It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

RaffandLucky is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Lucky not willing to go inside the carrier

Hi all,

I've encountered the same problem everytime Lucky has an appointment at the vet. Today, I tried putting him inside the carrier but he hisses, scratches and bites me and my brother. He even spreads his legs so he won't go in the carrier. I tried putting food and toys in the carrier, but he wouldn't go all the way in. I didn't want to put him in a small luggage but I don't want him to suffocate. I think that's just cruel. Can somebody help me what I should do for next weeks appointment? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-18-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Most cats will not go into a carrier voluntarily.

First, you might try leaving the carrier out all the time, if you don't already. Just place it in a quiet spot so it becomes a familiar object. Many people who do this report their cats actually sleep in the carriers.

Here is how I do it. I put the carrier on the floor up against a wall, so it stays in place. I kneel on the floor and hold the cat facing me, so as I gently push her into the carrier she is going back end first. This works for me, because my cats are used to being handled by me. They fight and swear, but not too much.

Another recommendation I have seen is to place the carrier on it's end, with the opening facing up. Have someone hold the carrier steady, and try lowering the cat in, feet first.

Another way, which may be a little easier, is using a pillow case. One person holds the pillow case, the other holds the cat and lowers him into the pillow case feet first. Immediately hold the pillow case closed with your hands and lower the pillow case into the carrier, and shut the carrier door. He will get out of the pillow case on his own, or he may stay in it, feeling safer.

It sounds like you've been practicing. That's a good idea, though don't do it too often, or you will make him crazy. Try each idea one time, one trial a day (don't do them all on the same day!), and see how it works. If it does, open the carrier door and release him right away of course.

One more thing. There are special carriers that open from the top, but they can be expensive, if you think that might be a better option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-26-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

catsthelife is on a distinguished road

yeah i find that placing your cat in backwards makes it easier as they cant see behind where to place out their paws, also covering their eyes with your hand helps a little, once they are in just place in a familiar blanket or something that might keep them calmer on the journey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-27-2012   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

KaleighEB is on a distinguished road

Hey there! I leave Uncle Buck's carrier open all day every day with his blanket inside. I find him curled up sleeping in it all the time. He plays in and out of it, brings toys in there to hide them... When it's vet time I usually put the carrier up on the bed and I guess he's so curious why I'm moving it he gets right inside. I think it definitely helps to have it open as a hide out so he's comfortable in it and knows it's not only brought out for bad trips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaleighEB For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-04-2012   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

This sounds a bit like you don't handle or socialize with your cat enough. I pick both my cats up and calmly put them in their (soft, cloth) crates. They may wiggle when they see where we're headed, but they always go in without much fuss. Once halfway in, they will even shift reluctantly out of my arms and fully into the carrier, turning around to face me (with sad, angry eyes) as I zip it up *LOL*

I leave both carriers out, and they do sleep in them. I also use the carriers several times a year (not once a year, just to the vets) for when we visit my sister, etc.
and now
, aka "The Nefrinator"

Tags
angry , bites , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , crazy , eyes , fight , food , hey , lucky , moving , person , problem , sad , sleep , sleeping , small , socialize , toys , vet

Sponsored Cat Links