It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

samzyzg is on a distinguished road
Smile Answered: Considering getting a cat

Hello there
I've been reading up lately about cats but you read so much and much can be out of date information so i figured I'd find a forum and maybe some can advise me
I've not had cats on my own before, we had two while i was growing up.
Everyone described Lucy as evil xD she was just very much a look but don't touch me kind of cat (apart from my dad) we could pat her head slightly. Whilst spike just loved me (she was described as my cat).

Really i'm just looking for all of the basic information to be covered really. I already know if i were to get one it'd be from a shelter/rescue.

I live in Scotland by the way.

Thanks x
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Best Answer - Posted by kskat
Hopefully you will be keeping your kitty inside, it's just so much safer! Spayed/neutered much healthier and happier!
Litter box, toys, food, at least one scratching post, food/water bowls- not plastic, already have a vet lined up- you don't want to be searching during an emergency!
Are you wanting a kitten or an older cat? Kittens are wonderful and precious, but lots of work! Adult cats have more "training" and you know what the personality is. If you want a serious lap cat, you can be sure to get one! A kitten may grow up to be a lover, or can end up being one who prefers not to be "pestered". You got to experience that growing up!
What is it like for cats in Australia? We have horrible over populations, people not spaying/neutering and far too many animals killed due to a lack of responsible homes! We have a tendency to really push spay/neuter for just that reason!
It is wonderful to hear from you, a person wanting to learn all they can before getting an animal!!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-31-2012   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 1

Hopefully you will be keeping your kitty inside, it's just so much safer! Spayed/neutered much healthier and happier!
Litter box, toys, food, at least one scratching post, food/water bowls- not plastic, already have a vet lined up- you don't want to be searching during an emergency!
Are you wanting a kitten or an older cat? Kittens are wonderful and precious, but lots of work! Adult cats have more "training" and you know what the personality is. If you want a serious lap cat, you can be sure to get one! A kitten may grow up to be a lover, or can end up being one who prefers not to be "pestered". You got to experience that growing up!
What is it like for cats in Australia? We have horrible over populations, people not spaying/neutering and far too many animals killed due to a lack of responsible homes! We have a tendency to really push spay/neuter for just that reason!
It is wonderful to hear from you, a person wanting to learn all they can before getting an animal!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-31-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

I don't mind outside cats ours were however.. i'm too scared for that at the moment and since i'll be moving into a flat (still confirming a pet friendly one so still plenty of time) i can't guarantee a ground floor one with garden space so inside for sure. And when it comes to a shelter cat (unless its under a certain age) all are neutered/spayed + microchipped.

And i was considering an older cat simply for the fact i'd know its personality more also as far as i am aware kittens require regular feeding (I mean more reggular than aldut cats XD i know all animals require food) and my schedule can be a bit irregular. Plus kittens tend to get homes faster, i'd rather go for a cat who is overlooked like so many are.

I am also considering an already existing pair (since they will get along) as they will have company when i am not in.

Also can i ask why not a plastic dish for food and water? Is there a specific reason (i'm curious).

and well considering i have hamsters i did jump into them quickly without researching and quickly realised how small their cages are, went on a research mission and well now they all have appropriately sized cages (one however lives in a bit of a mansion). I've alsways been one to read up information about animals. I done a ton of research before i got my guinea pigs (it made my mum comfortable for me to have them as well when i was living with her at the time).

thats is me rambling on now xD

Also i do have to look into vets, i have a good one at the moment but since i'll be moving i need one closer. For cats i was going to ask the shelter for information on local vets. For my hamsters i'm going to look on the forum since they have a list put together of good vets for hamsters.

I supposed on the toy front it very much depends on the individual cat, i've read some are happy with scrunched up newspapers over fancier toys. Plus climbing toys are a must i'd reckon xD

Also i should really read over what i type, so many spelling mistakes!
Unread 07-31-2012   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

We need a Like button! I like you!!
Wanting to rescue the cat(s) that need you most and wanting to get a pair so one won't be lonely! You will be such a great kitty mommy!
Plastic gets scratched easily and bacteria gets in those scratches. Can't get them completely clean!
I love the fact you learned to do research. I am no longer shocked, just sad about how many people get animals without any thought. Cats, dogs and even horses get thrown away (or worse) because the owners didn't know what they were getting into.
I think the more expensive toys actually get less action! Paper, bags, boxes, hair ties, straws, toilet paper rolls, etc. are wonderful! Your kitties will let you know what they like best.
You do want to go for quality on scratching posts and trees. The cheap ones aren't worth even the lower price. Well made will be used and still last longer! I have yet to meet a cat that doesn't love the Turbo toy. It's like a big ring that ball rolls around in and has cardboard for scratching in the middle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-01-2012   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

So are cermaic dishes better? or is there a specific type you recommend?

I think from now on I really would consider rescue any animal i get from the future to be fair My little hamster rescue Hammy is the sweetest little thing (he used to attack my hand when I went near him when i first got him).

Hmm so keep the Turbo toy on a nice list of toys to get XD

I still have to consider financial side of things which is what i am weighing up at the moment.. for general costs and such I think i will be fine its wondering if i'll be able to put enough aside to cover unexpected vet bills (i would get them insured but as far as i am aware insurance obviously doesn't pay for every single thing).

But at least i know directions to look in for toys and I know for things like insurance/vet i would ask at the shelter simply because they would know more about the local area

Now to consider cat food, which is another case of depends on the individual cat, I would most likely stick with what the shelter is feeding them to avoid any stress...
Hmm is there anything else I am missing that i need to consider?
Unread 08-03-2012   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

Ceramic is great, get good heavy ones. Quality and less likely to tip over! I do avoid anything made in China, lead keeps turning up in their products.
You can definitely save money on toys, cats are easy! I love how inexpensive the Turbo toy is! An interactive toy is a must! You could make your own, with a little stick, piece of string and toy. Just put it up when finished with a play session, to be sure he/she doesn't eat the string!
If you decide to switch foods just take it slowly. Avoid foods with grains and additives, cats need real meat!
Have you kitty proofed your home yet? Kind of like baby proofing; put away cleaners and medications, pick up cords and strings, protect your fragile items, ect.

Unread 08-04-2012   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

vitaniya is on a distinguished road

Cats are adorable and special,you can have one.
Unread 08-04-2012   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Well since its rented accommodation i'll be living in shortly (they are aware i'm considering a cat and it is a pet friendly let) so no i haven't cat proofed.

I am thinking of how to cat proof my hamster cages at the moment (I have 4 of them and are all in DIY cages, 2 of them are easy with just clips on the lid, the other two are more troublesome so require a bit of thought).

Also thanks for the china hint there

And yes i have done some research into avoiding grains and such from cat food since they don't need it and its added carbohydrates which they don't need.

Also I don;t eat meat (amusing I know xD) however my partner does so i did suggest if he got anything he could get a bit extra occasionally for them (them still being hypothetical). I'm pretty sure cats can eat raw meat (natural would in the wild) but would the be able to eat raw butchers meat?
Unread 04-08-2013   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

jimmyjjohn is on a distinguished road

Hello Dear

Tags
adult , age , bills , box , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cats , clean , food , friendly , hey , home , homes , kitten , kittens , kitty , moving , neutering , personality , play , raw , rescue , scared , scratching , shelter , spay/neuter , spayed , toys , training , type , vet , vet bills , water

Sponsored Cat Links