It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-01-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Bubbles_Mom is on a distinguished road
Default Unanswered: Fentanyl pain patches for cat's cancer

Hello Fellow Cat People

I have searched the internet for help with my situation and could find nothing. I am hoping that other cat owners can give me some advice. Our 17-year-old cat Bubbles has a rare form of cancer. The vet has prescribed Fentanyl pain patches to control his pain. We shave/clip the hair off of a spot on his back so he can't reach the patch, and apply a new one every 3 days. They work great on his pain. It is a miracle. BUT the adhesive is so sticky that I have a heck of a time removing the old patch on the third day. It's awful! I've tried soaking it in olive oil, using an expensive "human" medical adhesive remover like they use in hospitals, and I currently use something called De-Solv-It. The patch is small, only about an inch long, but it still takes close to an hour to remove it using a QTip and slowing going back and forth under the patch once I can get a corner peeled back and started. Plus I have to take several breaks because Bubbles gets fussy and it pulls his skin/fur and hurts.

It is tedious, painful and traumatic for both of us. We tried a different brand of patch, Duregesic. They were better but Bubbles had a bad reaction to them. This Mylan brand is very effective, but I just can't get it off.

Does anyone have any experience with pain patches for cats? Any advice at all?

Thank you so much!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-01-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Provided Answers: 18

Oh I am sorry about your kitty but it sounds like you are taking great care of him.

Are you on Facebook? I just did a quick search and there are a number of feline cancer groups available. I would recommend you join one, or more, of them, I bet you will get some great tips and support there.

I typed "Feline Cancer" in the search box. Best of luck to you and your precious Bubbles. x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-01-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Bubbles_Mom is on a distinguished road

Thanks! That's a great idea!
Unread 02-17-2015   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry to hear that.
I like your spirit for her treatment. According to me Fentanyl is a noninvasive pain relief system and very helpful for pain patches for cats. But it also depends upon your cat age and behaviour.

Tags
advice , age , behaviour , box , care , cat , cat answers , cat questions , cat's , cats , clip , facebook , fur , great , hey , internet , kitty , medical , rare , search , small , tips , vet

Sponsored Cat Links