It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2011   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

good things for play:

* boxes - with holes in the side is good

*hanging bits of ribbon/ string

*make a scratch post/ cat tree

* paper bags , tubes and tunnels ( can roll up a peice of card to make a tunnel)

* a fish or mouse in a secure tank with a perch so kitty can look in

* Teddy bears and soft toys (furry, no choking hazards)

* things to climb (move furniture around so it can climb up high)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2011   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompett View Post
good things for play:

* boxes - with holes in the side is good

*hanging bits of ribbon/ string

*make a scratch post/ cat tree

* paper bags , tubes and tunnels ( can roll up a peice of card to make a tunnel)

* a fish or mouse in a secure tank with a perch so kitty can look in

* Teddy bears and soft toys (furry, no choking hazards)

* things to climb (move furniture around so it can climb up high)
All excellent ideas except for hanging bits of ribbon or string. Ribbon and string are big No Nos for cats. Once they get it in their mouths they can't get it out, and down it goes causing all sorts of rupture and obstruction problems.

Any string type toys should be attached to a long wand or stick, used only interactively (human/cat), and put away when cat is not supervised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-15-2011   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
All excellent ideas except for hanging bits of ribbon or string. Ribbon and string are big No Nos for cats. Once they get it in their mouths they can't get it out, and down it goes causing all sorts of rupture and obstruction problems.

Any string type toys should be attached to a long wand or stick, used only interactively (human/cat), and put away when cat is not supervised.
I disagree... Ive had many cats for many years and all have been fine with ribbon and string. Its lots of fun for them!
Unread 04-15-2011   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompett View Post
I disagree... Ive had many cats for many years and all have been fine with ribbon and string. Its lots of fun for them!
I'm glad they have been fine, and you and yours have been lucky. But ribbon and string are not safe for cats. All it takes is once.

Cats are attracted to ribbon and string by instinct. When cats hunt for their supper "in the wild" they go for the entrails....intestines. That is why they like ribbon and string. Once it gets in their mouths it attaches to the little backward hooks on their tongues, and the only way to go from there is down the throat.

Once down it can cause many problems. A section can wrap around the tongue. It can get stuck in the esophagus and cause choking or suffocation. It can get wrapped up in the intestines causing obstructions and ruptures.

So I will reiterate that string and ribbon toys should be attached to a stick of some kind, used only in interactive games with humans, and should NEVER be left lying around for the cat to play with unsupervised.

Especially elastic string, and while I'm at it: rubber bands and hair ties or "pony tails".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-16-2011   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

Also if your cat ever does get a hold of any string or ribbon and you see it coming out their rear end DO NOT PULL on it trying to get it out. It may be wrapped around their intestines and the cat should be taken to the vet immediately!

I have to be very careful with anything rubber around the house because my cat will eat it. Rubber bands to balloons are off limits in my house. Not worth the chance.

You could try keeping your kitty awake more when you're awake. Then he might sleep more at night. Never allow your kitty to play rough with your hands. Use a toy or a soft puppet type stuffed animal but never bare hands.

I trained my cat not by scolding or yelling but by showing him what I DID want him to do. If he was doing something bad I would distract him with something good for him to do. Yes, it took a lot of patience and I had the time so it was easier than it may be for you, but rough play with a kitten as energetic as yours is asking for trouble when he gets older. Up close, gentle play when he's not hyper will help teach him how to play as he grows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alleygata For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-16-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
Also if your cat ever does get a hold of any string or ribbon and you see it coming out their rear end DO NOT PULL on it trying to get it out. It may be wrapped around their intestines and the cat should be taken to the vet immediately!

I have to be very careful with anything rubber around the house because my cat will eat it. Rubber bands to balloons are off limits in my house. Not worth the chance.

You could try keeping your kitty awake more when you're awake. Then he might sleep more at night. Never allow your kitty to play rough with your hands. Use a toy or a soft puppet type stuffed animal but never bare hands.

I trained my cat not by scolding or yelling but by showing him what I DID want him to do. If he was doing something bad I would distract him with something good for him to do. Yes, it took a lot of patience and I had the time so it was easier than it may be for you, but rough play with a kitten as energetic as yours is asking for trouble when he gets older. Up close, gentle play when he's not hyper will help teach him how to play as he grows.
Excellent and useful post!

please read this first

Tags
another cat , baby , behaviour , birds , bite , biting , calm , care , cat , cat answers , cat nip , cat questions , cats , crazy , crying , cut , drawing , growling , hey , home , joy , kitten , kittens , laser , mat , munchkin , new kitten , night , obstruction , opinion , play , poop , problems , rescue , scratching , shelter , sleeping , small , stop , toys , training , type

Sponsored Cat Links