It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Crappy
rareflightlessbird is on a distinguished road
Default Answered: When getting a second cat, does gender matter?

My abyssinian cat Millie and I recently lost our beloved tabby cat, Huxley. I'm looking for a new companion cat for Millie. I had got Millie (girl) and Huxley (boy) at the same time, when both were still older kittens. They had been great buddies, with Millie being the dominant cat and Huxley happy to be submissive. Millie is now just over two years old and the kittens I am looking at are 5 months old. Does she have a better chance of getting along with a boy or a girl, or does it not matter? Millie is an Aby so she is highly active and intelligent. She will need to be the domninat cat, so should I be chosing the kitten that is the less dominant of the pair?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Best Answer - Posted by acerlt
Hello and welcome to the forum!

In my opinion gender does not matter. Go with who Shooses you, do the introductions slowly and it will all work out. Just know that cats can be territorial and it may take Millie some time to accept the new kitten. Maybe not, but be prepared anyway.

I'm sorry for you loss of your other kitty Huxley, at such a young age. What happened to him?

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-24-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Hello and welcome to the forum!

In my opinion gender does not matter. Go with who Shooses you, do the introductions slowly and it will all work out. Just know that cats can be territorial and it may take Millie some time to accept the new kitten. Maybe not, but be prepared anyway.

I'm sorry for you loss of your other kitty Huxley, at such a young age. What happened to him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-24-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Huxley was killed by one of the neighbours' dogs that got into our garden. It has been a really dreadful few weeks and I miss him terribly. I've been battling with the council to have something done about this dog, which has escaped and killed before, but since I can't prove that this dog killed Huxley (there were no witnesses, apart from Millie, who was distressed and growling) there is nothing they will do. I have since installed a tall gate on my property and am in the process of reinforcing the fence between our properties. I also installed a surveillance camera in the garden and got footage of one of the dogs in my garden (prior to the gate going up) and the neighbours got a $300 fine. Sadly that's about as tough as it gets in this country (New Zealand).

Gayle
Unread 04-24-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

How horrible, I'm so sorry. Keep us posted on your progress in getting a new family member. Can you keep the cats inside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-24-2011   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

You are such a great kitty mommy! I am certain you are still grieving terribly and yet you put your concern for Millie first!
It is sad that the only way to keep cats 100% safe is to keep them indoors. I have found that many people could care less about the damage their animals do, but sure shape up when you hit them in the pocketbook.

Unread 04-26-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I wish that I could keep them indoors, but my kitties came to me as already seasoned outdoor adventurers and so keeping them in would have been unbearable for both me and them! Millie loves exploring and hunting and stays out all day - if I keep her in she cries and paws at the cat door and gets very bored and crazy like a polar bear in a zoo. Huxley also would disappear all day and would usually be sleeping in a sunny spot in the garden (this is how the dog caught him unawares I believe). Millie is very strong and agile and can run up trees so there is no changing her habits now. The best I can do for the new kitty once she starts going out is to cat-proof all the fences as much as possible so as to try and keep her in my garden. The new kitty is 5 months old but has already been out chasing birds at her previous home. I keep my cats in overnight, so at least I see them first thing every morning.

Tags
abyssinian , age , bat , birds , book , boy , camera , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , crazy , dogs , family , found , girl , great , growling , happy , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , loss , lost , mat , new kitten , opinion , tabby , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links