It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: kitty cries for the outdoors...

Hi everyone!

I have a declawed and "fixed" kitty, who's currently 11 years old. On Christmas, he "escaped". He's never been one to dart for the door - but apparently got brave this day. He slipped out and was out for about 45 minutes until we realized he wasn't nestled cozily inside. When I went out, he was a few houses down.. I called his name and he came over meowing and purring.

Welp, although *we* about had a hear attack - he apparently LOVED it. Now.. every day since (mostly at night but some during the day) he will meow, meow, meow... and meow some more... because he wants to go outside.

Letting him roam around, to me, is not an option. He's declawed and we have no fence. Do you know if he will ever stop crying to get out? Is there ways to make him stop? I love my kitty but HOLY COW these last few WEEKS of crying every night is reeeeaaaaaaaalllly getting to me.

thoughts?

Thanks!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-12-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

I recommend you take him to the vet, first. Sudden constant meowing is a sign of certain illnesses, such as hyperthyroid disease and high blood pressure. Both are treatable with medication, but are very serious if left untreated.

That the meowing started after the one time escape could just be a coincidence.

If he gets a clear bill of health after bloodwork (only way to check the thyroid) and a blood pressure check, you have a couple of options.

You can install, buy or build a cat safe outdoor enclosure.

You can see if he will accept harness training and take him out on supervised walks (never tether a cat outside) or you can wait it out and hope he forgets after a while.

Feliway plug in diffusers might help, or some Rescue Remedy.

But I would definitely take him to the vet first. That meowing would worry me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-12-2013   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road

thanks acerlt. i may have to take him to the vet - but i really don't think it's anything health related. he actually sits by the door (that he escaped from) while meowing.

i didn't even think about those diffuser things.. i have some of the plugs from before that seemed to work good when i was trying to calm my kitties after the move - just need to get some refills to do the trick.

if the above doesn't work, i may see about taking him outside for a walk.. i'm kinda hoping the above DOES work or that he forgets about his adventure and remembers how much he loved being an indoor cat, lol!

thanks again for the ideas

Tags
attack , calm , cat , cat answers , cat questions , christmas , crying , fixed , health , hyper , indoor , kitties , kitty , meowing , night , outdoor , rescue , stop , training , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links