It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...




Featured Photos

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2011   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Newborn
 
pompett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: peak national park, uk
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
pompett is on a distinguished road
Default

good things for play:

* boxes - with holes in the side is good

*hanging bits of ribbon/ string

*make a scratch post/ cat tree

* paper bags , tubes and tunnels ( can roll up a peice of card to make a tunnel)

* a fish or mouse in a secure tank with a perch so kitty can look in

* Teddy bears and soft toys (furry, no choking hazards)

* things to climb (move furniture around so it can climb up high)
pompett is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2011   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
acerlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 288
Thanked 275 Times in 262 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompett View Post
good things for play:

* boxes - with holes in the side is good

*hanging bits of ribbon/ string

*make a scratch post/ cat tree

* paper bags , tubes and tunnels ( can roll up a peice of card to make a tunnel)

* a fish or mouse in a secure tank with a perch so kitty can look in

* Teddy bears and soft toys (furry, no choking hazards)

* things to climb (move furniture around so it can climb up high)
All excellent ideas except for hanging bits of ribbon or string. Ribbon and string are big No Nos for cats. Once they get it in their mouths they can't get it out, and down it goes causing all sorts of rupture and obstruction problems.

Any string type toys should be attached to a long wand or stick, used only interactively (human/cat), and put away when cat is not supervised.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
acerlt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Newborn
 
pompett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: peak national park, uk
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
pompett is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
All excellent ideas except for hanging bits of ribbon or string. Ribbon and string are big No Nos for cats. Once they get it in their mouths they can't get it out, and down it goes causing all sorts of rupture and obstruction problems.

Any string type toys should be attached to a long wand or stick, used only interactively (human/cat), and put away when cat is not supervised.
I disagree... Ive had many cats for many years and all have been fine with ribbon and string. Its lots of fun for them!
pompett is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
acerlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 288
Thanked 275 Times in 262 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompett View Post
I disagree... Ive had many cats for many years and all have been fine with ribbon and string. Its lots of fun for them!
I'm glad they have been fine, and you and yours have been lucky. But ribbon and string are not safe for cats. All it takes is once.

Cats are attracted to ribbon and string by instinct. When cats hunt for their supper "in the wild" they go for the entrails....intestines. That is why they like ribbon and string. Once it gets in their mouths it attaches to the little backward hooks on their tongues, and the only way to go from there is down the throat.

Once down it can cause many problems. A section can wrap around the tongue. It can get stuck in the esophagus and cause choking or suffocation. It can get wrapped up in the intestines causing obstructions and ruptures.

So I will reiterate that string and ribbon toys should be attached to a stick of some kind, used only in interactive games with humans, and should NEVER be left lying around for the cat to play with unsupervised.

Especially elastic string, and while I'm at it: rubber bands and hair ties or "pony tails".
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
acerlt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Cool Cat
 
alleygata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 168
Thanks: 83
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road
Default

Also if your cat ever does get a hold of any string or ribbon and you see it coming out their rear end DO NOT PULL on it trying to get it out. It may be wrapped around their intestines and the cat should be taken to the vet immediately!

I have to be very careful with anything rubber around the house because my cat will eat it. Rubber bands to balloons are off limits in my house. Not worth the chance.

You could try keeping your kitty awake more when you're awake. Then he might sleep more at night. Never allow your kitty to play rough with your hands. Use a toy or a soft puppet type stuffed animal but never bare hands.

I trained my cat not by scolding or yelling but by showing him what I DID want him to do. If he was doing something bad I would distract him with something good for him to do. Yes, it took a lot of patience and I had the time so it was easier than it may be for you, but rough play with a kitten as energetic as yours is asking for trouble when he gets older. Up close, gentle play when he's not hyper will help teach him how to play as he grows.
alleygata is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alleygata For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-16-2011   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
acerlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,617
Thanks: 288
Thanked 275 Times in 262 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
Also if your cat ever does get a hold of any string or ribbon and you see it coming out their rear end DO NOT PULL on it trying to get it out. It may be wrapped around their intestines and the cat should be taken to the vet immediately!

I have to be very careful with anything rubber around the house because my cat will eat it. Rubber bands to balloons are off limits in my house. Not worth the chance.

You could try keeping your kitty awake more when you're awake. Then he might sleep more at night. Never allow your kitty to play rough with your hands. Use a toy or a soft puppet type stuffed animal but never bare hands.

I trained my cat not by scolding or yelling but by showing him what I DID want him to do. If he was doing something bad I would distract him with something good for him to do. Yes, it took a lot of patience and I had the time so it was easier than it may be for you, but rough play with a kitten as energetic as yours is asking for trouble when he gets older. Up close, gentle play when he's not hyper will help teach him how to play as he grows.
Excellent and useful post!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
acerlt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
another cat , baby , behaviour , birds , bite , biting , calm , care , cat , cat answers , cat nip , cat questions , cats , crazy , crying , cut , drawing , growling , hey , home , joy , kitten , kittens , laser , mat , munchkin , new kitten , night , obstruction , opinion , play , poop , problems , rescue , scratching , shelter , sleeping , small , stop , toys , training , type

Sponsored Cat Links


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Cat Forum Replies Last Post
Help! My oldest cat is driving me crazy! SamsMom Cat Questions and Answers 3 07-07-2010 11:38 PM
kitten is driving me insane again princesskittygirl3 Cat Behavior 53 01-04-2010 11:16 AM
pop up are driving me CRAZY!!! malondeedee Off Topic 3 07-29-2009 10:50 AM
This forum is driving me crazy acerlt Off Topic 50 07-27-2009 01:05 PM
Charm Club: Kitten-Crazy Kate admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


Sitemap: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28