Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum

Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/)
-   Cat Questions and Answers (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-questions-and-answers/)
-   -   Neeeed help with a previously abused kitty (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-questions-and-answers/57881-neeeed-help-previously-abused-kitty.html)

YipSkippityDoo 05-17-2015 01:55 AM

Neeeed help with a previously abused kitty

I found a pure siamese cat in a bush outside of a hotel. I thought it was a kitten because she was so tiny, but when I took her to the vet to have her scanned for a chip, they said she was about 4 years old. So, fully grown, but very small (not malnourished at all...just tiny), she's been declawed but not spayed. I tried everything to find her home, since she was clearly not a feral...a run away..or abandoned. She has clearly been abused. It took a year to get her to trust humans. Before that she would hide under furniture and occasionally come out to eat or use the box. I had to teach her how to act like a cat. She didn't know how to play with toys or interact with our other cat.

Now that she's comfortable with getting love from humans, she is out of hiding all the time, sleeps on TOP of the bed instead of under it, plays with her toys and with our other cat. Since she's been completely social, we started to notice a swaying in her eyes back and forth, sometimes even to the point where she's slowly shaking her head back and forth to sort of keep up with the back and forth of her eyes. Did some Googling at found some stuff saying possible brain damage from abuse...but, I don't fully trust everything that Google produces...so any thoughts on the eye sway would be helpful.

Next, and main question...I've read that saimese are very vocal. And the whole time she lived in hiding, she was silent, but I wasn't alarmed, she was just scared of the world. But now, she's queen of the house and her favorite is sitting at the window *attempting* to meow at the birds...only meows don't come out...sometimes its like a squeak or almost like a quiet bark. And sometimes when you pick her up you can see her mouth trying to meow but no sound comes out. It's not an infection cause it's always been this way. I'm scared that it's yet another symptom of being abused. It is possible to permanently damage a cat's meow? Like she lost her voice...

acerlt 05-17-2015 08:00 AM

I wonder if she has been de-voiced along with being declawed. Yes greedy vets will actually do this.

Have you had her spayed I hope?

Can you imagine how sick someone must be to want to amputate a cat's toes but not spay her, and possibly remove her larynx too?

Probably used her as a kitten making machine, then dumped her when she wasn't producing healthy kittens.

I would have the vet take a look at her throat, I don't know if it would be obvious if that has happened to her.

Congratulations on the rescue, and helping her finally learn how to be a cat and feel safe and loved. You're the best!

nhuanqm 05-18-2015 10:11 PM

it abandoned ?

andrewgrayson15 01-29-2016 01:48 AM

I think, if she has been de-voiced along with being declared. Yes, greedy vets will actually do this. Have you had her spayed I hope? Can you imagine how sick, someone must be to want to amputate a cat's toes, but not spay her, and possibly remove her larynx too? Probably used her as a kitten making machine, then dumped her when she wasn't producing healthy kittens. I would have the vet take a look at her throat, I don't know if it would be obvious if that has happened to her. But I would like to you wish Congratulations on the rescue, and helping her finally learn how to be a cat and feel safe and loved. Really, You are the best!