It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

idaa33 is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: new kitten is driving me crazy

so i got a kitten about a month ago, he is now 3 months old. Hes driving me crazyy. At first he wasnt that bad but now hes waking me up at all hours of the night. I lock him out of my room when I'm sleeping because he attacks me every time I move and he knocks things over. I tried just ignoring him but he will stay there for 20 mins crying, he will finally stop but come back a few hours later. now that hes getting older he could jump on tables and hes digging through my plants and tearing things up. he runs around like a maniac and attacks every one biting them really hard even drawing blood. I don't know what to do any more, I've had kittens before and it was never this bad. I buy him toys and scratching posts even put cat nip on toys but he doesn't care about them. I have a laser pointer and I try to play with him but he has endless amounts of energy. I need help
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-11-2011   #2 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

First of all... that is a kitten for you... yes some of them are laxy dazy, but some are like this too... it just takes endless amounts of patience, and training, and eventually he will learn what he is and is not allowed to do.

When I got my ferrel cat (Dizi) he was much the same, and he still tries his luck with us, but we just repromand him (by shouting his name then a firm NO at the end) whenever he does something he is not supposed to, and he listens. Your kitten sounds like he is just craving more attention, and my advise to you would be to spend a little extra time with him every day, play with him, and wear him out... like I say, this takes patience and time... and every cat deserves that, doesn't matter how crazy they seem to be. He is still a baby (how old is he??) so he still has lots to learn, and for them to be brought into a humans world and for us to expect them to adapt and be perfect from day one is just unrealistic! You have to show him how to behave by training him and rewarding him when he does something you want him to do.

Hang in there, and please don't give up, whatever you do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-11-2011   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Can you have a second cat? A kitten more like 6 months or a little older. Visit your local rescue/shelter. Most places are doing a good job of temperment testing and trying to match pets to potential owners.
If you could get an older kitten to play with, and possibly teach better manners to this kitten, it would take a lot of the pressure off of you!

Unread 04-11-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

hes about to be 3 months and i give him a lot of attention. I'm afraid to get another cat lol.
Unread 04-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

I think its just going to take time and patience, he is still so small and such a baby! Like I said before, he just needs to adapt.

In my opinion I would wait on getting another cat anyway, as from my experience I know that this too can be quite traumatic on your current cat, even though he is still so young, and he would probably enjoy having a play mate, that I'm sure, however, the first week or 2 will either be peaceful, or one or the other will just be uninteristed and be growling or whatever... (like I say this is just from my experience... everyone, correct me if I'm wrong )

I would just try to give him time, a few more months, let him mature a bit more, and when you get him neutered, perhaps this will calm him down as well. He just needs to get used to his surroundings a bit more, and play a lot more and I'm sure he will be fine!

Hang in there, and please keep us posted on progress with your little munchkin!

PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Unread 04-12-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

so i talked to someone that got one of the other cats from the same litter. and we arranged a play date for them. do you think this is a good idea or he might not remember his brother?

Last edited by idaa33; 04-12-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Unread 04-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

What do you mean by play date?

This is the thing: kittens are perpetual motion machines. My kitten has three doting adults to play with her, and yet she still requires 2 half hour sessions of play time with me too, to keep her out of mischief.

Kittens have a ton of energy and need a lot of interaction to grow up well socialized.

Schedule three interactive play times of at least a half an hour, three times a day. Do these interactive play times at the same time every day. Use wand toys, string on a stick toys, fur mice, soft rolly balls.

Get some stuffed animals for kitten to pounce bite and kick on. Encourage your kitten to play with these.

Roll up a newspaper into a thick roll and encourage kitten to chase and kick and chew the newspaper.

Put a couple of cardboard boxes out, one up right and one turned on its side with the flaps hanging down, to make a Box Fort.

Put out a paper bag. Cut any handles off.

Do you have a cat tree? Kittens (and cats) need to climb and jump. To encourage climbing and jumping drag the string on a stick up the tree, and toss his toys up there.

In addition to the scheduled interactive play, keep a box full of throwable toys (crumpled paper balls work well) handy. When you are doing other things, you can still be throwing things from the box for the kitten to chase down.

He won't be a kitten forever but how you handle these growing months will determine what kind of cat he becomes. The more attention he gets, the more well adjusted he will be.

Welcome to the forum, let us know how your baby is doing.

please read this first
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-13-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

I mean that shes going to bring her kitten over to my house and we are going to let the two kittens play together
Unread 04-15-2011   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

you have to realise that they would normally have other kittens to play with. You cant really replace it with an unrelated cat either. I dont want to sound like Im preaching but you should have realised this was what you had let yourself in for! its all normal behaviour, even the biting. As kittens they bite each other loads , they are hunters and are learning how to climb trees and catch birds. As pack leader you are always going to be a lesser substitute .... the kitten is wanting you to play with her so it can learn how to hunt. This is all it exists to do apart from sleep eat and poop lol !
Unread 04-15-2011   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaa33 View Post
I mean that shes going to bring her kitten over to my house and we are going to let the two kittens play together
Cats don't really...work...that way. With play dates. That may work for dogs and kids, but cats are very territorial and usually will not instantly welcome and play with another strange cat.

I recommend you follow my advice I've already posted. Having a kitten is hard work, there's no getting around it. When I come home at night I'm tired. But I have a kitten who needs attention. Well all the cats need attention of course. But the kitten requires a good half hour of interactive play time with me, every night. It doesn't matter that she has the other cats to play with, she still needs me, as her mama, to play with her and teach her how to behave.

If you and your friend are going to do the "play date" thing, it will have to be done every single day for the cats to know one another and play together. Traveling back and forth can be stressful for most cats and kittens. Some seem to take to it very well. Let us know what happens if you try the play date thing.

please read this first

Tags
another cat , baby , behaviour , birds , bite , biting , calm , care , cat , cat answers , cat nip , cat questions , cats , crazy , crying , cut , drawing , growling , hey , home , joy , kitten , kittens , laser , mat , munchkin , new kitten , night , obstruction , opinion , play , poop , problems , rescue , scratching , shelter , sleeping , small , stop , toys , training , type

Sponsored Cat Links