Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum

Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/)
-   Cat Questions and Answers (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-questions-and-answers/)
-   -   Biting Cat (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-questions-and-answers/57945-biting-cat.html)

furbabiesfour 09-20-2015 04:56 AM

Biting Cat

Hi there,
I have had my cats for nearly 6 years and one of them has just recently started bite holding me ie: biting me, usually on the hand or arm and not letting go. He does it when he is lying next to me, usually when I pat him but not always.
While he bites me he makes a weird meowing noise. I have to physically push him off as the longer he holds on the harder he bites.
I'm confused to this behaviour as he has never done this before up until about 2 weeks ago. He's usually really loving and affectionate, sits on my lap, sleeps next to me during the night and follows me around the house. He even sits on the bath mat and waits for me to get out of the shower sometimes.

(I have 4 cats which are all related, Mum and 3 of her kids. Even though Pumpkin, the cat in question, has just recently starting this behaviour he does bite his sister and is a bit of a bully towards her.)

Any help with why he is doing this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

acerlt 09-21-2015 07:30 AM

Any change in behavior should be treated as a health concern. It's possible your cat is in pain and this is his only way of telling you. Vet check up first.

He is neutered?

With males of course my first thought is always urinary tract issues.
Are his litter box habits normal?
Is he peeing okay?
Do you notice him spending more time in the litter box, or making repeated trips to the boxes?
Are you seeing any smaller than normal pees in the box?
Little dot pees?

furbabiesfour 09-22-2015 03:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. He is neutered.
I haven't noticed his litter box habits, having four cats it's a bit hard to know who is doing what!
He seems perfectly fine though, eating normally etc. My other male cat did have urinary tract problems about a year ago and I could tell quite clearly that he wasn't well and rushed him off to the vet.
I'll keep a close eye on him as I know urinary problems are a serious concern.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

andrewgrayson15 12-14-2015 01:06 AM

All kittens and young cats need to play. Play is normal behavior that provides young animals with opportunities to develop their physical coordination and problem-solving skills. It also gives them a chance to hone their social skills with members of their own species. It’s very common for kittens and young cats to engage in rough, active play because all feline play consists of mock aggression. Cats stalk, chase, pounce, swat, kick, scratch and bite each other-all in good fun. However, people often misinterpret this kind of behavior as aggression when it’s directed toward them.