It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

CarsonsMom is on a distinguished road
Question Unanswered: Aggressive Cat When I Pack

I have a four-year-old Siamese mix. He is pretty demanding of my attention. Usually he meows non-stop and chases after me, but I swear, any time I'm packing to go on a trip he becomes extremely aggressive and bites me, HARD! It's as if he sees the suitcase and knows I'm going to be gone for an extended period of time. His bites puncture the skin and I have to explain to everyone why I have four holes in my leg! Any advice on how to calm him down or to teach him that it's not okay to bite?

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-14-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The following around and talking is normal cat behavior, especially for siamese.

As for what happens when you take out your suitcase; it's not "as if" he knows, he does know when he sees the suitcase you are leaving for an extended time, and he is telling you what he thinks about that.

How often do you leave, and for how long?

What do you do about his care when you are away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-14-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

CarsonsMom is on a distinguished road

Thanks for getting back to me!

I only leave once every few months. Most trips are just extended weekend trips. (Interestingly enough, when I'm gone for a long period of time, he shows his displeasure by using my tub as his bathroom.) I have a neighbor/good friend who lives in my building take care of him. He comes over, hangs out, and plays with him.

I'm sure he has separation anxiety; he cries nonstop every morning when I'm getting ready to go to work.

I've had cats my whole life and this one is, by far, the most needy (and probably smartest). I'm not sure if it's because he's an indoor cat, his breed, or the way he's been raised!

I've thought about getting another cat to keep him company but worry that it would do more harm than good knowing how attached he is to me. The vet has even suggested Prozac!
Unread 04-15-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I'm not a fan of prozac for cats, I prefer, if medication is necessary, to use amitriptyline (I am not a vet)

But here is what I recommend, before resorting to medication. Install some feliway plug in diffusers. This will help with his general feeling of contentedness anytime you are out of the house.

Use rescue remedy, either adding it to his water, or rubbing a little on his face, before you leave the house in the morning.

Set up a regular routine with him. Interactive play time before you leave in the morning. Get him running around, that will get his endorphins flowing. In the evening, again, set aside some time just for him. Grooming him, then playing with him, no other distractions.

Do this every day.

Cats thrive on routine. He soon will come to expect these times, and know when it is time for them. These special moments with you will go a long way toward helping him feel content, and easing his anxiety.

Another cat may or may not help. I've always had multiple cats, and think that most cats prefer it that way. Someone to romp with and sleep with in a pile.

Oh yes, and put a bird feeder outside a favorite window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-15-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

yes spot on hes being clingy! prozac omg !! mine are the same , I think it depends on the personality, some of mine are very independant but others always need fuss and attention. Apart from getting them to interact with other people theres not a lot you can do about it , and siamese are very picky about who theyll interact with on the whole lol!! awww sweet
Unread 04-15-2011   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Welcome to the family!
You could try fostering a kitty and see how it works out.

Tags
advice , aggression , aggressive , another cat , anxiety , behavior , bites , breed , calm , care , cat , cat answers , cat behavior , cat questions , cats , grooming , house , indoor , kitty , moments , morning , needy , personality , play , rescue , separation , siamese , sleep , stop , vet , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links