It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

callie is on a distinguished road
Default Answered: My torty is a little crazy!

My torty cat is a foster I've had since she was probably a couple weeks old and she's pretty much never really liked me! And not to be mean but she's kinda evil!

Anyway, if I try to pet her she tries to bite/claw me; if I try to pick her up, she tries to bite/claw me. She pretty much wants nothing to do with me, even if it involves food. Unless I'm in the bathroom. If I go into the bathroom to brush my hair, get ready to go out, go to the bathroom or even shower, she follows me and stays. She even sits on my towels while I'm in the shower. She still doesn't want me to acknowledge her or try to pet her, but loves the bathroom.

Any thoughts on why she does this (or is she just crazy like I wonder)? Thanks!!

BTW, I think she's nuts but I do love her to bits!! Just wanted to make that clear.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Best Answer - Posted by acerlt
Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
I don't really try to pick her up anymore, she's just not that type of cat, that's fine. She doesn't have any interest in food, treats, anything like that. I'm just baffled by the bathroom thing!

She actually came to me with her mom and sister, mom turned out to be pregnant so she went back fairly soon afterwards. Her sister was pretty sickly from day one and died when they were a few weeks old. I have another cat, about a year older. She's about a year. And of course I have the dog (greyhound) who comes everyone gets along with, and the various fosters that come in and out.

Honestly, the only thing that puzzles me, not even bothers me I just am curious , as to why she feels she must be with me in the bathroom, but no where else.
That is a universal cat thing. Most cats follow their humans into the bathroom. I always have a crowd. No one knows why, it's just a thing cats do.

Given the fact that the other kitten didn't survive, there is probably something in her genetic make up that makes her act unsocialized. Perhaps her mother was part of a feral colony and she is deeply inbred.

I agree with the others to just let her be. Play with her when she wants to play, but don't force your attentions on her. Watch her carefully for signs of illness, if she has funky genes she may be prone to certain things.

Welcome to the forum!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-21-2011   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

What I would do is not try to pick her up anymore and wait until she jumps in your lap. You may never be able to constrain her in your arms because of her past. Sit on the floor with peices of boiled chicken and coax her to come get it. Don't try to touch her and only have one of your hands showing (sit on the other one LOL). Reach out to her with the chicken and let her smell it them slowly place it on the floor. Each time she takes it move it a little closer to you. Keep your energy real slow and eye contact for short spurts. Leave her wanting more rather than forcing her to stay. Maybe roll over and lay quietly and let her sit close but don't look at her. Sometimes with feral cats I'll even give little purrs like her mama would do. Acting like a cat helps. LOL Really, the gentle movements of a happy cat, looking at her then looking away all very slowly. She'll come around just be patient.

I'm sure others will come on to give you other ideas. Good luck!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alleygata For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-21-2011   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Considering how young she was when you first got her, she never had a chance to get properly socialized by her kitty family. Do you know why she was seperated that early?
Do you have any other cats she could learn from? How old is she?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-22-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

callie is on a distinguished road

I don't really try to pick her up anymore, she's just not that type of cat, that's fine. She doesn't have any interest in food, treats, anything like that. I'm just baffled by the bathroom thing!

She actually came to me with her mom and sister, mom turned out to be pregnant so she went back fairly soon afterwards. Her sister was pretty sickly from day one and died when they were a few weeks old. I have another cat, about a year older. She's about a year. And of course I have the dog (greyhound) who comes everyone gets along with, and the various fosters that come in and out.

Honestly, the only thing that puzzles me, not even bothers me I just am curious , as to why she feels she must be with me in the bathroom, but no where else.
Unread 04-22-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post

That is a universal cat thing. Most cats follow their humans into the bathroom. I always have a crowd. No one knows why, it's just a thing cats do.

Given the fact that the other kitten didn't survive, there is probably something in her genetic make up that makes her act unsocialized. Perhaps her mother was part of a feral colony and she is deeply inbred.

I agree with the others to just let her be. Play with her when she wants to play, but don't force your attentions on her. Watch her carefully for signs of illness, if she has funky genes she may be prone to certain things.

Welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-22-2011   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

I remember reading somewhere (I have a couple of shelves filled with cat books!) that cats enjoy bathroom time because it is very low key. Anywhere else in the house you are more likely to be bustling about; cooking, cleaning, etc. In the bathroom you may move a little slower, be calmer, be more mellow. Kinda hard to get in a hurry when you're sittin' on the toilet, hey it's true!!
Anyway, that was the reason given. It sounds good.

The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:

Tags
another cat , bite , books , cat , cat answers , cat books , cat questions , cats , cleaning , colony , crazy , dog , eye , family , feral , food , foster , happy , hey , house , joy , kitten , kitty , pet , play , pregnant , smell , thoughts , type

Sponsored Cat Links