It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Confused
MsScream is on a distinguished road
Question Unanswered: Hi! Loaded question about reunited brother and sister ~9 week old kittens!

Hello,
I'm new here, but I am desperate for help. Please excuse my long-winded question.
I recently got my boyfriend a kitten (from a litter of three) from a woman who lives about two towns over for his birthday. The woman said they were born February 23, we picked up a boy when he was about six weeks old and didn't realize he would be so sad alone. He is an over-active little nut ball and he loves to play, swat at things, jump on things, and dig into things constantly. This includes my boyfriend and I, especially at night. My boyfriend works 12 hour shifts so we can't have a kitty jolting from one end of the room to the other all night so we set our spare room up for him to play/sleep in at night.(equipped with food, water, litter pan, bed, TV, and a bizillion toys) The only bad part to this, he is right next door and he screams and yowls and cries all night for us! He hates being alone. I felt so horrible and people were telling me that maybe if he had another kitten to play with he would be happier alone. I seen the woman on facebook trying to get rid of the last kitten and the mother. After a few days of deliberating whether we could take care of two kittens, we decided to pick up his sister as well. We brought her home last night, they had been apart for approximately a month. She absolutely hates her brother now. She hisses and swats at him any time he comes near. She actually hisses at just about everything other than humans. (She loves cuddling me so I don't think she feels to threatened) He is a little goofball so I do not believe he realizes she does not want him hear because he repeatedly tries to play with her. He gets into his stance that he does when we dangle his toys in front of him. I know he is playing and not fighting, but she is definitely fighting while he plays with her. She hurt him and he ran, but he just goes back to play. He is a hyper little thing and i feel so bad for him. So my question is how do I get them to be alright with each other? Is there anything i can do to help the female calm down? I feel bad for both of them and now we have two kitties who don't like to sleep alone and act crazy at night. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-26-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Congratulations on your new family members! I'm glad you went and got the sister, too.

First of all, the kittens aren't "overactive" or "hyper" this is normal kitten behavior and it will go on for a good year or two.

They will get used to one another pretty soon. Six weeks was much too young for the little boy to have left his mother and litter mates, and she had the added benefit of another four weeks, so she is probably more developed in a catly way.

Actually if you've had the boy for a month, and he was born on Feb 23, he was barely 5 weeks old. Poor little thing no wonder he cries.

Let them work out their relationship on their own, they are barely 2 months old so I doubt it will take long.

However there are some things that need to be done. First of all, kittens need a ton of human interaction, including play time. The kittens need to be played with by you several times a day. Especially since they are shut in one room at night, they need this interaction from both of you during the day.

Feed them a good canned diet. No dry stuff. It's bad for them, and can cause a ton of health problems long term. Canned food will keep them healthy and may even prevent behavior problems.

Make sure they have sufficient elevated space for two. Cats like to be up high, so they need safe things to climb and jump and scratch on.

Provide a variety of scratchers for them right off, to prevent any bad furniture scratching habits.

The female will need to be spayed in a couple of months, since you have both a male and female. Get the girl done first, because they can go into heat as young as 4 months. The little boy can wait until six months or so. don't put this off or you will end up with a pregnant kitten. Not a fun thing.

Enjoy them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-26-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-05-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

liamajhons is on a distinguished road
Default Nice

Congratulations for the new addition in your family as this will be good for you as well as your family members.
Unread 05-06-2014   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

KittenJP is on a distinguished road
Talking Similar situation

Hi,

We are having a very similar situation, currently working through it. I'll share anything that we find out that works and is worthwhile.

Good luck.

Tags
advice , birthday , boyfriend , brother and sister , calm , care , cat answers , cat questions , cool , crazy , diet , facebook , female , fighting , food , hey , home , hurt , hyper , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , night , play , problems , question , sad , sleep , toys , water

Sponsored Cat Links