by uht goats milk they love it. get your phone laptop , books or tv in the same room as the cat and make it a place you spend time in . even if it doesnt come out it will be watching you. nice smells help, and make lots of gentle cooey noises , It will soon find your voice soothing when hes frightened. This stage is a bit like fishing, you just leave the bait out and wait ! when he first begins to interact dont try to touch too much and when you do very lightly. Rather than fuss him Id play very gently , with a stick with string at the end or just a string or something. Also catnip can be a miracle cure! good luck

Tags
adopted , age , apartment , attack , bites , box , calm , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , clean , dry , dry food , eating , feral , food , great , growling , hey , hiding , hissing , home , litter , litter box , mistake , new home , peeing , person , play , raw , scared , smell , stress , urine , water , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links